CHAPTER 32

“Miss Gwendaline, Mr. Ntanzi is asking that you come to his office.” The Science clerk states standing at my door. I frown.
“Who is Mr. Ntanzi and which department is he in?” I enquire because I have not heard of or met any Ntanzi since I arrived here.

“He is the Arts department. He teaches dance. You know the building, right?” I nod. “His office is the first one after the clerk’s office.”
“Okay. Thank you. Any idea why he is looking for me?”
She shakes her head. “I was only told to pass the message.” She nods at me and walks away.

I lock my office and head over to the Arts building. My mind travels to last night. I had so much fun with Makho last night, I don’t wanna lie. I got spoiled and he actually made me feel loved. He had his asshole moments but he was real with me the whole time. We ended spending the night at the hotel and he fucked me the whole night. I got to rest at 3am. I am lucky that the hotel actually provided us with condoms, at his request because I would’ve been pregnant by now. Which reminds me, I should go get a contraceptive tomorrow after school because a baby is not something I need right now as my career is picking up.

I finally get to the Arts department and it doesn’t take long for me to locate Mr. Ntanzi’s office. I have never been called by any teacher here to their office, so I am really confused by this summoning act. I hope this mister will provide some clarity. I knock and open the door at once. I leave it open and step inside this office. It’s really huge and very different from mine but I won’t compare myself with someone who has been at the school for longer than me. A small door on the left side of the office opens and someone emerges. I nearly curse under my breath. It’s that asshole who said the boys are charming. I turn to make my way out and he speaks up.

“Oww come on. I thought we left last week’s news in last week. Or were you that offended?” I huff and turn to face him.
“Not even a single bit. For me to be offended would actually mean I am guilty of something. I just don’t like being summoned like a child. I don’t owe you anything. You are not my superior, so you don’t get to call me to your office only to talk shit.”

“Ouch.” He places his hand in his chest like he has been injured or something. “Are you always this serious and so uptight? I swear the only time I saw you smile was with Mesuli, so that’s why I am so convinced that you were actually flirting with him. Why am I not afforded the same smile?”
“You don’t deserve it. Why am I here?” I ask, folding my arms to my chest.

“I am no caveman, Miss Gwendaline. I don’t finish all business while standing. Please, take a seat.” I scoff and seat on the chair he has pointed at. “We went our separate ways on bad terms last time. I would like to tell you that I am no jerk and I don’t get charmed by boys. I am quite fully invested in your gender actually. So whatever conclusion you have made about me, scratch it out. I am Kwenzokuhle Ntanzi and I teach dance to grade 10, 11 and 12.” I nod, not sure how I enter in all of this because I am not interested in knowing him. “I already know about you.”

“That concludes the introductions. Am I free to leave now?” I ask and we frown.
“I thought we were still talking.”

“The word ‘we’ entails two people doing the same thing and in this scenario, you were talking and I was in between listening and dozing off. But I did get your name and surname, Kwanzo Ntanzo. I will make sure to tattoo it on my arm so that I don’t forget it.” I smile at him before standing up and heading back to my office. Some educators have time to play.

I head to Mesuli’s class and he smiles at me when I enter the classroom. I teach them today’s lesson and when they are done, they show me their weekend’s activity and how they did it. When I get to Mesuli, I discover that he did it but in a totally different way, somehow the outcomes are the same with everyone else, it’s just that his method is very different and foreign.

“THAT’S IT FOR TODAY, STUDENTS. WE WILL SEE EACH OTHER AGAIN TOMORROW. MESULI, PLEASE STAY BEHIND!” I announce and the students pack their bags before heading out. Mesuli comes to my desk with his head hung low.

“I failed, didn’t i?” I smile at him.
“You didn’t. You just did things differently. You actually taught me a new way of analyzing life sciences and I am really proud of you. How did you come up with this method?” I ask and I see his smile spreading through his cheeks.

“I really did well?” he asks. Not believing my words.
“Yes, you did. Before I say anything else, explain to me how you did it.”

He blushes. “Well it’s about something you said on Friday. You said there are many ways to kill a cat. Just because your method is not the same with others doesn’t mean it doesn’t get things done. So I tried it with my school work and compared it to the study material you gave us. I was surprised to see the same results.” I smile at him.

“You are a genius. Has anyone ever told you that?” he shakes his head. “Don’t be ashamed by this. I need to sit down with your other teachers and parents and actually show them this. You can actually make history, Mesuli. Don’t be ashamed of who you are. We are going places, you are going places.” He nods with a newfound confidence.

“Thank you so much Miss Gwendaline.” The bell rings. “Have a great day.” he walks out and I smile. I have never encountered something like this before. It’s like a story one of my lecturers once told us back in varsity. I really need to set an appointment with his other teachers and parents. We could be harboring the school’s genius without even knowing it because some of us lack knowledge.

“Let me drop you off.” Rena offers as we exit the science department after school.
“If that won’t trouble you too much.” I murmur and she smiles.
“Not at all.” I nod and we head to her car. We climb inside and she drives off.
“Do you know Mr. Ntanzi who teaches dance?” I ask and she nods.

“He is the school’s biggest douchebag. He has slept with most of the unmarried female teachers. He usually targets the new ones like you. I guess I didn’t make it to his hit list because I am kind of like an alumni. Some of the teachers still treat me like a student.” I chuckle.

“I feel you. Anyways this asshole found me chatting with one of my students, Mesuli, and he said I was flirting with the student. That angered me. I just left him standing there and today he actually had the audacity to summon me to his office like I am his servant or something.”

She laughs. “Ladies usually love that arrogance. One teacher from language department said the same arrogance turned her on.” I roll my eyes.
“One arrogant jerk in my life is enough. There is no room for another one.” She chuckles.
“Did I miss something?” I shake my head, smiling.

“No, except for the fact that I am inviting you for dinner at my place Friday night. I am planning on inviting two of my other friends, so I don’t want you to get confused when you get there.”

“I will definitely be there. Thank you. I need to book myself into a hotel this weekend anyways because my sister’s fiancé is coming and I don’t wanna disturb them.” I nod. She parks outside my apartment.

“Thank you for the lift. See you tomorrow at work.”
“Pleasure babes.”

I get off the car and she drives away. I greet the security guard at the gate before proceeding to the building. The elevator carries me to the 4th floor and the moment I enter my apartment, I take off my heels. Walking in them all day is no joke. Just as I am about to close the door, Makho steps in carrying a shopping bag.

“Shame, you look tired.”
“It’s all your fault.” I murmur and he laughs.
“What did I do?”
“You kept me up till dawn. It’s a miracle that I didn’t yawn during my classes.” He chuckles.

“I am sorry, love. I am here to give you a mini spa treatment before I leave.” He shows me the bag. It has a spa logo on the outside.
“You better do a splendid job.”
“My love, I excel in everything I do.” he says with a smirk and I roll my eyes.