CHAPTER 55

"Vuka sikhulume. (Wake up, let's talk.)" His voice drags me from my deep slumber. What the fuck is wrong with this man?

"Babe, not now." I mumble and turn to face the other side.

"Aibo, Chizoba. We need to talk." Is this what men are faced with every time a woman demands a talking session? Especially in the middle of the night? I mumble some curses in Igbo while sitting up. He is seated on the edge of the bed with his legs folded. The only source of light present is the side lamp. I lean on the head board and sigh.

"What is it that you wanna talk about?" I ask, fully awake. This man is not without drama.

"Who is Joseph?" I wanna laugh so badly. Why couldn't he ask me this when I arrived or at the morning?

"Fuck, Makho. What time is it?"

"02:36 but that's not important. Who the hell is Joseph?" why does he sound like a scorned woman right now?

I scoff. "I never told you his name. How do you know it?"

He rolls his eyes. "The one who gave birth to me sent me an email after not reaching me on my phone and the email stated 'hello star ka Joseph'. So that's why I know the priest's name."

"First of all, he is not a priest. He is a junior accountant at some firm but that's not important. Joseph is my ex fiancé."

"I am sorry, your what?" he asks, shocked.

"We were engaged to be wed."

"When was this? Why didn't you tell me about this fiancé of yours? Why am I hearing about him now?"

"This was 4 years ago. I was head over heels in love with him. We dated for several months and then he sent his family to pay dowry to mine. All was well. After the dowry, I went to his family homestead for the first visit. When I was there, a woman came and claimed to be pregnant with his child. He confirmed the pregnancy and I broke the engagement. My father was more than happy to return back the dowry money because he thought I was too young to get married. Since that incident, I never spoke to Joseph. I only bumped into him three days ago and we went to lunch. Honestly, I needed the closure and I got it. I am sorry if it made you feel insecure and distrust me. I never intended that."

He sighs. "Come here." he opens his arms and I crawl to them. He engulfs me and I melt in his embrace. "No woman deserves to be cheated on, let alone humiliated like that. I can imagine what your neighbours and haters said when they leant of your failed engagement. Now, is Joseph married to this woman he impregnated?"

I shake my head. "He said he regrets his actions and he wants me back."

"Shame. I envy him because I am never letting you go." I grin. This man is so jealous and it's cute.

"I love you." I murmur, already sleepy.

"Hey, we are still talking." He looks at me and I chuckle lazily.

"We can still talk tomorrow." He pouts and I perk his lips. "Now tell me you love me so that I can sleep peacefully."

He chuckles. "I love you infinity times infinity."

...

Again I am awakened by this troublesome man of mine. This time around he is demanding sex with the cutest facial expression I have ever seen. I am sure if we were to ever have kids, they would always give me this puppy face every morning when they want something.

"Babe, stop it." I say, pulling the cover over my head. After fucking me last night, we went to sleep naked and even after our midnight talk, we never put on any clothes. He goes underneath the cover and I feel his tongue on my feet. I giggle loudly. "Makho, stop. I have work today."