CHAPTER 31

“I still can’t believe it. How did you guys get here? Phela the only thing I remember is how he disrespected you. How did you go from tearing each other apart to waking up in the same bed?” Zoe asks as we sit on a quiet booth at Page Heaven and wait for our order. I blush and look down. Zoe is my friend, but she is also the mother of my man, ow wow, that was fast. From asshole to my man. We really moved fast. I look at her.

“You have to understand that there are some things I won’t discuss with you, Zoe because it will fill so weird. But first things first, there is a very thin line between love and hate. As thin as a string of cotton.” She nods.

“It’s also a bit uncomfortable for me, but I just hope that it won’t come between us.” I smile.
“Never.” I look around again and I can’t help but fall in love. This is paradise. It’s a place which any writer or reader has to know of. Each town has to have at least one shop of Page Heaven. I stand up. “Let me check if I will find any book I like in these shelves.”

Zoe smirks at me. “1 chapter then we are done. I don’t wanna be on my son’s bad side. I also don’t want us to be even. He still owes me a trip.” She stands and I just laugh quietly. We surf through the book shelves and I finally find The Fugitives by Nathi Olifant. I have read the first book. I just never found time to purchase the second one. “It looks thick. Just make sure it doesn’t keep you here all day.” I chuckle.

“What are you reading?”
“Scarred by Ayanda Xaba.”
“The title is interesting.” She nods.
“Yeah. If I like the first chapter, I will buy it.”

We return to our booth and we find our food already waiting for us. We eat as we page through the books. Time flies when you’re having fun, or in our case, reading books. I am only disturbed by a hand shaking my shoulder. I raise my head and I chuckle when I see Makho.

“Hey. What brings you here?” I ask. He looks at his wrist watch.
“Your breakfast is 5 hours?” he asks and I frown. “It’s 1pm love. I thought you were going to text me sooner but I guess you got lost between the pages.”
“Shh.” Zoe shushes Makho and I giggle.

“Hey, call your man. I am leaving with my woman.” Makho states, folding his arms to his chest. I am not going get involved in this squabble. I quietly stand up and look at Makho with an innocent smile.
“I like this book. It’s R295.” I give him puppy eyes.
“Also add this one.” Zoe says placing the book she was reading in my arms. Makho chuckles.

“I should get you a gift card which I will refill every month so that I don’t have to buy books randomly.” He drawls, taking the books into his arms. I was definitely not planning on making him buy the book for me. It was just a spur of the moment decision. I hope he doesn’t see this action as me exploiting him.

“Son, that’s one of your most important duties, buying new books every now and then. My wife is not afraid to call me in the middle of a trial just to tell me, ‘Siba Panono has released a new book titled Relapse. I want it’ and then she hangs up.” We hear Mr. Gumbi’s voice before we see him wrapping his arms around Zoe’s waist. “You leave me in bed so early in the morning just to disturb poor kids?” he asks his wife and she just giggles.

“Sorry.” She mumbles.

Makho grabs my hand and pulls me to the counter. He pays for the books and then gives his mother her book. We proceed to his car. He hands me the keys.

“Do you have a license?” he asks.
“The question should be ‘do I know how to drive’? Because having a license and knowing how to drive in South Africa are two different things.” he laughs. “Fortunately I am skilled in both.” I snatch the keys from him and climb into the driver seat. He settles into the passenger seat and I drive off. “So you had to track us down?”

He chuckles. “I am leaving tomorrow afternoon. I have even decided to move my flight to 6pm so that I can spend a bit of time with you after school.”
“Are you always this clingy?”
“No, but I stofu siku 6, so I can’t seem to leave. The heat is pulling me in.” I frown.
“What does that mean? The sotofu thing?” he laughs.

“You will understand some day.” he types in some coordinates on the navigator and then sits back.
“Where are we going?”
“Follow the coordinates.” I roll my eyes. “Now, tell me something I don’t know about you. Let’s start with your family. I mean it’s only fair I know about them because you have met mine.”

I chuckle. “I have seven siblings and I am the middle child.”
“Do you get attention from your parents? Middle children are always neglected.” I snort.

“That’s not the case, at home. I think I was the most spoiled one growing up because I love both parents equally. Most of my siblings are kind of biased. My oldest sister, Nneka, is a marine biologist overseas. She is also in town for some work but we will spend time together after she is done with her project. You met the other one on Friday. Then there is my brother, Chiagozie, who is currently in hot waters with his wife because he impregnated his side chick. The fifth child is probably my favourite sibling because she is a younger version of me. Her name is Kosisochukwu and she is so intelligent. Ndidiamaka is a daddy’s girl. And lastly, Chukwudi is a mama’s boy. Kinda like you.” he laughs.

“That’s not true. Masande is a mama’s boy.”
“Not from what I observed. They are closer because of the same hobby they share. You are the only child who didn’t move to another province or country after varsity. That’s not because of work opportunities. You just didn’t wanna go far away from your mother. You also regret forgetting her birthday. It might be made a joke from time to time but it haunts you.”

He grunts. “You can shut up now.”
“Ouch, hit a nerve?”

“YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR DESTINATION!” the white lady behind the navigator states as I stop the car in the gates of Four Seasons Hotel The Westcliff. My mouth is wide open. I am sweating and I am shaking. Fuck. I think I am going to pass out just from staring at the entrance. Why didn’t he warn me? I turn to him.

“Why didn’t you tell me we were coming here? I could’ve dressed better.” He smirks.
“If I thought there was something wrong with your outfit, I would’ve politely told you to change. Now please drive in, unless you want security to think we are here to rob the hotel.”

I try to stay calm and drive in, slightly waving at the security. We climb off at the driveway and a valet takes the car keys. Soft life, I am telling you. We step inside the hotel and I am in awe. Is this what dating Makho is all about? Fine dining and visiting luxurious hotels at random times of the month? Well if that’s the case, count me in. what girl doesn’t want a bit of spoiling every now and then? I can’t wait to tell Mathenji, Rena and Quinn about all of this. Maybe I should invite them over to my house this weekend. We are led to the restaurant and the hostess leads us to our table, with her ass swaying from side to side. I can’t help but notice it. It’s so huge.

“Please be seated. A waiter will bring your menus shortly.” She states in a polite voice, smiles and then walks back to the door. We sit down.
“Did you see her ass, though?” I ask Makho in a whisper.

“Yeah. It looks fake.” My eyes pop out. Did he just say that out loud? Is he crazy? He chortles. “How can I be staring at someone’s ass while yours was just a few centimeters away from me? All I wanted was to grab it and squeeze it but I don’t wanna be arrested for public indecency.” Is he this sexual or he is just sex hung-over?

“You’re crazy.” I mutter.
“For you.” the next hour is spent with him trying to make jokes but I am laughing because he is making a joke of himself. “I am the worst, right?” he asks and I laugh harder.

“I didn’t say anything. Maybe it’s the language barrier.” I tease and he laughs because we have been speaking English the whole time.
“I should get a tutor to teach me Igbo.” I quickly shake my head.
“No, I need to be able to gossip about you with my sisters.” He laughs.
“That’s not a good enough reason. You should also get someone who will teach you Zulu so that you don’t feel left out at times.”
“I will ask Zoe.”
“Good luck. She doesn’t have the patience for teaching. You guys will end up gossiping or discussing books anyways.” I break into laughter.
“That’s not true.” He gives me a knowing look and I smile, rolling my eyes. “Whatever.”