CHAPTER 42

My phone rings and I bite my lip when I see who is calling. I swallow hard and then answer it.

“Hey love.” I shriek and I immediately want to kill myself. Why the fuck did I just do that? This man will see right through me. He is a lawyer for godsake.

“I don’t want it to seem like I am keeping tabs on you or what, but my car has a tracker and I don’t like your current location. What the fuck are you doing near Digger’s place?” he is not shouting but I can sense his anger through the phone.

I look around and luckily I spot a nice cozy coffee shop which you can really miss if you’re in a hurry. “I just recently leant that there is this lovely café around here. It is so peaceful and they serve good muffins.”

He scoffs. “I thought Page Heaven was the place for you. I am not trying to control you or anything, but you are in a danger zone. One of the most dangerous gangsters in Joburg lives only a few meters from where you’re parked. I swear, when I come back, I will personally go and buy those muffins for you. Just promise me you won’t return to this place. Please.” I detect something I have never heard in his voice before. Fear. Is Nathan really that dangerous? I swallow hard and nod but then remember that this is not a video call and my words are needed.

“I promise you, babe. I won’t ever come here again.”
He sighs. “I need to go. I am on a late meeting with a witness. I love you.”
“I love you too.” I hang up and exhale loudly.

Since I have lied about their muffins, I might as well go and check how they taste. Maybe they are awful. I take my card and climb off the car. I head inside and the heavenly scent of fresh coffee welcomes me. It is so warm and cozy inside. Jesus Christ. I feel at home. This would also be a great place to read or even write. I smile as I make my way to the counter.

“Good evening and welcome to Cindy’s café. How can I make your afternoon brighter?” the super friendly cashier asks and her smile is contagious.
“This is my first time here and I just lied to my boyfriend that you guys serve the most delicious muffins in town. Is that true?”

She laughs. “I believe so. Our owner, who is a pastry chef, makes it her own mission to bake every morning. She has a secret recipe and, because we don’t like lying to customers, she always make extras just for tasting. But that’s only valid to new customers. Would you like a taste?”

“Why are you even asking?” she chuckles before taking a box from behind the counter.
“Here you go. You can sit there for now while doing your tasting. Would you like a juice or coffee in the mean time?”
“A café latte will do.” I head to the single chair and table vacant.

MATHENJI GASA

I tap on the door with my sweaty hands. He did open the gate for me, but now he is just making shit hard for me. I mean why else would he not leave the door open while expecting a visitor? With the others, it was easier. Although they didn’t understand what they had done, they did let me go. The person who seemed not to take this well was Bangi. He even shed a few tears and begged me but my mind was made up.

I wish I can say he is the guy for me and when I am done fixing my life, maybe we can give love a try if he is still single but I know that’s not the truth. The fact that I was able to fall for Nathan in such a short space of time means whatever I felt for Bangi is not strong enough for me to want to be monogamous with him. A few moments later, the door opens and there is my soon to be ex-boyfriend standing there in just a Calvin Klein underwear. He frowns at me and I know that means I should say something. I clear my throat. I might as well finish what I came for here on the door without even entering the devil’s lair because once I am in, I won’t be able to get out.