CHAPTER 15

The following day while mopping on aisle 5, I receive a call. It’s from Thubelihle Secondary School. I nearly scream when the admin clerk informs me about the success of my application. OMG! Things are happening. She tells me to come sign the contract tomorrow. I am also expected to start the week after the following. Which means I must serve my one week notice to my supervisor and she will inform the manager. I quickly finish moping aisle 5 and head back to the staff room. Luckily I find MaNyathi sitting and busy with her phone.

“MaNyathi.” She raises her head and smiles at me.
“Chizoba, is everything okay?” I nod quickly.
“I passed my interview and I am starting the week following the next one.” She stands and comes to hug me.
“Wow. I am so happy for you. We need good news around here.” I smile.
“Thank you. So can I put in my notice?” she nods.

“I have to sort out some paperwork but it will be all ready for you to sign by knock off time or tomorrow morning. You are expected to serve at least 7 full days without an off day. Meaning we are going to let your Saturday off slide but from Sunday, you have to work the full week and Saturday next week will be your last day.” I smile widely.

“Thank you so much. You are the kindest manager I have ever dealt with.” She chuckles.
“Oww I try.”
“Modesty will get you nowhere.” She laughs. “I better get back to work, then.” She nods and returns to her seat.

“Are you foreal?” Refilwe asks with his eyebrows raised.
“Have you caught any feelings?” he quickly shakes his head. “Then why are you questioning my decision?”
“I am not. But I thought we were still enjoying each other. There is no need for this nice thing to end.” I sigh and sit back.
“You have really caught feelings.” I shake my head in disbelief.

“No, I haven’t.” his voice is higher than usual. I raise my eyebrow. “You are a good lay, you are a stallion in bed and I was enjoying fucking you with no expectations. I am just disappointed that this has to come to an end so early.” A good lay? That doesn’t sit well with me.

“Well, I wouldn’t say we should continue being friends because we were never friends before the sexual relationship, but what I can say is that, it was nice knowing you. You are a nice, charming guy, romantic in your own way and in the near future, you deserve someone who is going to love you unconditionally and treat you right.” I put my things on my bag and stand up.

“Wait,” he also stands. “I am sorry for behaving like an ass and calling you a good lay. You are a wonderful woman, you are extraordinary. I have known you for less than three weeks but I can attest that you are an amazing, kind hearted person. I wish you all the best in your life and I would like us to have these type of lunches every now and again, if you’re game.” He smiles and I chuckle.

“That will depend.” He extends his arms and I hug him. “See you around, Refilwe.” I walk out of the restaurant feeling the weight in my shoulders being lifted. Refilwe was another loose end I needed to tie before starting my dream life.

By Friday night, I am having a mini solo house warming at my new apartment. I have moved everything of mine here and by luck, sold most of the stuff I don’t need. The ones left, I have put them in the living room corner but I know people are going to buy them soon. I am not a huge fan of alcohol, well I do drink on certain occasions but I don’t have bottles of wine or ciders just chilling in my fridge of pantry. But today I am celebrating my new job, new apartment and new life. So I am having a bottle of KRONE champagne and some chicken wings and strips which I bought at our Deli.

I settle down on the couch and decide to binge on Dark Desire on Netflix. Heee, Chizoba. Is this really you? Living the soft life with nice life problem? I was not aiming for this high life but I am glad I got it. The one person who deserve most praise is Zoe. That woman is a superstar and I Stan her for her big heart. Since it’s late, I write a message to my mother and my siblings, informing them about the changes in my life. Mom is the first one to call. I thought she was sleeping. She ululates loudly and end the call with a long heartfelt prayer. Next are my siblings and they congratulate me, Nneka reminds me of her visit and Akose wishes to push up her visit. She even wants me to book her a flight when it’s time for her to visit me. My sister is crazy.

When I am done, I actually realize I have missed two episodes because of the phone calls. I go back to the first episode and focus on the series. It is quite intriguing and interesting. So, it’s about a woman in her forties who feels neglected by her husband and she suspects that he is cheating on her with his secretary. So while visiting her friend, the friend tells her to let loose and just have casual sex with a stranger. She does just that, thinking that this will be the first and last time she hooks up with this guy who is really young but that changes when she finds out that the guy is actually her student since she is a professor at a university. It is so nice that I end up watching the whole season in one night.

I arrive at Zoe’s house early because she asked me to, so that I can help her prepare one of the Nigerian dishes. One of the maids direct me to the patio where I find Zoe sitting next to this young man looking all cozy with books in their hands. They are laughing about something. I clear my throat to announce my presence and they both turn to look at me. Zoe’s face lights up.

“Chichi, you have arrived.” She jumps up and comes to hug me. “Looking fabulous as always.”
“Oww please, look who is talking.” We both laugh. She turns to look at the young man.
“This is my son, Masande and baby, this is Chizoba, my new friend and reading partner.” Masande stands up and extend a hand. I shake it.

“Finally I can put a face to the name. My mom has been blabbing about you from the moment she met you. I feel like I know you on a personal level.” We all laugh.
“She has also told me about you, the one child she relates to the most. I heard your father is jealous.” He cracks up.

“Yes he is. I spend most of the afternoon with my mother yesterday and that’s how things are whenever we are together. So as much as he loves me, he is always praying for a closer departure.” I snort.
“Now how about we go start on that dish and you can tell me how your first night was on your new place?” Zoe states, hooking her arm on mine.
“Gladly. It was nice to meet you, Masande.” He nods and sits back down carrying on with the book on his hands.

We walk to the kitchen and I tell her how my night went. We prepare my favourite dish while I tell her about Dark Desire which has turned into one of my favourite TV show. The moment we are done cooking and dishing up food on the casserole dishes, Makhosonke walks in with Monica. I am quick to grab people’s emotions and behaviour, so I know there is trouble in paradise with the way the room suddenly freezes (figuratively) as they walk in.

“Hello ma.” Monica starts off with a huge smile. She hugs Zoe and gives me a stinky eye. Nwanyi Nzuzu. Does this girl know me? Just because I allowed her to walk all over me at work, doesn’t mean that will be the case again. She better watch her behaviour because I don’t mind mopping the floor with her fake hair.

“Hi, Chizoba.” Masonke smiles at me. Hee. The little devil actually smiles at me. He wants that plank of a girlfriend to bury me alive?
“Hello, Masonke.” He laughs. I don’t think I will ever be able to pronounce his word correctly, not that I dedicate time just to teach myself. It’s not that important.

“Hey, son of mine. The one that forgot my birthday.” Zoe states dramatically, folding her arms to her chest and I can’t help but laugh. This woman is a whole mood, a vibe. I wonder if she goes clubbing or used to when she was around my age.
“Mom come on.” Masonke giggles, moving closer to her and he actually tickles her, which makes Zoe squeal and laugh like a toddler. Monica walks to me.

“What the fuck are you doing with my mother-in-law? Are you trying to badmouth me or something? If that’s the case, you won’t succeed. No one will believe a foreigner like you over me, their daughter-in-law.” She whispers harshly and I actually laugh.

This woman is stupid. Really stupid. In fact she doesn’t even deserve to be called a woman. She is a child. At the age of 21 she should be worrying about what she is going to wear for her graduation, where to apply for a job or where to go for a business funding. Instead she is here, being bothered by the fact that her ‘mother-in-law’ is friends with the cleaner from Checkers. Shame. She has nice life problems.

“Gee nti, nwa a, Zoe bu enyim anyi anaghi eji Ndi n’enwero isi ka gi Agba asiri. (Listen here, girly, Zoe is my friend and friends like us don’t gossip about non-factors like you.) You lack the elements and you are not that intelligent for us to discuss about. Be relevant, be wise, be successful, and maybe then will we talk about you. But I doubt because we have hundreds of books we would rather read than talk about a little girl like you, cutie pie.” I whisper back with a smile on my face.