CHAPTER 51

“There is no guarantee that your marriage will survive this or not. But what is important now is your mental health. I won’t refer to Chia as my brother because that would defeat the whole purpose of this session. It’s up to you if you want to stay in this marriage or not. For now I suggest you go on a retreat. You have to get out of this country. Breathe another air, meet new people. While on that retreat, get a professional therapist, not a self-made one, who will help you navigate your new life. You have so much to live for, Celine. Your kids still need you. Even if you think you are sinking, let them anchor you to the surface. You don’t owe them a happy home. Whomever that might tell you that you should stay for the kids and risk your mental health, tell them I said they must go and fuck themselves.” She chuckles. I smile because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. There is some hope shining in her eyes. “Now, what do you say?” 

She huffs and sits back. “I am going to go on that retreat. Honestly, I don’t like the anger that is coursing through my veins.” I nod. 

“Moving onto your vigilante behaviour,” she snorts. “I understand that you felt overwhelmed and all, but next time, when a situation like that occurs, try breathing from 0 to 10 to calm yourself down. If the counting doesn’t help, walk away. I am saying this because, yeah Chia deserved the punishment but what if Raymond or Raven were there? What if they jumped out of nowhere, wanting to come into dad’s aid and end up getting hurt? What would you had done if your kids got hurt instead of the perpetrator?” 

She looks down. “They were not in the house.” She mumbles. 

“But what if they were? Would you have forgiven yourself for your actions?” she shakes her head. “The retreat is a great idea. Take a break from this country. You deserve it. When you come back, you would know what to do with your Chia situation.” She nods. 

“Thank you, Chichi. And here I thought you had deserted me and sided with your brother.” That breaks my heart. 

“When Chia introduced you to me, he said, ‘sister, this is your new sister, Celine. Treat he like you treat all your other sisters but don’t bully her.’ so I took his words to heart. I see a sister in you and even if you were to divorce my asshole of a brother, you will always be my sister.” 

She sniffs and quickly wipe away her tears. “How much is your consultation fee?” 

“Finally.” We both crack up and it’s good to see her laugh genuinely. 

I arrive at the Enugu State Teaching Hospital in time for the visiting hours. I don’t even know if my brother is awake or not. I enquire about his room at the receptionist and when I have the information I need, I walk to his ward which he is sharing with 2 other people. I find him lying on the bed and staring at the ceiling. I hope he is doing some self-introspection. 

“You are not so bad.” I start off, entering the room. He turns his head to look at me and smiles. 

“I heard you were in town. Why are you only coming in now?” I roll my eyes. 

“I brought you cake.” I place it on the desk near his bed. I sit on the chair near him. “How are you doing? What did the doctors say?” 

“I have my wife to thank for everything. If she didn’t rush me here in time, real damage would’ve occurred, but also, hadn’t she burned me, none of this would’ve happened.” There is a bit of remorse in his voice but I also detect some anger. 

“But why, brother? Don’t you have enough offsprings? What was your aim this time around? Just to hurt your wife?” he sighs, before he goes back to starring at the ceiling.