CHAPTER 25

“Hey. How are you settling in?” a voice startles me and I raise my head to see a young woman in a lab coat standing at the door. I smile at her. “Is the second day worse than the first?” I chuckle.

“I am surviving.” She smiles shyly before stepping inside and taking a seat on one of the chairs before me.

“I am Rena Moloi. I don’t believe we have been formally introduced. The noisy Lindi didn’t come show you my lab. I am the one of the school’s scientist. The school is so uptight, they separate physics. Leaners are taught by actual scientists. Can you believe it?” actually I can. This school is so fancy. I wouldn’t even be surprised that they have their own record label for the music students.

“I am pleased to meet you, Rena. I am Chizoba. I have been meaning to come check out the lab but I was too distracted by work.”

“I totally understand. Have you eaten though?” I shake my head.

“I still have 45 minutes. I think I will just warm my lunch box real quick.”

“I was just about to head out to McDonalds. Why don’t you join me? It will be my treat.” I smile. I am African. I never reject free food. Until I have a really good reason for that.

“That sounds great. Let’s head out then.” I stand up, closing my file and taking my phone. She also stands up and we head out.

“Let me grab my keys.” She heads to the lab and comes back without a lab coat on. “Made any friends yet?” I chuckle, shaking my head.

“I haven’t found time for that. Yesterday I was locked up in my office and doing some notes for the week.” she nods.

“Which teachers were you introduced to?”

“A few, but I remember Mr. and Mrs. Jalajala and Mrs. Matthenson.” She nods again. We get to the parking lot and she opens a black Audi A4. This girl has really made it in life. “Your car is beautiful.”

She smiles. “Thank you.” we both climb in. she drives off. “It’s so good to have someone my age in the science department.”

“Yeah. How old are you, by the way?”

“24 years.”

“I’m 25.”

It doesn’t take long for us to get to the restaurant. We climb off the car and head inside. We quickly place our order and sit down.

“How did you end up a scientist at the age of 24?” I ask and she chuckles.

“I am a product of Thubelihle Secondary. I went to varsity and finished my degree. When a job offer came, I took it. This is my third year working here. And this is my second car.” She points at her car outside.

“Your salary must be really high.”

“I earn the average scientist salary. Anyways, which school did you teach before coming here?”

“I have volunteered at a school where my dad is a principal but I never got the real teaching experience I wanted, even as a volunteer. So I came to South Africa and at first I didn’t have the luck of landing any teaching job. I took whatever job I got. The last job I had was a cleaner at Checkers and then God made things happen. That’s how I am here.”