CHAPTER 44

She comes back with a cup of coffee and some muffins. She places the tray in the coffee table and sits on the couch next to me. “Don’t worry. I am hydrating myself.” she shows me the 2l water bottle.

“Thanks.” I take one of the muffins and eat it. “Mmm, this is nice. Where did you buy them?”
“I baked them.” my eyes pop out. “I know, right? Mom is a pastry chef, so I learnt baking via her.”
I nod. “Where is she?”

“South Carolina. She has a huge bakery there and her own TV show.”
“OMG! That’s super cool. That means she is rich and has made it in life.”
She chuckles and shrugs. “I guess.”
“What about your father?”

“He lives in Polokwane and is married to some deputy minister lady.”
“Why don’t you stay with your mother though? Between South Africa and South Carolina, I am sure SC is more developed.”
“There is no love lost between my mother and I. It’s better if there are oceans separating us.” sounds like a story there but I will not rush her.
“So why aren’t you at school? You seem okay.”

She chortles before sitting back. “I saw my ex the day before yesterday.” I frown. “Let me unconfuse you. Two years ago, I met a guy. Timothy Donavan.”
I sit back. “You have dated a white man before? Am I the only one in our circle who hasn’t shagged a pink dick?”
She laughs. “And you never will.”
I tilt my head to the side. “Why?”

“Because you are going to be with Makhosonke forever. You know, I watched his IG live on Saturday. That man loves you. He wasn’t doing that just for show. The way he was looking at you. The way he smiled at things you said. He had that look. That ‘I see you’ look and trust me, that look is a forever thing.” That’s a mouthful. “Anyways, as I was saying, I met Timothy two years ago at a science fair. He was or still is a cosmetic scientist. We really hit it off. He was very charming and so loving. After a month of courting me, I finally agreed to be his girlfriend. We dated for like 9 months before he asked me to marry him. He was perfect, Chichi. There were no red flags. I guess that was the biggest red flag of all; that he seemed to be too good to be true. I was drunk in love and every time I thought of his love, I would find myself floating in the clouds. On the night before our wedding, we decided to get loose. We went to different clubs and spent the night in hotels. At the morning, I was dying of a hangover but the thought of marrying the love of my life energized me. When I got to the alter, he waited until the pastor said ‘we are all gathered here today to witness…’ before he stopped him.”

Her hands shake as she takes a tissue. I hold her hand. “It’s okay if you don’t want to talk about it.”

She gives me a tearful smile. “I wanna talk about it. My therapist said talking about it more will make it hurt less. He said, ‘you’re an amazing woman, the best I have ever met really. You aspire me to do good. Your heart is warm and pure.’ I actually thought he was ignoring the pastor and rushing with his vows. And then he broke my heart. He proceeded to say, ‘You deserve someone who puts you first. Someone who doesn’t hurt you or take advantage of your love. I made a mistake last night. I regret hurting you but I don’t regret it. I slept with my ex and as much as I felt guilty about what I was doing to you, besides that, my heart was complete. We talked and I realized that I still love her and you don’t deserve someone who is with you but still loves their ex and is willing to break an engagement for them.’ I swear to God, my heart stopped.” She gasps and heaves out sobs. I shift closer to her and hug her. She wails and I rub her back.

After what feels like eternity, she stops crying and just sniffs. She wipes her tears and looks at me. “I am mess, aren’t I?”

I shake my head. “On the contrary, you’re not a mess. You’re a strong woman. You managed to get through this and smile like you have never been hurt or humiliated before. I admire your strength and will-ness. I don’t I would’ve been strong like you.”

She gives me a small smile that doesn’t even last for longer that five seconds. “Anyways, I saw him. He was with a woman, whom I presume is the ex. He was carrying a toddler in his arms while looking at the woman like she was the only girl in the world. They were both wearing rings, so I guess they got married. That’s what triggered my depression.”

“I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but I really admire your strength. Reno, you’re so young but you have faced such difficulty in your life. I wish I can say from now on, your life will be smooth and you will find someone who will love and cherish you but I know we don’t always get what we want. I just hope that the traffic cop guy doesn’t disappoint you.”

She looks down. “I kind of dumped him yesterday. He kept on pushing for a date and I was already a mess, so I insulted him and dumped him. Then I blocked him.”
“Yoh, Reno.”
“Yah.”
“But did you see some real potential with him?”

She shakes her head. “I didn’t wanna stay single and look pathetic, you know. But after seeing Tim, I realized that I haven’t healed from what he did to me. From the humiliation, the pain, the anguish. I was rushing myself.”
“You should take your time.”
She smiles. “Yeah. Which is why I have decided to take a job offer from Sweden.”
“Say what now?”

“I like South Africa and all, but it’s time I go out and find myself in another country, just like you.” I chuckle.
“That’s not the same. I left because I didn’t get a satisfying job. You have a great job, a car and a really fancy house. Why?”
“I need a fresh start. I don’t know. Maybe I might come back after three years but I need to go, for my own sanity. I promise to come back for your birthdays and your wedding.”

I chortle and sniff. I quickly wipe away my tears. “Don’t be a stranger, then.”
“Scouts honor.”
“It’s good to see you smiling.” A voice disturbs us and I turn to find a very gorgeous lady standing not far from us. “You must be Chizoba. I am Rea. Reno has told me so much about you.”
I quickly stand up and we shake hands. “You are really beautiful.”

She smiles. “Thank you. I am ordering take outs for dinner. What are you guys going to be eating?”
“Ohh no. I just came to see Reno. I will be leaving in a few.”
“Got a husband or kids waiting for you at home?” she asks and I shake my head. “Then you’re joining us. I guess I will go for a combo.” She catwalks out of the lounge and I turn to Reno. She laughs.

“She is a bit of a bully but you get used to her.” she taps on the spot beside here where I was seated. “Now tell me. I heard something juicy happened at the staff meeting today.”
“You have no idea.” 

NARRATED

“Where is my mother?” Masande asked one of the servants.
“In the garden.” She replied with a smile. Masande nodded before leading Luncumo to the garden.
“Pictures do no justice. This house is a masterpiece.” Luncumo complimented and Masande smiled.

“I know. My father worked with Mr. Hlongwa, the architect, to make sure it comes out this perfect.” He spotted his mother sitting on her favourite bench with a book in her hand. “You could actually sneak up on her and she wouldn’t hear you when there is a book in her hand.” Luncumo giggled and that seemed to snap Zoe out of her bookland. She raised her head and smiled when she saw Masande.

“My son.” She placed the book on the concrete table before her before standing up and meeting the couple halfway. She hugged Masande first and proceeded to hug Luncumo. “Welcome to my home, finally.” Luncumo laughed.

“It feels good to be able to finally see this magnificent house in person.”
“Well you ain’t seen nothing yet, hun. I will show you the rest of it later. You guys must be tired from your trip. I will tell Corey to dish up so that we can eat.”
“Mom what are you doing outside? It’s almost 7 pm.” Masande questioned and Zoe rolled her eyes.

“You of all people, know that time flies when you have your head buried in between pages. Now what brings you here?” she asked as they stepped into the dining hall.
“I wanted to officially introduce Luncumo to everyone and we have a commitment this weekend here. I figured I kill two birds with one stone.”

“If it isn’t my future daughter in law.” Mazwakhe’s voice beamed before he even stepped inside the dining hall. “You, my dear, are a true beauty and I can see that our little cub is treating you so good. How are you doing?” he asked as he gave Luncumo a hug.

“I am fine, baba.” She responded shyly and Zoe chuckled.
“He is charming but full of lies, don’t fall for him.” she warned and the men laughed.