CHAPTER 50

Arriving at the Lagos airport, we find a man sent by Udoa already waiting for us. He asks if we would like to see our brother first or go home. I, for one, would like to go home first because I am feeling sticky and need a proper shower and some rest. Nneka also wants to go home, so the chauffer drives us home which is a one hour drive from the airport. Also its midnight, now unless he is in some kind of a private hospital, no hospital would let you see a patient at 1 am. Plus his condition is not that serious. I can't wait to see my old man and Akose. Yeah, my main priority should be my brother but he brought this upon himself, so he must deal with the consequences. 

I also have to visit Celine at the morning. I was also going to see her and eventually contact her but Makho said something that opened my eyes. He said underneath that whole rage and anger is a woman broken, betrayed and lost. She needs people in her corner and he is pretty sure that no one cares about her feelings right now. They are all tending to the “injured” cheater instead of checking on her. That really broke my heart because I like Celine and I don’t want her to feel like I have neglected her or something. 

When we get home, it's around 2 am but someone is awake because there are lights on in the lounge. The chauffeur takes our luggage to the front door and bids us farewell after the door has been opened. Akose comes out wrapped in a fluffy gown with sleepers and a head wrap. 

“My favourite sisters in the whole wide world.” She manages to jump us and squeeze us both in a hug. One thing about my favourite little sister, she is a ball of energy. She would get along so much with Mathenji but I wouldn't hook them up because my friend would corrupt my sister. 

“Akose, why are you awake at this time of the night?” Nneka asks as we make our way inside the house. Akose locks up behind us. 

“I wanted to open for you guys. If not me, you would've woken up dad who have work tomorrow or the young ones who are going to school.” She responds. “Anyways, I plugged in some bath water for both of you. I figured after a 6 hour flight, you will want to bath before sleeping.” 

“You are a mind reader.” I tease and she laughs. 

“Are you guys’ hungry? Ndidiamaka cooked.” She asks and I frown.”

“Since when does he know how to cook?” Nneka asks the question that’s on my mind. 

“Since last year.” Akose replies with a shrug. 

“We are fine though. Makho and Chung made sure to buy us enough fast food to last us for three days. Here.” I hand two of the paper bags. “You can pack those for people's lunch boxes at the morning. I would love to see them before they leave but I know I will still be resting.” She nods with a grin. 

We walk towards the room I share with Nneka. It's really big. It contains two double beds, a built in wardrobe, a bookshelf which is overcrowded, a dresser and bedside tables near each bed. I place my luggage near the wardrobe and sit on my bed. I sigh, feeling content and at ease. You know that feeling when you get home and everything just feels right? You just feel peace reign within you? Yeah, that’s what I am feeling inside. 

“While you’re still day dreaming, I will go ahead and bath.” Nneka startles me. I chuckle. I didn’t even realize she had changed. That’s one thing about Nneka. She knows how to do things quietly and very fast. 

“Go ahead. I need to call Makho anyways.” She frowns. 

“It’s 2 am, Chichi. Let the poor man rest.” I snort. 

“If only you knew, sister. Let me prove it to you.” I take my phone out and dial Makho’s number, putting it on speaker. He answers after one ring.