CHAPTER 38

“A single, beautiful, fresh rose for a gorgeous lady.” I state with a smile, handing a rose to one of the passing ladies. She blushes and accepts the flower.

“Thank you. I have never received flowers ever before. This one is beautiful.” She responds before walking away, still smiling.
“We still have about 5 bunches to go. So that means a couple of dozens more of that type of smile.” Quinn states and I huff.

“If these smiles weren’t getting to me, I honestly would’ve thrown all these flowers in the trash can.” I retrieve another bunch.
“Let’s head inside the mall and give singles to the employees, but those who work at places that don’t sell flowers.” Reno suggests and we all agree.

“Guys, we are trending. Someone just posted us on twitter and people are retweeting, especially the ladies. They are saying what we are doing is really beautiful. Others have even posted the roses we gave them.” Mathenji says, scrolling down her phone. “We are celebs now.”

“I am sure it takes more than a few retweets for a person to become a celeb.” I respond to her and she rolls her eyes.
“Bitch shoo with the negative energy.” Nwanyi a ezie. (This woman, though.) I can’t stop laughing.

We enter the mall and go to a few stores. The flowers get depleted after an hour and we finally catch our breaths. We disperse and I go back to my apartment, to prepare myself for a day out with my sister.

“O na-ada ka onye mara mma. M ga-enye ya onwa isi. O buru na unu ka nokwa mgbe ahu, agaghi m enwe nsogbu izute ya. (He sounds like a nice guy. I will give him six months. If you guys are still together then, I will have no problem meeting him.)” Nneka states in her deputy parent voice and I nod. I actually thought she would be over the moon and want to see Makho but I don’t blame her. You don’t introduce every partner you get to your family.

“M ga-agwa ya na. (I will notify him that.)” We go to different clothing stores and she picks so many clothes, even shoes and jewelry. “That’s a lot of baggage for you.”

She rolls her eyes. “Maka onye nkuzi, I nwere ike idi nwayo. Uwe ndi a bu nke gi. N’agbanyeghi na I na-aru oru, a ka m bu nwanne gi Nwanyi toro gi, m na-agakwa oru m, nke na-emebi gi mgbe m nwetara ohere. (For a teacher, you can be so slow. These clothes are yours. Even though you’re working, I am still your older sister and I am doing my duty, which is spoiling you when I get the chance.)” I smile at her.

“Daalu nwanne. (Thank you, sister.)” You don’t go all modest when your sibling spoils you.

When I think we are done with the shopping, she pulls me to Mac. She asks the shop assistants to do our make-up and then buys the whole kit when they are done. I don’t even think I recognize my own reflection right now. I look so stunning and I feel great. You know that feeling, after putting on make-up, the confidence boost you get is out of this world.

“Well, little sis, I have to love and leave you. I have a date.” She winks at me and I frown.
“You haven’t been in SA for more than a month and already you have a date?” I ask, bewildered.
“You would be surprised by how attractive literate foreigners are.”

“And what about Jackie Chan?” she cracks up, attracting attention to us. Her laughter is contagious and intoxicating, so I also end up laughing.

“What happens in Africa, stays in Africa, love. I won’t tell if you don’t.” she winks and I just chuckle, shaking my head. Since when is Nneka this open to fucking around? “Oww relax. It’s not like I am going to be impregnated by this Tshonana man.” she states, rolling her eyes.

“Tsonga?”
“Yes, that. It’s just harmless fun. You don’t actually turn down dates just because you’re in a relationship. How can you say no to a free meal?”
“Your bed, sis. But can we not fall victim when Bruce Lee hears about this?”