CHAPTER 71

FINALE PART ONE

MATHENJI GASA
I know my actions are valid. I mean the man did leave me for a whole month without a substitute, so I was right for doing what I did. It’s just that he said he will get me for what I did to him, that was before he dozed off. So I ran. I am naughty and problematic but I am scared of punishment. I knew the moment I saw three red sports cars driving in through the guesthouse's window that the man has come for me. Even though I registered under a false name, it’s only a matter of time before he finds me and there is no escaping. I see him stepping out of the car dressed in all white. Five other man follow suit. He says something to them and then he enters the guesthouse with one guy.

I take my handbag and rush to one of the storerooms that one of the staff members showed me. It won’t hold for long but it will buy me some time. My phone rings and I curse under my breath. I know Nate didn’t track me using it. Phela I have dated a hacker before and he gave a chip that I should insert in my phone to prevent anyone from hacking it or tracking it. I frown when I see that Makhosonke is the one calling. What does he want? Wait, did something happen to Chichi?

“Makhosonke, what is it?”
“I thought the white guy was back. So why are you grumpy?”

I grunt. Makhosonke is a jerk and he is always ready to say nasty comments. That means nothing is wrong. “I am hanging up.”

He chuckles. “Wait. Wait. Geez. Your man need to pull up his socks. Anyways, Chizoba’s father gave me his blessing. Now I need that plan of ours to be put in motion.”
I roll my eyes. “You must’ve bribed him because there is no way he would’ve gave you his blessing like that. It’s so soon. You had what? A day to convince him?”

“One outing really but that’s none of your business. Chizoba said you’re out of town and I need you back as soon as possible so that we can do this thing tomorrow night.”

I groan. “Fine. I will text you when everything is set. You’re house, right?”
“Yes.”

“Don’t forget the money.” I hang up just as the door opens and I am faced with Nathan. He looks angry. He doesn’t even have that usual spark he possesses whenever he sees me. “Hi, baby.” My voice is shaking. It’s actually dawning in me that I am dating a dangerous man.
He sighs in relief. Or is it exhaustion? “Do you ever think of the consequences of your actions, Mathenji?” Holy Hell. I am in deep shit. Not once has he ever pronounced my name like this, without any hesitation. “You know what? Let’s just get out of here.”

He grabs my hand and pulls me out. We head to the parking lot. There are more cars now. About 5 red SUVs and 2 yellow sports cars. Some are parked on the street. What the fuck is going on here? All for retrieving one girlfriend? A bulky coloured guy comes towards Nate’s car and Nate forces me to stop. The man is wearing yellow sneakers, black jeans and a yellow T-shirt. Too much yellow for my liking. But it seems like shit is about to hit the fan. So I will keep my mouth shut.

“She hasn’t said anything?” he asks looking between Nate and I. Said anything about what?
“No, boss. But I believe it was pure coincidence. She doesn’t know anything about anything.” Nate responds, his eyes traveling between his boss and mine.
“Coincidence? I think not. She may have lured you out here so that you will show up vulnerable and they will take you out. Weakening my position.”

Weaken? Lure? Take out? “Wait. Hold up. What the fuck are you talking about?” I thought I was going to keep quiet and let them talk about whatever shit that’s going on but to accuse me of setting up Nathan? That’s low.
“Babe, not now.” Nathan pulls me towards him and I shake my head.
“No. Tell me what’s going on right now. I only left Joburg because of what I did. Even though my actions were justified, you threatened me and I wanted you to chase me because I missed you.”
“Couldn’t you have went to Durban or Port Elizabeth?” Polar asks walking towards us.
“That’s predictable.” I roll my eyes.

“Well your cat and mouse game has put everyone at risk. We are in enemy territory, baby girl. Our worst enemy ever. His uncle.” The boss points at Nathan with his  head. “Should something happen to anyone of us, be proud of yourself.” He walks to the yellow car, leaving me as confused as ever. I turn to Nathan and he shakes his head.

“I will explain later.” He opens the passenger door for me and just as I am sliding inside, Polar shouts.
“THEY ARE CLOSING IN ON US! WE NEED TO MOVE!”

Nate makes sure my door is closed before moving to his. It doesn’t take long for him to get the engine started and drive out, following the other cars. After a few minutes, I hear gunshots not far from us and I can’t stop the scream that erupts from my throat. Nate curses under his breath as he drives faster.

“Don’t worry. The car is bulletproof and we will be at the field where we parked the chopper in a few minutes.” That’s all he says. His voice sounds super chilled.
“What is happening, Nathan? Why are we being shot at?” I am freaking out right now. I won’t lie.
“Babe, don’t worry about it. Nothing is going to happen to us. I will tell you all about it when we get home.”
“No. Tell me now.”

He sighs. “My uncle is a crime boss and we are rivals. We never enter each other’s territory under any circumstances. Us being here means that we are disrespecting him. We are not scared of him or anything but we are at a disadvantage here.”
Mathenji you’re stupid though. I bury my hands in my face, momentarily forgetting about the bullets flying towards our direction. “I am sorry, baby. I literally thought of a city in the middle of nowhere. A challenge. I didn’t think it might endanger you. I am telling the truth.”

“Hey. Look at me.” I remove my hands from my face and turn to look at his handsome face. “I believe you. I do. The boss is just not in the mood and I get it because everything seems suspicious. But I love you and I believe you.”

We get to an open field where there are 5 choppers lined up. I didn’t even realise the shooting stopped. We exit the car and climb into one of the choppers. As it takes off, I turn to look at Nate.

“What’s going to happen to the cars?”
“Don’t worry yourself about that.” Nice life problems, huh.

CHIZOBA

“How does your cheek feel?” I ask as I strike it and he winces. I roll my eyes. He is being a softie right now. We are currently chilling at my building’s rooftop since I can’t leave and he can’t come in his apartment.
“Baby, your father is really rough. I felt like Mike Tyson had punched me.” I don’t mean to, really, but I break into laughter. I am not laughing at his misery but he is hilarious.

“You’re going to be fine. Do I need to massage your cheek?”
“Baby, you’re not taking me seriously. Anyways, I have a question for you. Does my hairstyle turn you off?”
I frown. “Where is that coming from? Babe, I have never heard you question your look. Why now?” he shakes his head with a small smile.
“It’s nothing. I was just asking.”

I cup his face and run my hand through his dreads. “Tell me.”
He sighs. “I love you, baby and I am glad that your father gave me his blessing. Soon I will be sending my family to represent me and make our union legit.” Why is he changing the subject? I hope it’s not my dad that has made him question his appearance.

“What are you saying?”
“You will understand me soon. Now come here and give me a kiss before I leave.”
“Why so early? It’s not like you have someone waiting for you at home and stuff.”
He chuckles. “You need to rest. I don’t want you dozing off at brunch.” We are supposed to have brunch with his family since my parents gave him their blessing and stuff. Mathenji promised to be there and also Quinn. The whole thing will be at Lubelihle Resort.

“One round and I will let you go.” He laughs.
“You’re insatiable. I wish your father can hear how demanding you are when it comes to sex.”
“That one said our generation is allergic to protection.” We look at each other and we both laugh. Dad is a savage, but hitting Makho was not necessary.