CHAPTER 17

NARRATED
The following morning, Masande woke up and decided to go for a job. He wasn’t hung-over like his siblings and his body was used to running every morning. He came back from his run and just as he was stretching on the driveway, his phone rang. He smiled, picking it up and he was laughing throughout the while conversation. His fiancé was a woman with a very good sense of humour and she was such a loving and carrying woman. Ending the call, he turned to find his father standing at front door and staring at him with a wide smile on his face.

“So, you’re expecting?” Mazwakhe asked, not carrying to hide his excitement. Masande rolled his eyes with a smile on his face.
“Eavesdropping is not cool, old man.” Mazwakhe laughed and didn’t say anything because he was waiting for his son to say something. “You caught me, your Honor.” He walked closer to his father. “Luncumo is 2 months pregnant and we are engaged.”

“That’s my son.” Mazwakhe beamed, hugging his son tightly. He was overjoyed about this as he was always overjoyed about any achievement from his children. He once screamed like a four-year old when Mawande won an award for Best Actress of the Year. You can safely say that he was a good father. “Fuck, this is amazing.” He broke the hug and quickly wiped his tears.

“Come on dad. Don’t be like that.”
“Don’t mind me. Anyways what are you plans? When are you telling your mother?”
“We were thinking of moving here with her so that we can be closer to you guys.”
“Give me a minute.” Mazwakhe turned to face the other way and Masande heard sniffs.

“Dad, if you’re like this, then who is going to comfort your wife?” Mazwakhe turned and finally pulled himself together.

“Let me be, son. I am teaching you that it’s okay to be emotional in front of your kids. Real men do cry and show emotions when they feel overwhelmed. Lesson number one of daddy lessons.” Masande laughed as he followed his father who went inside the house.

CHIZOBA GWENDALINE

Yesterday was a very nice occasion. I enjoyed my time with the Gumbi and Ncube family. Surprisingly, even Masonke was nice to me. Monica was an exception but it doesn’t come as a surprise. That girl is a special case. At some point, I wanted to tell everyone how I exactly met her and Masonke but Masonke wasn’t being a jerk to me, so I let it slide. When I told Mathenji about the dinner, she was envious. She said I should invite her next time. She also wants to see Wandy-G in person.

Getting to my apartment, I frown when my eyes land on someone seated outside Room 401. I walk closer to the person and squat in front of him.

“Are you okay, sir?” the person raises their head and I nearly fall back when I see Masonke. He looks horrible, like he hasn’t slept since yesterday, or worse, hasn’t showered. He is still wearing the same clothes as last night. “Masonke, what are you doing here?”

“This is my apartment but I forgot the keys in my car. I am too tired to head down and come back up.” he smells like a brewery. I sigh. I am also too drained for this.
“Do you wanna come inside my apartment? I can make you coffee.” He chuckles.

“You live here?” I roll my eyes and standing up. I walk to my room and turn to find him following me. I open the door and walk inside.
“You can sit at the couch while I make you a cup. Don’t mind the books at the corner there. I haven’t found time to buy a shelf.”

I lead him to the lounge and he sits on the couch. I hand him the remote and go boil the water in the kettle. I quickly go to my room to change into an oversized t-shirt and sleepers. I head back to the kitchen and start making coffee for the both of us. I warm the muffins in the fridge and place them in a plate. I serve him and sit down not far from him.