CHAPTER 18

“OMG! You won’t believe this.” Mathenji states, wheeling her bucket to where I am standing. I only have 3 days left here and I am really going to miss her the most. I just hope different jobs won’t separate us.

“What is it, Thenji?”
“The IT couple apparently broke up.” I frown. Who the fuck is the IT couple?
“Who?”

“Makhosonke and Monica. They deleted each other’s pictures and videos on their social media accounts. No one knows the full story. I am dying to know it. I keep checking out Monica’s Instagram story, hoping she will slip up and tell us what exactly happened or maybe cry in a live video but nothing.” Our store has Wi-Fi, so that’s why she is online on Instagram right now.

Now back to the news at hand. Makhosonke and Monica broke up? Well why am I surprised? The guy was literally pouring his heart out to me in my couch on Sunday about his fucked up relationship. I guess the break up was inevitable. “Maybe you left out some details about a drama that occurred at the dinner. How could you have possibly missed this?” I roll my eyes.

“Monica was mean as always. Even in front of her in-laws. So there was nothing out of the ordinary for Me.” she huffs.
“You’re useless.” She walks away, leaving me laughing like crazy. She gets like that when she doesn’t get the scoop. She should’ve been a journalist because she loves drama and gossip.

Now back to the issue at hand. The break up. I am not the bad guy though. After that kiss, Makhosonke apologized for being out of line and we had dinner afterwards. He fell asleep on my couch and I went to bed after covering him with a blanket because I didn’t wanna wake him up. He looked peaceful. The next morning, I woke up and there was coffee and muffins with a bunch of flowers on my bedside table. There was also a note which stated…

‘Thank you for last night. You truly know the meaning of Ubuntu. You are a Godsend. Enjoy your day.’

The coffee was still hot, so that meant he had just left. His gesture made my heart melt, but in a way, he was paying for the therapy.

MONICA NONYE

She was heartbroken and couldn’t understand the real reason behind Makhosonke breaking up with her. She thought he was kidding until he actually asked the helper to pack her belongings and then he drove her to a flat in Centurion which he bought for her as a parting gift. She should’ve been pleased that he still showed generosity even after dumping her but she couldn’t because she was so confused. The conversation between them was still fresh in her mind.

‘He walked in around 6 pm and placed his bags on the coffee table. He greeted her but she didn’t answer because she was mad that he slept out for two full nights without bothering to even call her just to check in or actually come back home. He sighed and sat down, staring at his hands.

“There is something I need to talk to you about.” He cleared his throat. “Actually tell you. I have been doing a lot of thinking. This,” he gestured between them, “It’s not working. We should break up. We don’t want the same things in life. I want kids and a wife. I wanna get married before the year ends or even next year and I want someone who is emotionally, physically and financially ready for that. I don’t want to force you to change your beliefs or your life goals just to stay in a relationship with me. I love you but I am not satisfied in this relationship. It’s not about sex. Our sex life is great.”

She looked at him, utterly shocked to utter a single word. She took deep breaths to calm herself down. After almost 10 minutes of trying to process his words, she chuckled bitterly.

“Which bitch has gotten under your skin and made you realize that you suddenly want kids and marriage? Was it the foreigner? Huh? Or are you jealous because your younger brother is getting married and expecting his first born? Why the fuck are you behaving like this? We were fine on Saturday. What changed? Did you cheat on me these last two days?” he sighed.