CHAPTER 65

“You are killing it on Instagram. I showed those pictures of you with the flowers to Khaya and he made a jealous remark.” Khwezi whispers the last sentence and I chuckle. We are currently at the teachers' cafeteria eating our lunch.
“What exactly did you say to him?” I ask because I know Khwezilomso is savage and she always teases or provokes her husband.

“Don’t be like that. I am not evil, I swear. I just said some women get moneyed flowers while others get farting husbands.” Jesus. This woman is too much. How does Lindikhaya keep up with her? But I guess he knew what he was signing up for when he asked her to marry him. She is unfiltered and a straight talker but I like her.

“How does he put up with you though?” she smirks.
“he loved my nuttiness from the beginning. It’s one of the things that attracted him about me.” She smiles as she says that. I guess she is remembering  the early stages of their relationship.
“Now I am curious. Pray tell how you guys met and where.” She sits back and relaxes.

“We did our final year practical’s in one School. You know how handsome and friendly he is. So this one time he approached us. I was sitting with two other girls from my varsity. Well, he first went to the yellow bone because you know guys always follow the gold. They were flirting and everything and that shit annoyed me because I was kind of attracted to him. So I just blurted out that he had a really huge head. Isn’t it too heavy for him?” I crack up. My God, that sounds exactly like something Khwezi would say. She sounds like a slight older version of Mathenji. I guess I always befriend psychos.

“I’m sure his ego was bruised. How did he respond?” I am keen on knowing the full story. It’s better than listening to boring office gossip that can get you mixed up in shit that doesn’t concern you. Before you know it, they will be coming to you and asking, no, ordering you to tell them “who said what” behind their backs. Yeah, I know. Even teachers can act like teenagers sometimes.

“He was about to say something witty for sure, but as soon as he starred at my face, he went blank, had no comeback whatsoever. The yellow bone got jealous because she was now being ignored, something she was not used to. Lindikhaya had nothing to say. He just left without uttering a single word. I thought he would never speak to me again but the next day he came to me and said his head is just right for him and it is not heavy, but he couldn’t say the same about my legs. No wonder I was always dragging my feet, my legs were too much for me.” My God, these two are hilarious. I guess they are a match made in heaven and I am sure there is never a dull moment at their home.

“Did you also go blank?”
“Hell no. I always have a clap back at the tip of my tongue. From there on, we always teased each other. It got to a point that we accidentally kissed. Well it was no accident on my part. After that we just went with the flow. We even had a quickie at the school’s science lab. When the practical’s ended, he asked me to be his girlfriend and when we graduated, he asked me to marry him.”

“Aww, that’s so romantic. I am jealous.”
“Well I am jealous of the flowers, so we are even.” We both laugh.
“I want to do something special for Makho. I know buying a gift won’t seem so personal and I have also cooked for him before. I just want to do something that will make him see that I appreciate all the effort he puts in our relationship.” She smiles. Really. Makho has done a lot of things for me. If I had money, I would gift him with a brand new car because he is really amazing.

“I once creeped in while Khaya was teaching. He was so far gone that when our eyes met, he was shocked and then stumbled a bit. I didn’t know that I had the ability to make him lose his steps without even taking off my clothes. When we got home, he told me how surprised he was to see me and how that made him happy. So I think seeing Makhosonke in action will catch him off guard and make him happy, but I don’t know. People are not the same.”

“I was actually thinking of showing up in court unannounced and sit in on one of his cases. I also think he will like the surprise. I just pray he doesn’t want to strip me off and fuck me right there and then.”
She laughs. “Lets not go there.”

“Tomorrow I have a free period after the first lunch. Who do I talk to in order to stay our for more than 2 hours?”
“Me, and you have done just that. Tell me how it went when you come back.”
“Thanks Mrs. J.”

First thing I do is ask for Makho's court schedule from his PA who loves me by the way. She once said she was rooting for me because I know how to handle her boss. Don’t know how that means though.

I inform Khwezi about my departure and then drive to the Joburg High Court. I get there in time and wait for everyone to go inside before slipping inside at the last minute. Makho’s is on the left side with his client, so I sit on the right side at the back so that I can see him well. I know phones aren’t allowed in court rooms but I snap on in secret and then put my phone away. Makho is so good at this. I must be a bit unhinged because how else do you explain me being turned on by my man discrediting a witness? The woman is even crying. She gets off the stand and another gets on. I don’t even know what the case is about but I am enjoying it. I think my new favourite thing is watching Makho litigate.

“Miss Busiswa Ntuli, that is your real name and surname, right?” Makho asks and the woman nods. “I would love to hear your words. We don’t work with Body language.” Arrogance and confidence is oozing out of his body. I can literally feel it from where I am seated. This is Makho’s territory and he owns it without shame.

“Yes, I am Busiswa Ntuli.” The witness answers and I see a grin on Makho’s face. It looks like that’s the answer he was hoping for.
“Your Honour, if I may?” Makho says to the judge while carrying a few papers on his hands.
“you may approach me, counsel.”

He hands some papers to the court orderly who hands them to the judge. He also hands another set of papers to the other lawyer.

“What am I looking at, Advocate Gumbi?” the judge asks.
“In front of you are two copies of two different identity documents. One of Miss Tania Miller and another of Miss Busiswa Ntuli. As you can see, your Honor, this is one person. I don’t know what made Miss Busiswa alternate between two identities and that’s none of  our businesses unless she is a wanted criminal. One question before I proceed, which name am I supposed to use, Miss?”

The lady swallows hard and looks at the other lawyer. I wonder how Makho got this information but as a lawyer, you have to be resourceful. “Miss Ntuli.”

Makho nods and then steps back. “On the night my client allegedly attempted to murder his girlfriend, you said, and I quote “the back window was open, so I could see Phumlani strangling Amanda to death.” That’s what you said in your statement and your testimony earlier on. I would give you time to recall your words but I don’t want to waste the court’s time and resources.” He shakes his head before standing straight and looking at the judge. “Your worship, on those documents I handed to you there is proof that Miss Tania Miller boarded a plane to Mozambique at 6pm. Can someone help me understand how one person can be in two places at the same time unless of course the purpose was the obstruction of justice?”

“Do you have something to say for yourself?” the judge asks looking at the witness but she shakes her head. The judge looks at the other lawyer. “Advocate Mkhize, this is not acceptable. Your witness is not only wasting our time but she has committed a crime. Alternating between two identities and producing a testimony that is clearly a lie is unacceptable. Unless you have proof to dismiss Advocate Gumbo's allegations, Miss Ntuli or Miller will be detained. Court is adjourned. Next date is 27 September.” He hits the gavel. I don’t even care about what is said next. My eyes are on my man as he walks back to his desk. He raises his head and it takes a few moments for our eyes to meet. His eyes pop out, he was clearly not expecting this. I wink at him and look away.

“Gumbi has already won this case. Don’t know why the judge is dragging his feet here.” A guy next to me says.
A lady seated next to him chuckles. “the judge is giving Gumbi the chance to embarrass Mkhize. It’s fun to watch.”

I see everyone stand up and  also stand. As I pass the corridor, I spot Makho talking to his client. It’s like he senses my presence because he raises his head and looks at me. He conclude his chat with the client and rushes to me. He pulls me outside and soon as we reach the parking lot, he pins me against his car and kisses me. Wow. That’s not the reaction I was expecting but I’m not complaining.

“How?” he asks after breaking the kiss and I chuckle.
“I am full of surprises.”
“I can tell.” We both laugh.