CHAPTER 61

When we get to the hospital, I am surprised by the number of journalists that stop us from making it to the entrance. I thought this thing happened in movies or overseas. I have never seen it happen in real life. But then again, I didn’t have a friend who is a celebrity before. Dozens of mics are shoved in Wandy’s face. I think I am glad she decided to dress up and be fabulous. I am sure they were expecting her to come up looking all miserable but the girl disappointed them. And then the questions start pilling in.

“Wandy, is it true that you are dating the billionaire, Mogotsi?”
“Was it your intention to kill him because people say he cheated on you?” what the flipping hell? Where did that come from?
“Did you use love portion on him? Is that why he can’t break up with you?”
“Are you two timing him with your producer?”
“Are you ashamed of him? Is that why you hid your relationship?” these people don’t care whether she answers them or not, as long as they get their stupid questions through. How I wish to punch at least one of them.

“OKAY! THAT’S ENOUGH, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!” a man from nowhere. “OUR FAVOURITE SINGER AND ACTRESS IS GOING THROUGH A TOUGH TIME! A MAN WHO IS CLOSE TO HER HEART WAS ATTACKED LAST NIGHT AND LEFT FOR DEAD! IF IT WASN’T FOR OUR WANDY, HE WOULDVE DIED! NOW PLEASE GIVE HER, HER FAMILY AND THE MOAGI FAMILY SOME PRIVACY AS THEY DEAL WITH THIS DELICATE PRIVATE ISSUE WHICH IS NOT MATTER OF PUBLIC INTEREST! THANK YOU!” He hooks his arm on Wande and leads her inside the hospital. We follow through as the journalists pave way for us. Whoever that man is, holds some power.

“Thanks for that. How did you know I needed you?” Wande asks as we enter the waiting room. The man chuckles.

“I have a sixth sense for this parasites. I know they are going to write a lot about that mini statement of mine but I don’t care. There is not much to grasp there, unless they are too intellectual, which we all know they aren’t.” Wande giggles, then she looks at me.

“Oww, I am sure you’re confused by whoever this loud man is.” I chuckle and nod. “He is Celumusa Khathide and he is my publicist. He loves to stare up drama and confuses the enemy but he is very good at his job. I am the private person that I am and all praises go to him. He knows my every secret. And Celi, this is Chizoba, my future sister-in-law.” I shake hand with the lousy publicist.

“You look even more beautiful in person.” He flashes me a seductive smile.
“Back off Khathide.” Makho warns and Celi laughs before raising his hands in surrender.

“I know better than to go after your woman. I learnt my lesson the hard way.” He responds with a grin. Just as we are about to sit, Mrs. Moagi appears from the corner leading to Mogotsi’s room.
“Thank God you’re here. He is awake and has been asking for you. He thought that something happened to you, so he doesn’t believe us when we say you’re okay and you’re coming.” She talks fast, holding Wande who just takes off to Mogotsi’s ward.

MAWANDE GUMBI

The minute I enter this ward, my heart skips a bit. He is sitting up and laughing or trying to laugh at something his brother is saying. I can see that he is trying to stay strong but he is hurting.
“Why are you sitting up?” I can’t but ask as I make my way to his side and adjust his bed so that he is lying flat on his back. I fix his pillows and put back his oxygen mask on. “You are not fully healed. Don’t act all Van Damme here. I don’t want you being hard headed on this situation. You need to heal and let nature take its course, for me, please.” My voice breaks. I never thought I will see him awake so soon. I guess he recovered very fast. He smiles at me and removes his mask.

“I am fine, mosadi waka. I love it when you take care of me like this. I love you.” hearing his voice makes it seem all too real. I can’t stop the sobs that escape my mouth. I try to muffle them with my hand. He tilts his head to the side. “Guys, can you please give us a few minutes?” I don’t see them but I hear footsteps before they fade and the door gets shut. “I am fine, babe. You can see me.” he reaches out for one of my hands with his uninjured hand and I grab it, moving closer to him.