CHAPTER 12

We spend almost 2 hours in the library just talking about books, arguing, laughing and even crying about some of the saddest scenes or moments in books. I know sex is good but spending time discussing books with someone who understands you is just so fulfilling.

“How many of the books have you read here?” I ask because I am curious. She smiles.
“About 40%. I mostly donate some that I have read to shelters or initiatives where they give second hand books to people who really love to read but can’t afford to buy them.” I nod. This woman is really kind hearted. “How many books do you have?” I chuckle.

“About 46 here and 30 back home. I also have kindle, so I get most of them there.” she nods.
“I never really got the hang of e-books. They just tire me.”
“I feel you.”

“We should go eat now.” She shuts the book in her hands and stands up.
“Time flies when you’re having fun.” I state glancing the watch on the wall.
“You’re right. Don’t you want to take any of the books here to read at home?” I smile and look around.
“I am confused.” She cracks up.

“I know exactly what you mean. There is a bag there under the table. Just take whatever you want and join me on the kitchen afterwards. I am going to warm our lunch.” She heads out and I take the bag before walking to the shelves.

I pick out IN THE DUNGEON By MUTSHIDZI ASHLEY; CHAINED TO YOU Book Series; MARRIAGE FOR ONE; SWEET TEMPTATION and 3 other titles. I know I am a fast reader, so I can finish these books within a month. I head to the kitchen, greeting the two helpers I pass on the way. 

“Mrs. Gumbi is waiting for you in the patio.” One of the helpers announces.
“Thank you.” I put the bag in the lounge and head to the patio. “What a great afternoon. I think today is the best day of my life.” I state settling on the couch opposite Zoe. She looks up at me and smiles.

“I know exactly what you’re talking about. Today is one of those days I will store as the best memories of my life. I never thought I would find myself connecting with someone who is almost the same age as my daughter but I guess books have that much power. Anyways, for the main course, I thought steamed bread with beans will do. Have you ever tried it before?” I shake my head. “Then you’re in for the surprise of your life. Enjoy.” I smile and take my plate. I dip the steamed bread on the beans and take a bite.

“Mmm.” I moan at the deliciousness of the food as I chew. I bite 3 times more, swallow and then down my food with juice. “This is really nice. I would ask for a recipe but since I would be confused from the start, you have to invite me the next time you cook it.”

“Thank you for the compliment and I will be sure to invite you.” we continue eating over a small chat. Halfway through, a man walks through the slide door. He looks like he is in his thirties with a fit body, bald head and a beard. “Why didn’t you tell me you were home?” Zoe jumps up and throws herself into the man’s arms. He smiles down at her and they share a kiss. Damn, her husband is hot. Masonke is a split image of him.

“You know I love surprising you and the warm welcome you always receive me with.” She blushes and then turns to me.
“Babe, this is my friend, Chizoba, the one I was telling you about.” He smiles at me and extends his hand. I shake it. “Chichi, this is my husband, Mazwakhe.”
“You’re the only outsider here Zoe with your ‘Z’ word.” She laughs.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Chizoba. The way my wife has been talking about you, I felt like I knew you even before I met you.” I chuckle.
“I am flattered.”

“Join us. Let me go dish up for you.” Zoe states leading her husband to a vacant couch.
“With a glass of water, please.” He smiles at her as she walks back inside the house. He turns to me with a warm smile. “So what is it that you do, Chizoba? My wife has told me a lot about you but I don’t want to have an awkward silence.” I laugh.

“I am currently a cleaner but I am a qualified teacher. I always emphasize my qualification to people so that they don’t look at me and be like ‘she is a cleaner, so she is uneducated’.” He nods. “And what do you do?”
“I make money for my wife.” I snort and he laughs. “I am a judge of the Constitutional Court and also own a few businesses.” I nod.
“CC? That’s like the highest court in South Africa, right?” he nods with a smile. “I am pretty sure Masonke looks up to you?” he frowns a bit.

“Who is Masonke?”
“Your eldest son.” He laughs.
“Ohh, you mean Makhosonke?” I giggle and nod. “In a way, I can say he looks after me but I never forced him to pursue a law degree. In fact my wife and I want our kids to do their own things without influencing them. We are just lucky that they are successful.”

“Yeah, you’re lucky. Any grandkids?”
“No, we haven’t been lucky on that side but we are hopeful.” We both laugh.
“How are you a judge though? Most of them are so old and a bit tense when you look at them.” he laughs.
“I am also tense and serious when I am in court but when I am at my own home, I am a husband, a father and a friend. I never judge my family or friends and I make sure to separate my work from my personal life.”

“Now that’s a skill.” He chortles.
“Also I finished my degree at 20 years and did my articles. After that I got admitted and did my Masters Part time. By age 28, I already had a PhD and I was working at a regional court.”
“And we lived happily ever after.” Zoe chirps in and places a tray with food and water on the table near her husband. She laughs.

“Don’t be like that. The young one was actually keen on getting to know Me.” she rolls her eyes.
“She was just being polite. I am sure you bored her to death.” She sits next to him. I laugh.
“You are wrong, Zoe. He is not boring. He actually reminds me of my own father. He is very friendly and lively at home but at work, he is a different person.”

“What does he do?” Mazwakhe asks. I don’t think I will ever be able to pronounce his name without making fun of myself.
“He is a principal at a primary school near home.”
“That’s cool.” Zoe states with a smile.
“So you are a biologist?” Mazwakhe asks and I shake my head.
“I was taught to teach biology not become a biologist. There is a separate qualification I would have to learn in order to be a qualified biologist.” He nods.

We continue chatting and when it’s 5pm, Zoe drives me home in her Alfa Romeo 4C. This car just screams ‘steal me’. I hope she doesn’t get hijacked. I direct her to my building and she frowns when she parks outside.

“This is where you live?” she asks still frowning.
“Yeah. It’s not much but at least it’s a bit safer than most apartments.”

“I don’t like it. It’s not ideal and safe for a young woman like you.” she turns to look at me. I have never seen her this serious. She bites her lip before she starts talking. “My husband has a lot of apartments, one building in particular is located in Parktown. I will sleep better knowing that you are staying there, in a safe neighbourhood and it’s even closer to your work place.”
“Zoe, I can’t afford a place in Parktown. I am pretty sure the rent is 3k plus.”

“I wasn’t going to offer it to you if I was expecting some money. My husband seems fond of you and I know if he saw this place, he would literally drag you to Parktown kicking and screaming. You are my friend and I respect you, but you are younger than my second child, so I have every right to reprimand you and order you around.” I pout and she laughs. “I am serious. Text me your knock off time tomorrow and I will come fetch you so that we can go check out the place. Also, before I forget, my brother responded. You should check your emails but he said something about an interview on Tuesday.” My eyes pop out.

“Are you foreal?”
“Check your emails before you celebrate. I will see you tomorrow, Chichi.” We share a hug and I step out of the car. She presses on the hoot before driving off.

An hour later, Refilwe fetches me and we head to his friend’s house where there is a braai before heading back to his house to fuck each other like there is no tomorrow.