CHAPTER 72

FINALE PART TWO

“This place is really beautiful.” Quinn commends as we get seated at the Lubelihle Resort dining table. I am seated between her and Mathenji, the trouble friend. Makho is on the other side of the table with his family. Even Mogotsi and Mawande are here. I guess the Gumbi family has really accepted and embraced him. I wish to get to that stage with Makho and my parents. But I guess he will have to get hit by a car in their presence for them to have mercy on him.

“You're absolutely right. I have never seen a place like this before. It’s magnificent and breath-taking. I can’t wait to post pictures on my socials.”
“You can use my phone to snap those pictures.” Makho chirps in and Akose grins.
“Thank you very much brother in law.”

Makho looks so handsome today. I think he want to the salon because his dreads are styled differently and his beard has been nicely trimmed. He is also wearing a bit of foundation to hide the blue eye. Even with makeup on, his manly beauty is unmissable. He has that sex appeal and he is making me wet. I make eye contact with him and I lick my lips. Sorry, but I can’t help it. Besides, this is my man. He just smiles and shakes his head.

“How is everyone doing though? And why is Makhosonke not spotting a blue eye?” Mathenji asks and I punch her. She squeals and looks at me. “What? I just wanna know what has been happening. I think a lot has happened the past 24 hours.”
“If you must know,” Zoe leans in. “Mr. Gwendaline hit my son and thank you for that by the way. I feel like I would’ve been labelled as an abuser if I slapped him for…”
“Come on, Zoe. Give him a break about that.” I interrupt because I know she was going to talk about Makho forgetting her birthday. She laughs and raises her hands up in surrender mode.

“Today is a special occasion for both the Gumbi and the Gwendaline family. I have known Chizoba for a while now and I can safely say that she is special and kind hearted. Plus she connects with my wife. So that’s a bonus. I am looking forward to creating a long lasting relationship between the two families. My son is blessed to find a woman like Chizoba and I wish them nothing but the best.” Mazwakhe's words melt my heart. Can your future father in law ever?

“We are glad that we have been afforded this type of gathering before the serious talk begins. Now, what do you do for a living?” my father asks  Mazwakhe. He seems cool today.

“I am judge.” He responds.
“I am a housewife and a bookworm.” Zoe.
“I am a singer, songwriter and an actress.” Mawande.
“Well I am Mogotsi, Mawande's fiancé and I am an entrepreneur.” Mathenji chuckles.
“Understatement of the century.” I snort. Why does my friend have to always involve her madness even when people are being serious?
“My husband is a school principal. I, on the other hand, am a housewife, a mother and a grandmother. Those two last roles are full time, I am telling you.” Mom comments and Zoe laugh.

“I can relate. Raising 4 children plus a grown man ain’t a joke.” They share a look and then both of them break into laughter. I just caught on hit I won’t let it show. However, Mathenji doesn’t give a fuck about holding it in. She laughs with the older women.

“I can imagine how much fun it was, repeating the process 7 times. You’re the G mama Gwendaline.” Nathan’s woman though. Is there a way of making her vanish? Mom doesn’t even mind. In fact, she laughs harder. I think she and Mathenji will get along quite well because of their personalities.

We finish eating while making small talks. Makho hardly said anything during the meal. He is just smiling, laughing and nodding. Dad asks to speak to Mazwakhe in private. As they get up, Makho also gets up. He is looking deliciously handsome in a formal shirt and pants which are quite similar to the ones he wore when we first met. The 12k pants. I chuckle, not believing it. I remember burning those.

“Can I please take Chizoba out for dessert? Maybe buy her a book on the way?” Makho ask, looking at dad.
Dad shakes his head. “If I say no, what are you going to do?”
“Dad come on.” I stand up, fixing my dress. I look at Makho and he smiles. “Once you mention books, you know I won’t listen to a word after that.”
Dad laughs. “I still love my pretty face, so go.”
I hug both my friends and then Makho and I walk out.

“You look pretty today.” My baby compliments as he opens the car door for me.
“And you look awful in those pants.” He chortles.
“I knew you would have something to say about my pants.” He gets inside the car and drives out. “Your dad has zero chill, baby. I am always on edge around him. He needs to loosen up a bit. Does he drink?”

I giggle and roll my eyes. I knew a quiet Makho wasn’t gonna last. “So which book are you going to buy for your lady?”
“Which one do you want?”
“Love Tangled, Unmatched Hearts and A Burning Desire, all by Takalani M.”
He smiles. “Consider it done. So what is the name of our first born?”
“Baby, we have to make one first before naming them. Also no children out of wedlock.”

“I was thinking Nkosana if it’s a boy. The name can be translated to male heir. If it’s a girl, she can be Makhosazana, a young queen.” 
“I might as well entertain this idea. How about a Yoruba first name?” he shakes his head.
“Sorry love. Our children will be 75% Zulu and 25% Nigerian. So Zulu first names are compulsory. I want no child of mine to be named Remember or Christmas or even Joseph. Hell no.” This is one of the deepest shades he has ever cast but I am just going to ignore it.

“Whatever that makes you sleep at night.”
“You’re giving up? Without a fight?”
“We will cross this bridge when we get to it.”

I turn up the volume. This SETE song comes on. He is obsessed with it these days. He has recently posted a video of us dancing and kissing while it was playing on the background. He winks at me and starts singing. I record him for my Instagram story.

“Uyang'sanganisa, ofana nawe
Angek' aphind' akekh nak'lelizwe
Kukhon' ok'thize ngathi ngik'dlile,
Angith' uthanda mina? Ng'cela
Kungashintshi

Uyang’sanganisa, singanqoba
Nempi singayihlanganisa
Kukhon’ ok'thize ngathi ngik'dlile
Ungenza ng'phile

Ungithath' ungibeke, ngeke
Heh basihlukanis' uthando
Lugqwele
Ngcel' ubabheke izithele, oh
Zigqwele ungavumi zingene

Athi ngik'sete, ngik'sete
Athi ngik’sete, ngik'sete
Uthando lwakho lungenza ng'shelele.”

I don’t even know what the lyrics mean but the affectionate look he is giving me says it all. This is a love song. My God, I am in love with Makhosonke Gumbi, my Rasta. We finally get to our destination. Page Haven of course. Where else am I going to buy books if not here? We head inside and Makho leads m to the counter. I see this beautiful lady who usually assists Zoe and I when we come here. Her name is Thingo. I also heard that she is a lesbian.

“Hello Thingo.” My man greet her like they are old buddies.
“Hey, Makhosonke. Hey Chizoba. What can I do for you guys today?”
“I just need my special book for now and you can pack Love Tangled, Unmatched Hearts and A Burning Desire be Takalani M. We will take them later.”
“Cool.” She walks away and comes back after a minute with a small book in her hands. She gives it to Makho who hands it to me. The cover is all white with no pictures or writing. I frown, looking at him.

“What is this?” I bring it to my nose and the smell of a fresh new book hits me. I close my eyes and breathe it in.
“Love.” I open my eyes and look at him. He chuckles. “It’s a mysterious book. Go sit down and read it.”
“Weird but okay.” I walk to my favourite book and take a sit. I open the book and frown at the title on the first page.

THE ARROGANT JERK AND THE SASSY LADY By M. GUMBI

'Once upon a time, there was a handsome guy who was full of himself and super confident. He dated an evil princess who lived to tarnish and torment those she thought were beneath her. One day the guy met this beautiful dark beauty. Because he was with the evil princess he was rude to the dark beauty. He said some awful words and the dark beauty got mad at him. The next encounter was also not good because the evil princess manhandled the dark beauty. the guy didn't like what the evil princess did but he didn't want things to look as if he cared for the dark beauty. So he followed her outside and instead of apologizing to the deputy he said some words which didn’t sit well with the dark beauty. So she punched him.

Time and time again they bumped into each other and she's slowly warmed her way into his heart. One of those times he gave her ride and after she got off his car he was left with only has sent that penetrated his Cold Heart deeper and deeper. The dark beauty befriended his mother and he thought she had ulterior motives but it turns out the friendship was genuine. On a certain night, he met her and he one of his lowest moments. He was going through a lot and she helped him out of that awful situation. Her words of wisdom shook him up and made him realise he needed this woman in his life. He cut all ties with the evil princess and pursued the dark beauty. It wasn't an easy journey but they our love was strong enough to make them realise they were stronger together, compatible, the match of the century and could also not leave without each other.

Dear Dark Beauty

You are amazing. You are special. You are smart. You light up my whole body and life. You are the generator responsible of making my heart beat every second. Out of all of the women in the world, it is you that I love, you that I need you that, I want and you that I would love to grow old with.  there is no one like you. I love your skin tone, your beauty, your sassiness, your ability to mize everything around you as soon as you have a book in your hand just like you’re doing right now even though I am kneeling in front of you with a ring on my hand and wishing you agree to spending the rest of your life with me.’

My eyes pop out and I raise my head to see him really kneeling on one knee before me. I am feeling all kinds of emotions right now. Tears can't stop falling from my eyes. I knew that one day he will propose and it will be special but I never thought he would make it this personal and so sedimental. How does one stop crying though because I think I’m ruining the moment?

“I can’t stop the tears.” I whisper and he chuckles. “Ask me.”
He laughs. “Chizoba Makhosazana Gwendaline, will you marry me?”
“Yes, I will marry you, you arrogant handsome jerk.”

He smiles and puts the ring on my finger. It’s so beautiful but I will study it later. Right now I need to pay attention to my man. He pulls me up and we share the most passionate kiss ever. We break it and just look at each other, blushing like idiots.

“Thank you for saying yes. But even if you said no, I would’ve been a nuisance until you changed your answer.” I giggle. That sounds exactly like him. He is a go getter. I look around and see people cheering for us and some even taking videos. Thingo comes to us with a bouquet of roses and a gift bag. She hands both things to Makho. I wonder how much he paid for all this trouble. Makho hands me the gifts. I think I will check what’s inside the gift bag in the car.

“So what do you wanna eat?” he asks as we step out of the store. He is carrying a red carrier bag with the books I requested and also our special book. I will forever Honor that one. There are a few pages I didn’t get to but as soon as I find time, I will dive right in.
“I just want ice cream, and a milkshake and a cake slice. All from Enhle’s Sweet Tooth.”
He gives me that panty dropping smile. “Anything for my fiancé.”

We drive to the bakery and he purchases what I have requested. He knows my favourite flavours. While he is busy in the boot, I open my gift bag. My God. This man lives to make blush. He bought me an iPhone 14. Worse, it hasn’t been long since he bought me the 13 model. This is the first relationship where I have been spooled this much. He also bought me a luxurious black handbag. I open it to find a lot of cash stacked inside. He chooses that moment to renter the car. I turn to look at him with new years now. I can’t even hold them in.

“Baby, this is too much. What am I going to do with this money when you make it your life mission to buy things for me?”
He chuckles. “if I don’t spoil you, then who will? Besides, this, gifts and all, is my love language. So let me be, woman.” I lean over and kiss him. Is there anything called too much love and affection? I think this will be my cause of death.

I don’t even realise we are driving to his house until he parks on the driveway which has a few cars lined up. I think the families have come to celebrate with us or something along those lines. I quickly use facial wipes to clean my face as we walk towards the front door. I am met by a squealing Mathenji when Makho opens the door. My friend is jumping up and down with pure joy and excitement.

“The ring. The ring babe. I wanna see the ring.” She screams as she pulls my left hand. She gushes over the silver band and pulls me to a tight hug. “I am so happy for you, my love. Congratulations.” No more tears now. I am tired.
“Thank you.”
“Now welcome to your new home. Sorry. I couldn’t stop myself, but come.” She leads me to the dining area and as soon as the doors open, people scream 'SURPRISE!' I nearly run out. Makho is full of surprises.

“Welcome to your engagement luncheon baby.” Makho’s voice brings me back to the present moment.
“Thank you, love.” I hug him. I am actually thanking him for a lot of things but I can’t put them in words, right now. Maybe tomorrow. Everything is so beautiful and everyone looks classy. My parents come to congratulate me together with my younger siblings. Followed by the Gumbi family. All this is making me emotional once again. Is it 'Make Chizoba cry' day? Because wow.

We move around as he introduces me to his friends, colleagues, business associates and even neighbours. Even though I know my face is puffy From all the crying, I am glad my dress is not that bad. After all those pleasantries, people get settled in the two long dinner tables and are served starters. I am glad there are no formal speeches and all. I quietly stand up and make my way to Mawande.

“A word, please.”
“Okay.” She stands up with her bag and I lead her to the nearest bathroom. “What’s up?” She asks as soon as I close the door.
“I need some quick make up. Maybe even 10 minutes quickness just to rid of all the puffiness and oiliness.” She smiles.
“Don’t worry sister in law. I got you.” I sit on the bench and she starts doing her magic. She always carry an emergency make up bag. “So how does it feel to be engaged to the mighty Makhosonke Gumbi?”

“Still hasn’t sunk in.” I shrug and we both laugh. “I am happy, beyond happy and overwhelmed by his love. When he does something, he always go all out and sometimes I feel guilty because I don’t know how to reciprocate those actions. Especially when it comes to gifts.”

“Get him flowers, homemade chocolate, whiskey, cufflinks and pants. My brother is a softie and a hopeless romantic. He loves the cute stuff and is obsessed with cufflinks and pants. As long as they are expensive and beautiful.”
“Wow. Thank you for that. I once burned his pants but my actions were justified.” She laughs.

“You are going to be my favourite Gumbi wife. And I think we are done.” I stand up and look at my reflection in the mirror. This girl is a miracle worker.
“Thank you so much, babes. This is beautiful. You are good. Quit singing and acting already. You know your true calling.”
She giggled. “I will firstly discuss this with my fiancé and we will see. Who knows? Maybe he might build me my own MAC. Now let’s go back before they send a search party for us.”

We head out just in time to see Makho asking one of the waiters about me.

“Hey. Have you seen my fiancé? She is the most beautiful woman here. A melanin queen. She has on this gorgeous green dress which is showing off her curves and white heels. She is yay tall and has a bright platinum ring on her finger.” I giggle and he turns towards us. He starts walking to me. “Thank God. I thought you had run away from me or something.”

I smile. “Never. You’re stuck with me forever, bhuti.” He laughs and hugs me. My Rasta cutie.

-------THE END-------