THE WEDDING PART THREE

MAKHOSONKE GUMBI

“Umm, sir.” One of the planners, Mrs. Mpisi, interrupts me as I tie my shoes. I raise my head and look at her.
“Is everything okay?” She looks constipated, like she just found out that her husband slept with her best friend.
“Yes, eish, no. But we are doing everything we can to fix our current problem.”
I frown. “Which is?”

“A Miss Monica Nonye came in to the reception area. All the décor was done and dusted. So it was left unmonitored. She go there and broke every glass, glass tables, glass centerpieces and even your glass backdrop. It is a warzone out there. Luckily someone caught her in action and called the security and cops. The cops are on their way. She is being detained at the security’s office.”

I sigh. This is a drama I didn’t anticipate. I really don’t need it. And Monica chose this day of all days to mess with me. What the fuck is wrong with that girl? I haven’t seen in over a year. What did she think she will gain from ruining my wedding?

“How much will it cost to fix the damage?” I ask.
“We will just have to replace all the décor. We have no choice.”
“Have you spoken to my wife?”
“Londy is with her right this moment.”

I take off my blazer and put on a long robe. “Lets see if there is something we can come up with. At the end of the day, this wedding has to take place. Any templates or set up that can be put together in 5 hours?” I know I am asking for something impossible but I am caught in a hard place right now.

“We can go for wooden. A Thanksgiving themed wedding or a fall or autumn themed wedding.  these two themes highlight your colours, black, gold and brown. We will have to consult with Mrs. Gumbi and then make some quick calls.”

“Okay. Do that. Go with whichever theme she chooses.” She gives me a small smile before nodding. “My assistant will transfer money into your account to make everything easier.”

“Sure.” She quickly heads out. I follow behind her but take a different direction. In the corridor, I bump into my parents. Mom looks so angry. I guess she has heard or seen Monica’s shenanigans. Dad on the other hand, if you don’t know him, you would think he is unbothered but I can see that he is borderline pissed.

“Dad, how much is in your personal account?” I ask and he frowns. “No. I don’t wanna rob you. I will replace it as soon as my phone is with me. I just need to transfer money to the planners so that they can fix the damage Monica caused.” He nods and hands me his phone.

“Take whatever you need, son. After you’re done, you might wanna rush to the security’s office. I saw your wife heading there.” Fuck me. I know my wife, so I know she can be unhinged sometimes, especially when you mess with her. I quickly Google Elegancy Planners' account number and then transfer R250 000 into their account right after increasing dad’s transfer limit.
“Thanks dad.” Having rich parents can be an advantage. I hand him back his phone. “Ma, what should I do with the Monica issue?”

“It’s time to man up, Makhosonke. Show this kid who is boss. Do it fast before your wife does it for you. You know how short-tempered Igbo women can be when provoked.” She pulls her man and they walk away. I rush to the security’s office and I am stunned to find Monica with her sister and two friends. I knew she couldn’t have pulled all that without any help. Chizoba is leaning on the table and she looks like she wants to skin Monica alive.

“Baby.” She looks up and our eyes meet. “Everything is going to be okay. She didn’t win. You are still Mrs. Gumbi. The wonder twins are doing their magic as we speak. In less than 7 hours, we are going to walk in our reception and have the best wedding ever. Don’t allow this 2k to ruin your day. You, my beautiful Nubian queen. Who am I without your smile and humour?” she rolls her eyes, a small smile playing on her lips and then looks away. I am just going to pretend as if we are alone in this room. “Sambulo deserves a bonus though. You look like a black Barbie. Flawless and actually edible.” She cracks up while giving me a scolding look.