CHAPTER 34

It’s Friday and I can’t wait to get out of here so that I can prepare for my friends’ dinner. It’s going to be the first time hosting them or even having them in one place. I just hope their personalities click and we have a smooth evening. I told Makho about the dinner and he sent 12k just so I can ‘prepare’ for it. It was ironic and I remembered the day we met, when he told me about his 12k pants. I swear to God, when I finally sleep over at his place, I will tear those pants apart of even burn them, just for control. Imagine getting 12k just to prepare for dinner. If I were to ask for cosmetics money, how much would he give me? But I don’t wanna start asking for money from him because I will make it a habit. It’s okay if he just gives it to me randomly, although it’s too much, I won’t complain or be modest about it. I love money, just like any other human in the world.

I sigh, walking out of my last period for the day. I had only 3 periods today and they were all before lunch. The moment I enter my office, I take off my heels and breathe out loud. I toss them away and place my file and textbook on my desk.

“Miss Gwendaline,” the clerk calls out and I turn to look at her. “There is someone here for you.”
“Okay. You can send them in. please ask Rena to order for me whatever she is ordering.”
“I will do so.” She walks out and I sit down on my chair, waiting for the surprise guest.

A few moments later, a gentleman walks in. he looks good, handsome even. He is wearing a brown three-piece suit with Italian shoes. He closes the door behind him and makes himself comfortable on the chair opposite mine without even greeting. Okay.

“I am Mr. Mthimkhulu, Mesuli’s father. I believe his mother told you I will be stopping by to hear what’s happening with my boy.” He states arrogantly but there is a bit of politeness underneath.

“Hey, how are you? I am Miss Gwendaline, Mesuli’s teacher. Next time you arrive at someone’s office without an appointment or even if you made an appointment, greet first before stating what you are there for.” He frowns. “Now, how about you greet me first before we talk about anything else?”

He looks taken aback. “Wow, okay. Good day Miss Gwendaline. How are you?”
“I am well, thank you for asking.” I sit back and then start explaining Mesuli’s condition to him. He keeps nodding and asking questions and follow ups, like a true parent, not that I am talking bad about Mesuli’s mother. Now I understand what she meant by ‘the father is a more hands on parent’.

“Thank you so much for this observation, Miss Gwendaline.”
I smile. “It’s my pleasure but I might be wrong. Please take him to a doctor for some testing and evaluation. The doctor’s professional opinion is always important.” 

He nods. “I will do so. Now how much do you want for all this work you have done?” I frown, sitting back.
“Excuse me?”
He smirks. “I am not trying to offend you. I am sure this whole research interrupted your personal time, so I would like to pay for it.”

“Listen here, Mr. Mayor. What I did was for my student. I actually get paid by the school to teach leaners and care for them. You don’t need to pay me for whatever extra shit I do on my extra time. I am doing it because of the love I have for teaching and for my students. I think that’s all. You can leave now.” I take my phone and Mr. Mthimkhulu clears his throat. I look at him.

“I didn’t mean to offend you.”
“Ow no you didn’t. It’s always money talk with you people. I only hope that your child gets all the help he can get without you offending other people further. Also, stop carrying so much about your image and put the child first. Goodbye.”

He sighs before standing up. “I apologize for my behaviour, Miss Gwendaline. Is there a way to make it up to you?”
“I don’t care about you. My only concern is your son, my student.”
“I hope you will find it in your heart to put this behind us.” he smiles at me before walking out, his expensive cologne dominating the office even after he has closed the door behind him.

Nneka texts me, asking that we hang out on Saturday morning because she is off work and I agree because I don’t have plans. A few minutes later, Rena walks in with both our lunches in her hands. We eat while catching up and she tells me about this traffic cop guy who is courting her. You can see her blush as she explains how he has been sending cute texts and calling her every morning and every night.

“By the way, I will be bringing an overnight bag just in case our dinner extends to longer hours.” She states as she gets up, putting the takeaways in the trash can. I chuckle.
“I don’t mind sharing my bed with you.”
She smiles. “See you tonight then.”

After knocking off, I head to the mall and pick up a few things for dinner and a chocolate cake. I also buy bottles of wine and then some finger foods. I decide to drive to Zoe’s home before heading to my apartment. When I get there, I find Mazwakhe in the lounge, reading a newspaper.

“Hello, Mr. Gumbi.” I greet and he raises his head.
“Makoti.” He smiles widely. “How are you?” I am not good with Zulu but I know makoti means daughter-in-law. I am not going to comment on that.

“I am good. I just came to check on Zoe.”
“And not to visit your in-laws?” he asks with a smile and I chuckle, shaking my head.
“No. nobody knows me as Makho’s girlfriend here. So how about we wait for him to introduce me before I come and visit the in-laws?”

He smirks. “You’re wise. Anyways, my wife is in the theatre room. She is actually binging on some new series and I know she will bite my head off if I disturb her.” I laugh.
“I know exactly what you mean. Let me sneak up on her.”

“Good luck.” He calls out after me and I chuckle. I get to the theatre room and I light it up since its dark.
“I swear to God, I am going to murder you today, Mazwakhe Gumbi.” Zoe states with a stern voice without even turning. I snort.
“We should look for another wife for my future father in law if you’re treating him like this.” I remark and she turns her head.

“Hey.” She pauses the series. “Why didn’t you tell me you were going to stop by? I would’ve made some snacks for you. I am sure you’re hungry.” I smile as we share a hug.
“I will grab something on my way home.” She nods. “I just had a thought. How about you guys come over my place Sunday evening and I cook dinner for you? It’s unfair that you have hosted me a couple of times and I have never, not once, hosted you.”

She beams. “I am game. As long as you will cook Nigerian dishes.”
“That’s not a problem.” I answer and she does a mini dance which is hilarious I end up laughing. She hooks her arm on mine and we head out of the theatre room.
“How is my son treating you?” I roll my eyes.

“I last saw him on Monday and things were good. We parted on good terms and we talk every day. Ohh and he sent me money just because I told him I am hosting a few of my friends for dinner tonight.”
“That’s not out of the ordinary. He should give you money every chance he gets. For the fact that you agreed to be his girlfriend, that’s someone he should pay for every day.”

I gasp. “That’s daylight robbery.” She chuckles.
“It’s not, according to her.” Mazwakhe chirps in. “I actually pay the girlfriend tax even after 30 plus years of marriage.”
I turn to my friend. “You are a phara, Zoe.” She laughs.

“Hey, he should pay for fucking me every day. He should appreciate me every waking day. He should be glad that he gets to wake up next to greatness and not a monster wearing sheep skin every day. I am a blessing in his life and he should count thrice when counting Me.” she says proudly and her husband smiles.

“I know how lucky I am. Sometimes I look at you sleeping or when I just stare at you absentmindedly as you explain your books to me and I wonder what good deed I did in my life for God to reward me with someone like you.” I am touched, guys.

“Let’s renew our vows.” Zoe states out of the blue and she is also surprised by her words because her eyes pop out. Mazwakhe laughs and nods.
“Before you get lost in your love bubble, come to my apartment for dinner Sunday.” I hug them both and walk out.

“We will see you there, dear daughter.” I hear Mazwakhe saying as I walk out of the door and I chuckle. The love they share is so extraordinary. I want that too when I finally get married.