CHAPTER 14

“I honestly can’t get over this beauty. I can see myself hosting parties here, a formal family dinner there, a quickie there.” Mathenji points at the couch in the living room and I laugh. When I got to work, I told her about the apartment and she was dying to see it. After gym, we took an Uber to Parktown and she hasn’t closed her mouth ever since the driver dropped us off. She has complimented everything we passed, including the attire of the doorman. “But this place is supposed to have two bedrooms. Where do they expect your visitors to sleep?” I laugh.

“With me on the bed or on the couch.” She cringes.

“You fart, so I will have to pass on sleeping with you.” I gasp.

“Mathenji!” she rolls her eyes.

“You know I am right.”

After giving her the full tour, we heat out and she calls one of her boyfriend to come pick us up.

“I have an interview on Wednesday and I don’t know what I am going to do about work.” She stops walking and looks at me.

“Is the salary higher?”

“It’s my dream job.”

“Wow babe.” She squeezes me into a tight hug. “Things are happening for you. All your prayers are being answered. All that’s left now is your prince charming.” I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

“Forget about that. What am I going to tell MaNyathi?”

“The truth. She is not a ruthless woman and she knows not all of us are destined to mop the floors of Checkers forever. She has allowed me to go to interviews three times but I was never lucky. You just have to tell her the moment you clock in tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you, love. I wonder how my life would’ve been like if I had befriended MaNsele.” She laughs.

“You would’ve been one of her puppets like Fikile and the others.” We both laugh. MaNsele is what you call an elder. She has been working as a cleaner at Checkers for about 9 years now. She is in her late fifties, so no one is comfortable with calling her by her name, so we all settle for MaNsele. She loves meddling in other people’s businesses and she thinks she is actually in her twenties because she is all over the place.

We find Bangi’s car already parked in the parking lot. We climb inside, greet him and then he drives off.

I finally take a deep breath as I walk out of the science lab where the interview was held. I am confident that I did my best and answered all the questions honestly. I even aced the 30 minutes test that I was given. I was the only one interviewing, so I am really hoping for the best. As I climb inside my Uber, my phone rings. It’s Zoe. How the hell did she know that the interview is over? Ow yeah, her brother is the headmaster, you idiot.

“Hey, Mrs. Gumbi.” I answer the call with a wide smile.

“Hello, baby. My brother was so impressed by the way you carried yourself, by how quick it took you to solve that problem you were given and how you answered the questions. I don’t wanna come off as forward, but they are going to call you as soon as possible. You better serve your notice at work. I don’t do empty promises.”

“Thank you for doing this for me, Zoe. You don’t know how much I appreciate it. With my fourth salary, I will definitely take you to a weekend getaway with my best friend and your daughter, if she doesn’t mind.”