CHAPTER 67

The next morning we head back to the grandma’s house. There are a lot of people today. I am glad I am wearing my brand new Ankara dress. I have a lot of fun with Makho's grandmother. She is so fond of me. She is telling me a lot of stories from the past. I learn that she used to be an accountant but retired early to take care of her kids. That’s Noble of her. I don’t know why people don’t appreciate mothers who quit their jobs just to take care of their kids. It’s a huge thing to sacrifice that Independence and a bit of freedom just for your kids. Out there, there are some women who leave their children just to pursue different careers.

Most of the family doesn’t seem to have problem with me but I overheard his cousins saying nasty things about me. I am not sure about a lot of words they say but I did hear kwerekwere and Makhosonke's name and that made me but two and two together. I didn’t tell Makho about it though because I have no intention of tearing the family apart. Whether I am foreign or not, it won’t change my feelings for my man or his feelings for me.

The following day, we visit the Gumbi household. More family members are hostile towards me but I think they need time to warm up to me. I was told that them liking me is a huge deal since they are Makho’s family but if they wanna discriminate me, fuck them.

“Your place is really nice, elegant and just you. The pictures don’t do it any justice. I can see your touch everywhere and it wouldn’t be your place without a book case.” My sister, Akose, says as she looks around my apartment.

They landed about an hour ago and I had to go and fetch them straight from work. Zoe borrowed me a family car which is a metallic black Mercedes Benz Vito. They use it for local family vacations or whenever they want to go to family events  together. When I told her that my parents are coming with my siblings and two of my brother’s children, she insisted that I use it. I had to test drive it yesterday under Makho's supervision because I have never driven mini bus before. I can safely say that Makho wouldn’t have survived a day in my occupation because that guy has no patience whatsoever. I could see that my father had a lot of questions when I picked them up but I know he is waiting for the right time to ask.

My father is not the crazy uncontrolled type. I have never seen him discipline his kids publicly. He always wants until we are alone at home before asking for the whole story and then shouting at you or beating you, if necessary. My mom is a different case altogether. That woman is unhinged. If you are accused of something, she will discipline you at that same moment without even hearing your side of the story. She is every bit of an African mom and when she gets like that, you just have to accept the punishment and wait for maybe a few weeks before addressing the issue.

“How can you afford this place?” she asks, making herself comfortable on the couch in the lounge.
“A friend of mine bought it for me. She lives not far from here. She saw my previous apartment and she immediately knew that it was unsafe for a single young woman to say alone there.” I answer her. Then it hits me that I only told Dad about Zoe and everything. I don’t have a tight relationship with Mom. We only take when she is asking for money or when there is a crisis. When I have daughter in maybe 6 years, I will make sure that I have a healthy and comfortable relationship with her.

“I am hungry.” Chukwudi complains, sitting on the rug next to dad who is on the couch with Mom.
“I ordered some late lunch for you and I was wondering if we could go out for dinner. I just came back from work, so I hadn’t had time to cook and everything.” I explain because I don’t want them thinking that I live off on takeaways. I get up and head to the kitchen. I put chips, biscuits and some muffins on the tray. I go place it on the coffee table and serve them juice. “You can nibble on this while we wait for food to be delivered.”

“Thanks sister.” Ndidiamaka says in a polite voice. She is normally shy which is very rare in our family.

I have just joined gym which is a few minutes from my place and Makho actually goes there with me. You know, for a handsome and rich guy, he sure is insecure and clingy. I had these really short gym shorts which I wore on our first gym session together. The next day, I found him here at my place with a gift bag which had brand new Adidas gym gear. It was a loose vest, sports bra, over the knee tights and trainers. I thanked him and I told him I had a gym gear. He just showed me what used to be it in the sink. The asshole actually burned it. Stupid Jerk.

I hear a knock on the door and quickly tend to it. Great. Food is here. I didn’t up for everyone and then go take a shower. Makho calls me while I am shaving my legs.

“Are you sure I can’t see you?” he asks and I just laugh. He can be a cry baby sometimes, well most of the time when I am not near him.
“I don’t mind, as long as you’re willing to face my father’s wrath. The man probably thinks that I gained back my virginity after my failed engagement.” He laughs. We are at a great place now, where my past engagement doesn’t pisses him off as it used to. It took a while for us to get here. I actually found it weird when he straight up asked me to tell him about my relationship, but I have come to terms with the fact that Makhosonke Gumbi is weird, arrogant, annoyingly smart, confident, territorial and everything in between but he does have a lot of love for me and he isn’t afraid to show it.

“Joseph didn’t know how to put it down. That’s why I found you as tight as you are. They must tell how to come to me and ask for pointers.” What did I say? The guy is unapologetically arrogant.
“Who said you know how to put it down?” I tease him and he laughs.

“Honey, that’s not what you were saying last night when I banged you. I actually googled every word you said in your mother tongue. Shit was hot as hell. You couldn’t get enough of my Zulu dick.” Can someone please shut him up? Last night was nothing short of amazing. We had dinner at his house in the patio and then he fucked me the whole night. I gave him a strip show just to entice him and he brought out the big guns. Hand cuffs, nipple clamps and other kinky shit. I didn’t know he was into that type of think but now I know and I swear I will go all dominant on him soon. He won’t know what hit him.

“I am hungry, love.”
“Okay. Go eat. I guess I will see you tomorrow or Sunday.” We planned that I should tell my father about him today or tomorrow and then they will have dinner or lunch together. I just hope it doesn’t go South.
“Let me check if you didn’t leave any underwear in my closet.” He laughs.
“I don’t know. Maybe I left three as a motivation for you to come clean as soon as possible.”
“You love me too much to hurt me like that.” He chuckles.
“Yeah, I love you. See you soon.”

We end the call and I get dressed. I first make sure that everything is set for my mom and dad in my bedroom and then go place my overnight bag in the table near the lounge. The kids will be sleeping in the lounge in inflatable mattresses which I brought just for this visit but I know they will help me again in the future should they decide to visit. Akose and I will be sleeping in Makho’s apartment. I am too old to sleep on the floor. I find everyone already done eating. Ndidiamaka and Nicola, my niece, are washing dishes while Akose is taking selfies on the balcony. I walk to where my parents are seated.

“You can come and freshen up or even take a nap in the bedroom.” They nod and get up.
“This place is really beautiful.” Dad compliments. I love my old man though. He is a king of compliments. He is a down to earth, chilled guy, well until you mess with his family.
“Thanks Dad. I try really hard to make it a home.”

“You do know that a house cannot be completely a home without a husband and kids?” mom states matter of factly as she sits on the bed. “This is comfortable. Look, Chizoba, I am not trying to pressure you or anything, but everyone deserves some love and happiness in their lives and men bring just that.” Why is my father so quiet? I feel like this is a trap, but mom always preaches about marriage and kids, so…

I steal a glance at dad and he chuckles. “Act as if I am not here. Where is the bathroom? I would love to shower.”
“That side.” I point at the door which leads to the en-suite. He nods and walks away.
“Now where were we?” mom though. I like her better when she is pretending as if I don’t exist.