CHAPTER 4

“You have been glowing all morning. What happened? Did you get laid last night?” Mathenji asks as I enter the tea room. I chortle, washing my hands before warming my lunch box. “Come on, spill. You’re killing me.” I sit down next to her.

“My day off was very entertaining. I did my hair and went to the movies. Then I met a guy who took me out for late lunch.”

“A guy you met on the same day took you out for lunch? Where did you go? KFC?” I laugh and took a bite on my wings.

“You want one?” she shakes her head.

“I am on some kind of a diet. So, yeah. Anyways, tell me about the date.”

“It’s not a date, just late lunch. He was at the cinema and we were sitting next to each other. We spoke a bit when the movie ended and then he said we should do late lunch. I couldn’t say no to free food. So we went to Panarottis and I ordered a lot of food, hoping to bankrupt him but he dismissed me with a laugh. We exchanged numbers after that and we went our separate ways.”

“He didn’t call last night?” I shake my head.

“I don’t really care. Yeah we vibed but that didn’t mean I want to date him. I am okay with my celibacy phase.”

“It’s sad but I am not comment about it further.” I laugh.

“I also bumped into Masonke and Monica. Monica actually said I was stalking them. She annoyed me. I wished I could just punch her. Then her man followed me to the parking lot just to make sure that I don’t arrest her for assaulting me.” Mathenji frowns.

“What do you mean by assaulting you?” I explain the incident to her. “What if he wanted to apologize to you but didn’t know how to go about it since apologizing is not in his nature?”

“Well I don’t care what is in his nature or not. He and his girlfriend are rude and I wish I never bump into them in the future. I am tired of seeing that Rastafarian.” She laughs.

“OMG! I have never heard someone call Makhosonke a Rastafarian. You have some balls, Chichi.”

“That’s what he said.” We both burst out laughing. We continue chatting and she also tells me about an upcoming family wedding she has to attend. She complains about the contribution she was told to pay.

“I mean why get married when you don’t have enough money? If you can’t afford a white wedding, go to Home Affairs and get a marriage certificate. Last time I checked, it was R75. That cheap.” I chuckle.

“You know how African families are with weddings. Parents use that time to show everyone that their kids are getting married and can afford extravagant weddings. Some even take out loans because of the wedding pressure. When I finally get kids of my own, I won’t live my life through them and I will teach them that marriage is not a number one priority in life.”

“If you were to raise something like that on social media, you would be dragged for days.”

“You know how people get when you tell the truth. They rather be comforted with lies than being told the truth.”

As soon as I climb off a taxi and walk inside the building where my apartment is at, my phone rings. A small smile plays on my lips when I see who the caller is via true caller app.