CHAPTER 7

The car comes to a halt outside my building and he switches off the engine. He turns his whole body to face me and has a stupid grin on his face.

“Tomorrow night we're having dinner at my house. Make sure you shave.” He winks and I crack up. “Or not. Sometimes a bush is attractive.

“My God, stop it.” He smiles. “See you tomorrow then.” I open the door and climb off.

“No goodbye kiss?” he pouts and I roll my eyes.

“Don't get attached, Refilwe.” I walk inside my building without even sparing him a glance.

Mathenji has about 5 boyfriends and one of them owns a few gyms. So she somehow got us VIP memberships at one of the guy's gyms. I have never been to a gym before, hence my lack of gym clothing. My friend has that all covered because she arrives at my apartment with a shopping bag containing a gym set which includes a sports bra, shorts and joggers.

“You look fine as hell, mami.” She licks her lips as we walk to the gym which is 20 minutes away from my apartment. “They won't know what hit them at Be Active today.” I chuckle.

“Cut it, Mathenji. Why are we going to the gym again? I know it's not because of Bangi. You have dated him for months now and never asked him for a gym membership. Why now?”

“Why do you have to be such a genius?” she groans and I laugh, shrugging. “I am a jealous woman, you know that. So I heard he is cheating on me and the woman is a regular at one his gyms.”

“God, so we are going there to harass innocent women? I have incomplete books waiting for me, calling for me to read this right this moment.” She rolls her eyes.

“We are not going to make it obvious. Women talk, all the time. We just have to blend in.”

“And? If you find the woman, then what?”

“Confront him. He is weak. He is going to cry and beg for my forgiveness and I will demand a decent apartment.” I laugh.

“You sly motherfucker. And what do I get for supporting you?”

“Getting all sweaty and sexy with some hunks at the gym.” She winks and we both laugh.

We enter the gym and since it is our first time here, we are assigned to beginner exercises. An hour later, we walk out feeling drained. I actually regret coming here because I don’t think I can make it to work tomorrow, or my apartment right now for that matter.

“If I don't make it to work tomorrow, you will work my sections and come up with a valid reason as to why I didn't come in.” I moan, feeling pain in my legs as I walk. She chuckles.

“Don't be dramatic. It will be better when you wake up. See you at work.” She winks before jogging the opposite way and I am legit shocked. Like star struck. How can she jog like that after that intense workout? Traitor.

It's almost dark but I am not worried about the thieves because the only things I am carrying are my keys, towels and water bottle. A really posh car drives past me and I stop for a moment, taking in the pain and glancing at this magnificent car which miraculously stops and reverses. Don't tell me it's coming to me. It actually does stop next to me and as the driver lowers the window, I click my tongue. Not the Rastafarian. What does he want now?