CHAPTER 59

I have never seen Wande this hysterical. Well truth be told, I haven’t known her for that long, so there are a lot of things I don’t know about her. But I know she is not the type of person to lose her cool. However, the girl went crazy as soon as I parked the car outside the hospital. She called the porters fast and they were wheeling Mogotsi inside the hospital within a blink if an eye. What I didn’t anticipate were the number of people actually filming what was happening. What is wrong in this world? They didn’t care about whatever Wande was going through. What they cared about most was the content. Inside the hospital, they were filming Mawande as she paced up and down the corridor with blood soaked clothes. I had to shove her into a bathroom and lock her in while I raced to Makho’s car to retrieve my overnight bag which contained a dress, some cosmetics and shit. I cleaned her up with facial wipes and then helped her get dressed in my burgundy dress. It was two sizes bigger than her but it was better than her clothes. The family arrived at the hospital half an hour later.

“Baby.” Mazwakhe drawls and that is enough to snap Wande out of it. She jumps up from her seat and goes to throw herself in her father’s arms.
“There was so much blood, dad. What if he is dead? What if I lost him? I love him. He can’t leave me. He promised to marry me. He can’t just break his promise like that.” Wande sobs in her father’s arms and I see Mazwakhe sighing before he moves both Wande and himself to the couches. They sit down and he rocks her back and forth.

“Did you find out something about the car that drove away?” I ask Makho as he comes to put his blazer around me. He shakes his head.
“We will get someone to look at the security footage outside Wande’s house to see if they can pick up something about whoever that hit Mogotsi.” He explains and I nod. “Did someone contact Mogotsi’s family or friends? It would be very bad if they heard about this from the media.”

“Wande doesn’t have her phone with her.” I respond.
“I have it right here.” Sinethemba hands it to me. “There have been some journalists that have called. It’s funny how bad news travel faster than flash.” I walk to where Wande is.
“Can you please open your phone for me? I need to tell Mogotsi’s family about this.” I tell her and she takes it away from my hand.
“I will do it. I will call his mother and she will tell the family.” I go back to my seat while she dials a number. She speaks in a hushed voice and ends the call a few moments later.

30 minutes later, a woman in her late fifties comes in followed by a man her age and two young men. The woman goes straight to Wande. She touches her arm and Wande looks up. She jumps into the woman’s arms and start crying loudly again. Her cries break my heart. I can imagine the pain and anguish I would be in if Makho was in the same position.

“Can somebody please tell me what’s going on?” the older man asks. He looks like an older version of Mogotsi. There is no doubt that it’s his father.
Masande stands up. “Sir. I am Masande Gumbi, Mawande’s brother.” He extends his hand and both men do a handshake.
“I am Mohapi Moagi. Mogotsi’s father. This is my wife, Keabetswe and my sons, Boikanyo and Gaone. What happened to my son?” he asks in a cool tone.

“Well Mawande wanted to introduce him to our family, so we had dinner and when it was over, we walked him to the driveway. Just as he was driving out to join the road, a car came out of nowhere and hit his car, sending it flying to the fence. Everything happened so fast. One moment we were shocked by the quick accident in front of our eyes, we didn’t even see Mawande running to Mogotsi and Chizoba, my brother’s girlfriend, follow her with a car. Mawande singlehandedly managed to drag Mogotsi out of his car and the two women put him on the backseat of the car. They drove away so fast and brought him here. The car that collided with Mogotsi’s car sped off straight after it hit him. We can’t help but wonder if it was a mere accident or something that was premeditated.” Masande narrates and Mohapi nods.

“Have the doctors said anything?” Gaone asks. Masande shakes his head. As if they sensed it, two doctors come to the waiting room.
“Gumbi family, right?” the coloured doctor asks.
“Yes. What is going on with my son?”

“I am Doctor Forbes and this is my colleague, Doctor Mahlawe and we have been working together to help Mr. Moagi. He sustained a head injury, his head stroke against the window at the time of the collusion and he also sustained neck injuries from the whiplash. We have to commend the ladies who brought him in because they helped us prevent some major damage. He will be going to surgery soon because his x-ray results showed that he broke some ribs and his right arm.”
“Is he going to be okay? When can we see him?” his mother asks.

“Seeing him won’t be possible right now, Ma’am. We are preparing him for surgery. The past hour we have been trying to stabilize him and neutralize any threats. We will come inform you about his health after we are done working on him.” Dr. Mahlawe responds. “If you will excuse us.” she starts walking away.
“You may want to go home, rest a bit and come back in the morning because we might be done with his surgery after midnight. Even after that, we don’t think we will be allowing visitors until we know for sure that he is out of danger.” Dr. Forbes asks.

“Can you please allow me to see him? Even if it’s for a millisecond. I don’t think I will be able to close my eyes or do anything. The last image of him is seeing his unconscious bloodied body and it is traumatizing me. I am even scarred of blinking because the images just come back stronger than ever. Please let me.” Wande pleads in a broken voice. She even attempts to kneel on the floor but her father quickly catch him.

“Please doctor. She is not going to touch him or anything. She is just going to stand in the door. This is my son we are talking about and believe me, I wanna see him as soon as possible just so I can be sure that he is alive and that you aren’t just lying to us. But I understand Mawande’s feelings. I have been there before. Please allow her.” Mrs. Gumbi please and Dr. Forbes sighs.

“We will allow you for only a minute.” She replies before walking away. Mawande walks behind her but at the very last moment, she grabs my hand and literally drags me out of the waiting room. I don’t dare say anything. I know she needs support, even though she can’t voice that out loud. We turn a corner and then come to a halt in front of a closed door. Dr. Forbes opens it and steps inside. “Only a minute, Wandy G. I am only allowing you because I am a fan.” She smiles.
“Well this is one of the few times I am glad I am famous.” Wande states before walking inside the ward.

She stops a few feet from the bed and stares at Mogotsi. She doesn’t move and I am worried that she has even stopped breathing. After a while she turns and heads out. I follow her. The door closes behind us. Once in the hallway, she leans on the wall and slides until she is sitting on the cold tiles. I can’t help but notice people filming her. People have no shame. I guess to them, a tough time like this means nothing if you are a celebrity. I sit in front of her and try to hide her from the prying eyes.

“He wasn’t moving, Chichi. He is just laying there like a dead man. He is scarring me. I can’t do this life thing without him. He can’t do me like that. Please tell him he can’t do me like that.” tears fall on her beautiful cheeks and she doesn’t bother wiping them. I bring her into my arms and embrace her. Sometimes when a person is going through a lot, they don’t need you to say something to them. a hug can be exactly what they need because it assured them that you are there for them and won’t let them walk through the valley of the dead alone. After a few minutes of sitting on the cold floor, I start feeling cold. I stand up and help Wande up. We head back to the waiting room.

“How is he?” Makho asks and I shake my head.
“Well, we have a problem.” Sinethemba states and we all turn to look at her. “You are trending and it’s not looking good.”