CHAPTER 70

(Read the continued version of chapter 69 before proceeding with this chapter)

I am a ball of nerves as the elevator descends. Jesus Christ. I knew a meeting between my father and Makho wouldn’t be nice and smooth. But I also didn’t anticipate his reaction. I have never talked to my father about sex before. So for him to ask me about it that straight up was weird and scary. And now I am scared for Makho. May the Gods protect him. As the elevator reaches the ground floor and opens, I suddenly wish I had the power to freeze time but God doesn’t love all his children.

“Chichi!” a squealing voice forces me to look up and I smile when I see Quinn. She is no time machine but at least she will delay us a bit with greetings and introductions.
“Hey babe.” We step out of the elevator and I hug her. “You’re looking suspiciously beautiful this morning. Where are you off to?”
“I am having brunch with my cousins but I forgot my car keys upstairs.” She looks behind me. “Hello.”
How I wished for him to disappear. “Quinn, this is my father, Mr. Gwendaline and dad this is Quinn, one of my friends.”

They shake hands. “Nice to meet you, young lady. I hope we can talk later on. Let’s not keep you waiting.” He smiles at Quinn and then pulls me to the front door. This man has no chill. He can’t wait to terrorize my man. We walk to the parking lot. Makho is already standing outside his car. I can see that he is contemplating on whether to come to us or not. “Is that him?” I nod. “Okay. Your journey ends here.”

Aibo! Why? “But dad…” he doesn’t say anything. He just gives me one glance and then walk towards Makho. They are not too far from where I am standing. So I hear Makho muttering a greeting. Dad doesn’t reply. He just looks at him from top to bottom and then gives him a mean slap that shocks me hard, I actually scream. What the fuck? What’s wrong with dad? I rush to them.

“So you’re the one who has been sleeping with my daughter without paying for her dowry?
Is this even legal? Dad is being so unreasonable and I am in disbelief of his actions.
“I am sorry, sir. I am willing to pay anything to make things right.” Makho responds. You never respond to these type of questions because these dinosaurs have a way of twisting your words.

“So you having money means you can restore my daughter's virginity by means of payment since 'you are willing to pay anything'? Is that what you’re saying?” my what now? See what I was saying? He is twisting Makho’s words and my baby can’t even apply his lawyering skills because dad will murder him.
“No, sir. That’s now what I was saying.”
“Then what were you implying?”

“Dad please.” I plead with him and he just gives me one look that is enough to humble me.
He turns to Makho. “Lead the way.” My man hurries to open the passenger door and dad slides in like a king. He then comes around to his door.
“I love you.” He whispers, flashing me a shy smile before climbing in.

This idiot still has the will to smile even after that slap. My man though. But if he survives this, he will get unlimited access to this pussy, I swear. I watch the car driving out and I finally head back inside.

MAKHOSONKE

I was playing SETE on repeat on my way here, so I just leave it on but lower the volume. I don’t wanna give this man more ammunition. I don’t even know how to start a conversation. My cheek is still burning from that slap. Honestly I don’t understand why I was slapped. It’s not like I found her sealed and stuff. But you have to suffer for true love, and that’s what’s happening. I’m suffering.

After a whole 10 minutes of suffering, I figure I should say something because the silence is not comfortable. Now how does one start a conversation with a man like this? What would Mazwakhe Gumbi say? As if he is sensing my misery, a call from him comes in.

“Somkhanda.” I answer with a smile.
“What fucked up shit have you gotten yourself into, son?” his voice beams all over the car.
I try stifling a chuckle. My old man can see right through me. “Nothing, dad. I’m just in the car with Chizoba's father and you’re on speaker.”
This guy actually breaks into laughter, not even caring about what I just said. “Ukushayile? (Did he hit you?)”

“That’s none of your business. See you later.”
He continues laughing. “Thule ubaba Chizoba ushaye indodana yakho. (Chizoba’s father hit your son.)”
“Umshaye kancane Uma esakwazi ukukhuluma. (He didn’t hit him enough if he still is able to talk.)” My mom responds. It’s official, my parents hate me.
“Goodbye Devil’s best friends.” They both laugh. I am never going to hear the end of this. I hang up.

“Are those your parents?” he asks and I nod with a smile.
“Yes. They are a bit unhinged but they are great parents.”
“Mmm. You don’t need to justify their craziness.” Okay Phela judge Judy. “So what is it that you do?”
“I am a lawyer.”

“You must’ve manipulated my daughter with your words because there was no way she could’ve fallen for an ugly fucker like you. Worse, you have dreads. Yoh!”. I have never been degraded like this in just one statement. I know he is supposed to be hard on me, but Yoh. I am someone’s child bathong. Tell him to have mercy on me. I don’t respond to his statement and he chuckles. “I thought lawyers are supposed to always have a come back, or are you one of those who bought their certificate?” People by LLB certificates? For real? I don’t think that’s possible. Not everyone is that phara guy from SUITS.

“We are here.” I am relieved as I park outside A-Class Restaurant. We make our way inside and we are led to a table I reserved an hour ago. We place our drinks' orders and they come back within 5 minutes.
“So what are your intentions with my daughter?” no small talks, I see. Straight to the point.
“I intend on marrying her as soon as possible. I know it hasn’t been that long since we started dating but I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her, legally.”
He frowns. “So you want my blessing?”
“That would mean a lot, sir.”

“But I don’t know you and I don’t trust anyone with my children. What if you break her heart like her ex fiancé or worse, break her bones? Maybe you have a temper  she doesn’t know about.”
“I am not going to paint myself as a good guy or anything. But one thing I will assure you with is my unconditional love for Chizoba. I love her more than my mother and my baby sister and I would die if something were to happen to her. I will protect her with my whole life or even hire guards to watch her when I am not around but I promise you, I will never harm your daughter in any way.”

“But words are just that, words. If I give you my blessing, I am putting my full trust in you. I am trusting you with my most unpriced possession. So if anything happens to her, that would mean you have broken her trust and mind. And since you are smart, you know trust is like a soul. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.” That’s a mouthful.

“I hear you, sir. And I will try to not disappoint you.”
He nods. “Now when is your family coming to pay dowry?”
“Next month.” That answer just came out of nowhere, but I know it won’t cause a dent in my wallet.
He grins. “We are in no rush. But it’s fine.”
Now that it seems like he won’t be hitting me anytime soon… “I would like to propose to Chizoba tomorrow.”

He frowns. “So soon?”
“There is no reason for any delays.”
“Mmm. But I have to punch you after this outing so that you will know what awaits you should you abuse my daughter.”

I thought we were bonding. Clearly I was wrong. Things we do for love.