CHAPTER 22

The morning after the mini house party, I clean up immediately after the last guest leaves. Last night got a bit out of control. From three people that Mathenji mentioned to almost 20 people. I only knew 5 of those people and they were all my colleagues. Bangi, Mathenji’s man, joined in on the fun around 1 am. I think he was coming from the grooves. But they provided their own meals which means I have more than enough left overs. We also drank and it was really fun to let loose. We also took last night as an opportunity to celebrate my new job. I won’t do a housewarming soon. I want to work for at least 2 months before officially inviting people into my apartment. The apartment is really mine. I was surprised to find a title deed with my name on it on one of the drawers. The Gumbis have been really good to me. I just hope I never disappoint them.

When I am done cleaning, I shower and then eat breakfast. After that, I sort out my new wardrobe. These people really helped me. Starting a new job in the middle of the month is never ideal because you don’t have money to upgrade your wardrobe since you wear different outfits every day.

Just as I am about to rest, my phone rings. It’s my other older sister, Udoamaka. That one hardly calls. She does, when she is delivering bad news. She is someone who doesn’t like fraternizing with the family. They label her as the black sheep. We don’t have a good relationship nor a bad one. I just acknowledge her as my sister who is older than me by 3 years.

“Hey, Udoa. How are you doing?”
“I am good, Chichi. How is life treating you? Heard you got a new job.”

She lives in Abuja where she is working as a receptionist at some company. She has a nice cozy flat in Jabi. She has an expensive taste and her company always provides her with fashion and beauty vouchers so that she can keep looking pretty since she is literally the face of the company. I once or twice heard about her having an affair with the company director who is in his late forties but we all know never to confront her about rumours because even if it is true, she will get mad that you are entertaining them.

“Yeah. I did send you a text because I didn’t reach you when I called.”
She chuckles. “Yeah, I lost my phone 2 weeks ago on a business trip. I bought a new one yesterday.”
“That makes sense.”
“Anyways, congratulations on your job.”
“Thank you very much.”

“I was actually at home for the weekend and imagine my surprise when drama visited us.” I sit back and prepare my ears. It’s not every day Udoa shares gossip, so when she does, you have to lend her an ear because it sure is going to be juicy.

“What happened?”
“Your friend came with her family. That woman is this close to popping. It turns out she and Chia have been dating for almost a year and a half. And our dear brother promised to marry her. That’s why she got pregnant. They are in love and he is supposed to take her as his second wife.”

“Now that’s new. I don’t remember my brother mentioning that the last time we spoke.”
“Chia is scared of his wife. Turns out this is not the first time he is cheating on her but because a baby was creating, Celine is even hinting about divorce. She is saying that the minute Chia marries your friend, she is out of this god forsaken marriage.” I laugh, really hard. Men will always be men. My brother was always troublesome and he had multiple girlfriends prior to his marriage. I thought he had changed but I guess a leopard never really changes its spots.

“So what happened to Shine? What did my brother say to her family?”
“He said he will take care of the child and her but that’s all. Their relationship is over.” That’s a lie.
“We all know he is going to continue being with Shine. Celine prohibited marriage not dating. She should’ve been specific.” She laughs.

“So besides the new job, what’s happening in your life? Any man interested in you?” that’s new. She never asks about my personal life, but I guess she is turning over a new leaf.