CHAPTER 66

I am literally sweating. I have been dreading this day for so long but it’s finally here. I am glad that Makho was against us all travelling in a family car because I don’t think that would’ve helped with my nerves. I am with Makho in the car while Zoe is driving with her husband and Malusi. He arrived this morning just for this trip. Authors make traveling in and out of the country look so cheap. I was shocked when Makho told me about Malusi's traveling costs. It’s too much. No wonder people working overseas hardly visit home. Mogotsi is also traveling with Wande. He is going to pay dowry for her in two months. Masande and Luncumo will be taking a flight from Western Cape. Makho booked a hotel for us not far from his grandmother’s house. There is a reunion and he knows that the house will be full and there won’t be enough rooms for us.

“Babe, are you hungry?” he asks as we enter another petrol station.
“I could use some sweets and a bathroom.” He parks the car and we both climb out. He holds my hand as we enter Pick n Pay express. This man is so clingy. I actually dug my grave with these bum shorts because he thinks people, especially men, are going to eat me alive. “There is actually Wimpy here. Can we order lunch?” I smile at him and he smiles back.

“Okay.” He perks my lips and let’s me go. I quickly head to restroom and relieve myself. When I come out, I find Zoe washing her hands.
“I didn’t see your car outside.” I say as I wash my hands. She is also dressed in shorts but hers are almost knee length.
“I am hungry so I told my husband we should stop and have lunch. The others also decided to join us.”
“I am nervous about meeting your mom.”

She chuckles and hooks her arm in mine as we walk out of the restroom. “She is not too rural or anything like that. She is super cool and down to earth. Kind of like me and I know she is going to love you. We also have to go to by the Gumbi household before we drive back to Joburg on Sunday afternoon. Just to see them.”
“That was not on the agenda.”
She laughs. “Better get on with the programme. When traveling with us, there are always spontaneous side trips which gets squeezed in.”

I shake my head. “That doesn’t sound like Judge Gumbi. He is supposed to be the most straight to the schedule person in the family.” She laughs.
“That Judge Gumbi shit ends in court. I am the supreme judge in this family.”
“I am not even going to add on that.” Mazwakhe startles us and Zoe just laughs.

“Good to know that you know there are some battles you will never win.” She sits on his lap and they share a kiss.
“Eww.” Malusi looks disgusted which causes everyone in the table to laugh. I sit next to Makho and he places his hand between my thighs. I look at him and he smirks. This dude. Two waiters bring a lot of food in our table and we start eating. “How are your students treating you? I saw a video on TikTok. They listed reasons why they love you.” He is looking at me. I frown. A video? Why didn’t I see that?

“I didn’t know there was a video.” He takes out his phone, taps on it for a few moments before handing it to me.

It’s the students from 10B and a few from other classes. The video is captioned “Why We Love Miss Gwendaline!”

1st student: “she is a fashion icon and I love her walk.” I giggle. I don’t think much about my dress code. I just decide on what to wear that particular morning and roll with it.

2nd student: “she is polite, open and lovable.” Aww. 

3rd student: “she drives a beautiful car and she smells nice.” I chortle. That’s unexpected. Makho chuckles.

Mesuli: “She is very loving, patient, caring, understanding and the best teacher I have ever met.”

“WE LOVE YOU, MISS GWENDALINE AND THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING US!” They all say before blowing kisses. My God, this makes me emotional. I hand the phone back to Malusi and look down. Makho places his arm on my shoulder and brings me closer to him.

“Take your time. Nobody is watching.” He whispers in my ear and I snort.

We get to the hotel, check in, freshen up and I change  into a floral maxi dress and sandals. Mathenji said I shouldn’t wear a doek because a girlfriend isn’t supposed to wear a doek unless she has been paid dowry for. Yeah, I know. Zulu culture can be complicated. We all drive to the Ncube household and we get there by 5pm. Makho tells me to wait in the car while they go inside.

I check on that video made by my students just to pass time. The comments are so sweet. I save it and repost it on my TikTok account, Instagram and WhatsApp story. I am still overwhelmed by this shout out. Some students have a way of making teachers feel so special. All special teachers need to feel this feeling at least once in their career. A call from Celine comes in. I really forgot about her, not in that way but my life has been so busy. As an adult, you sometimes forget about other people because your own life can be so overwhelming and stressful.

“Celine, how are you?”
“I am fine, Chizoba. I just came back from that vacation and it helped me very much. I also met a life coach and he gave me a lot of advice and guidance on how to move on from this current situation I am facing.”
“That’s good to hear, doll. Do I need to know what the guy said?” she laughs.

“Well he said a lot about self introspection. He also said I should be selfish and put myself first. I should also make my children understand our current situation and not lock them in the dark. They deserve to know what is happening.”
“That’s great advice. So what have you decided?” I know I am being nosy but I deserve to know.

“Leaving him was always part of the plan. Moving forward was going to be a bit hard but now I know where to start. Separation can never be easy but knowing where to go from here is the key.” That’s very mature of her. Getting over an ex is never easy. It’s worse when people expect you to just move on and be happy afterwards. It’s crazy.

“I am proud of you, sis. You should come and visit me soon. Maybe we can go to the club and turn up.”
She laughs. “You and turning up? What have those South Africans done to you?”
I also laugh. Partying has never been my thing but I  not closed off to the chance of going out. “My man is the out going type, so I will adjust when he wants us to go out.”

“He is so hot by the way. That picture you shared of him in court, dear God. I can’t believe you get to see that every day and actually fuck it regularly.”
I break into laughter. Celine has never been the vocal type. I guess the vacation really helped. I see Makho walking towards the car and I know I have to conclude the call. “We will talk later. I have to go.”

“Bye Chichi.” I hang up just as Makho opens my door.
“Come baby.” I climb off the car and take his hand. He leads me to this bigger house in the yard. The door is already open, so we get inside. In the lounge, we find an elderly couple, Zoe and Wande. Mogotsi stayed behind. They didn’t want to overwhelm the gogo so much in one evening. “Gogo no mkhulu, this is the woman I have decided to spend the rest of my life with. She is special, amazing and the perfect life partner for me. Her name is Chizoba Gwendaline and she is from Nigeria.” All this is said while we are standing. “Chizoba, this is maternal grandmother and grandfather.”

“Hello.” I greet and they both respond.
“You are really beautiful, MaGwendaline. I love your skin tone. Come here.” His grandma gestured that I come closer to her. I look at Makho and he nods with a smile. I walk closer to the woman and kneel in front of her. She brushes my cheek. “My grandson chose well. I wish I can witness your wedding before I leave this world. Umlobola Nini? (When are you paying dowry for her?)” that last statement is directed to Makho who just laughs.

“I will make sure to consider you in my plans.” He responds with a wide smile.
“Welcome to the family, makoti. Don’t abandon us when they make you one of them, the Gumbis.” His grandfather states. He has a deep scratchy voice.

“Thank you for the warm welcome.”
“Sit here.” His grandma pats on the sit next to her. “Zokuthula, space.” She shooshes Zoe and I am literally holding in my laughter. I think the woman is as Savage as her daughter. I sit next to her and she starts interrogating me about anything and everything.