CHAPTER 53

I try his phone for the 10th time and it goes to voicemail. I don’t know why people bother calling a person more than two times when their phone is off. Maybe it’s the hope that there will be a coincidence that he opens his phone and bump into your call. Fuck this. And Joseph is not even worth it. I feel so guilty that my relationship might end for someone so irrelevant. I sigh and start dishing up lunch for everyone because they are going to be home in no time. When I am done, I cover their plates on the counter and walk to the room I share with Nneka. When she sees me walking in, she blushes and walks away. It’s only when she passes near me that I notice she is talking to someone on the phone. I sit on the bed and dial Zoe’s number.

“Hello dear.” She greets cheerfully.
“Hey Zoe. I am sorry to trouble you but have you heard from Makho today?”
“No. I last spoke to him yesterday after lunch. Why? What’s going on, Chichi?”

I might as well tell her what’s going on. After all, she is my friend. “I had lunch with an ex-fiancé because I wanted closure and Makho called while I was sitting with him. I tried to reassure him that nothing is going on between us. It’s just that Joseph cheated on me while we were engaged and never really gave me his reason or remorse. I am not trying to defend myself but I hope you get me.”

Zoe chuckles. “I am your friend before I am your future mother-in-law and I am compelled to listen to you and give you some sound advice. Eating out with an ex is never good. You might have come with the intention of closure but maybe he expected a different outcome form your meeting. I have dined with an ex before and the act was purely innocent but Mazwakhe went crazy and didn’t speak to me for 48 hours straight. Men’s egos bruise easily, Chichi and men like my son love hard. So when you do something like this, unexpected, it feels like you are betraying him, his love and the love you share. Anyways what did ex say?”

“You’re right. He had hope that I would somehow get back to him. He is delusional.”
“Wait for Makhosonke. He is probably out somewhere sulking. He will contact you soon when he has calmed down or maybe allow you to contact him.”
I nod. “I will get a flight ticket for tomorrow night. I don’t have time to baby a cheating brother. Look now, it is jeopardizing my relationship.”
Zoe cracks up. “I need to thank you for this though. If it were under different circumstances, I would’ve sent a kiss to Joseph. Men out there need to know that they are irreplaceable.”

“You’re evil.” She laughs harder. “You are actually rejoicing in your son’s misery. The kind of mother you are. You and Mrs. Gwendaline are birds of the same feathers.”
“Ow come on. Right now, I am talking to you as a friend, not Makhosonke’s mother. Besides, I would not blame you or Luncumo should you decide to burn my sons for their infidelity.”

“You’re the coolest.” She laughs.
“I know.” We conclude our call and she even informs me that some young author by the name of Cathrine Phiri is having a book launch for her latest book, Married at 16 and she has RSVP’d for us. You can never separate Zoe with books.

“I will start cooking dinner now.” Nneka informs me from the door. “When you’re done going through a lot, you can join me. We can have wine.”
I chuckle, shaking my head. “We need to be sober minded for the upcoming meeting, but we can drink afterwards, and maybe even spend the night at Eze’s mansion.”

She grins. “That sounds like a plan. I will inform Udoa and maybe we will take Akose.” I don’t know if dad will agree, but we will just say we are having a girls’ night out and even invite Celine. She will need some cheering up after the meeting. 
“Also, I am heading back to South Africa tomorrow evening.” She nods in understanding.
“Book tickets for the both of us using my card. There was really no reason for us to come here, well except for seeing the family before Christmas.”

I nod and take her laptop. I quickly book our tickets and then walk to my storage box which is filled with my books. Honestly, I feel like my life is in South Africa. So, even if I end up married with Makho, my life will be rooted in SA. So I have to ship my books there. I will just take them to Udoa’s house and ask them to bring them if she happens to travel to SA in her man’s jet. I take out one of the books and sit on my bean bag, indulging in the paperback.

“We have all gathered here today to come up with the solution to problems the young couple are currently facing. Both parties have wronged each other dearly and we wish for a way forward, a real solution that will not lead to the dissolution of this union. If anyone wishes to speak, please don’t raise your voice high or curse at anyone. We are all adults here. There is no need for someone to be disrespectful.” Mr. Oyetoro, who is Celine’s uncle, her father’s younger brother, states. He is the voice of reason in the Oyetoro family and he is the only one who is neutral.

“The mistakes are not the same. Your daughter nearly killed my son.” My mother starts off and I scoff inwardly. This meeting is about the way forward and not dwelling on the past and yet she is bringing up the incident. But I am not surprised. This is my mother after all. “As a family, we can’t just forget about that and move on. It won’t be that easy.”

“And as the Oyetoro family, we can’t just simply forget and your son’s infidelity. He went out of his marriage, cheated on my sister and came back with a child. Is that acceptable? My sister is no barren. She has proved to the family that she can bear children, both male and female. So no one can blame her for her husband’s transgressions. Also, she is not to be blamed for burning him. She asked for space and he agreed. Why did he come and crowd her? You think forgiving a cheating partner can be timed? You think that a week or two is enough? If the roles were reversed and it was Celine who came back with another man’s child, you would’ve chased her out like a dog. So why should she forgive this bastard?” Aimo’s voice is so strong and almost commanding. She is Celine’s older sister and I last saw her at Celine’s wedding. She is the Nigerian Army General and she is tough as fuck. I am sure everyone in this room is intimidated by her. The whole room goes silent. I glance at my father and he is just sitting at his chair unbothered. You can see that he can’t wait for everyone to leave. I know I have to say something soon to clear up this awkwardness and tension.

Nneka clears her throat. “We were not here for the first nor the second meeting but we heard all that was said and done. As Chia’s siblings, we won’t accept and welcome his baby mama with open arms. The child is innocent and it has our blood running in its veins, that’s if it is really his child, so we won’t neglect it. But should he decide to go ahead and marry the baby mama, we won’t take part in any of it. Our loyalty is with you, Celine and we are sorry that we didn’t check on you soon. As women, it is very important that we stick together in times of need and sorrow, right mother?” her eyes travel to mom who mutters something inaudible. Chia looks defeated.

I clear my throat and everyone turns to look at me. “I would like for both the couple to be given a chance to speak because this is the only chance they will get to speak on common ground.”

“I will start.” My brother speaks up. His eyes travel to Celine. “I am sorry for my actions. I deeply regret them and I now understand how much they hurt you. I may have appeared like a jerk or selfish bastard but the truth of the matter is that I love you, Celine. I didn’t marry you because I felt like it. I fell in love with you a long time ago and I continue to fall for you day by day. The reason I cheated was that I was weak and an idiot. I am the only one to be blamed for my transgressions. I know what I am asking is impossible, but can you please find it in your heart to forgive me and welcome me back into our home? I won’t rush you this time around. I have realized my mistake. I will give you as much time as you need, even a year.” He sounds so remorseful but I am not convinced. I know that as much as I love Makho, I would never take him back if he ever cheated on me because what will stop him from cheating again?

“And what happens if she wants to divorce you?” Aimo asks.
“That is not an option and it will bring shame into our family name. We don’t need that kind of shame.” Mrs. Oyetoro speaks up. Tjo. Shame? We are the ones who should be ashamed that our brother couldn’t keep it in his pants. This woman is poison, just like my mother. I wonder how Celine keeps up with her.

“As much as I still love Chiagozie, I can’t forgive him and just forget about what he has done. I know that my next words might get me disowned by my family but I am going away for 2 weeks and when I come back, I will be filing for divorce. A leopard never changes its stripes and I don’t wanna be bitten twice. This is for my sanity.” Celine finally states calmly. Her words are follow by utter silence that you can hear a needle dropping and then there is mayhem and chaos.