CHAPTER 58

MAKHOSONKE GUMBI

“Let’s take a walk.” My father states looking at Mogotsi. They both stand up and I follow them towards the garden. I see my uncle and Masande right behind me. “You guys are like women. You love news.” He says staring at us and we just laugh. He stops when we are at a safe distance from the women and I quickly settle on the concrete bench, folding my legs and stare at Mogotsi. I am not comfortable with his relationship with my sister.

“I am not comfortable about you being 7 years older than Mawande.” My uncle starts off. “You seem like a nice guy but sometimes looks can be deceiving.” My uncle is like our second father. I remember when we were younger. Whenever he would find our father disciplining us, he would jump right in and assist him, and only ask what we did after delivering the punishment. “But your age means you are also mature and reasonable, or am I lying?”

“Yes sir. You’re right. I can say I am mature and reasonable.” Mogotsi responds.
“You guys have been dating for two years.” Dad states matter-of-factly. “How did you feel about not having freedom to show her affection in public? I know how my daughter likes to keep her private life private. She treats herself like Beyoncé.” The last statement is a joke but Mogotsi doesn’t dare laugh.

“At first I thought this was her way of keeping me her dirty little secret. I don’t wanna lie. During the first month of our relationship I was really annoyed by her not wanting us to dine out in public or even sleep in hotels. Then one day she told me that she doesn’t like to be famous for anything else other than her talent and work. She wants to be known for that and not just another rich guy’s girlfriend. I understood her and so I tried to make the relationship work in her terms. That’s when I started closing restaurants down on one nights just because I wanted to eat with her or even go to a secluded hotel or a very expensive resort just so I can make sure nobody can recognize her or even go crazy on her. She also emphasized her love for her family and didn’t want them finding out about us on some tabloids. She really loves you guys, especially you Mr. Gumbi.” He looks at my dad. “I get jealous of the relationship you have with your daughter and most of the time I pray that I get to have a relationship like that with my daughter. You know one day I had planned for us to go to Netherlands and a few hours before our flight she was like ‘daddy needs me, so I am out’.” he imitates Wande’s voice and we laugh while dad chuckles. “I was so defeated. I was like ‘but love we planned this trip and we have known about for weeks.’ Her response was ‘now I should bail out on the man that brought me on this earth for you?’” dad cracks up. “I swear my jealousy went overboard that minute and when she gave me puppy eyes, all was forgotten.”

“Women will be our undoing, I swear.” Masande adds and we all laugh.
“And we have no choice to accept you or else we are taking the couches tonight.” My uncle chirps in. I guess these women have us wrapped around their little fingers and they don’t even realize it.

“My daughter is really young, Mogotsi. She is 22 years old. But hearing you mention hotels means you guys are sexually active. I know you are planning on making her yours for good. This is very difficult for me, but when are you marrying her?”
“She turned down my proposal last year. She said she will only say yes when you think the time is right. So I guess you hold the cards of the future of our relationship. You are more like the first wife. Your approval is the key.” – Mogotsi.

“And what happens if I say no?” dad’s question goes unanswered. He chuckles shaking his head. “I guess denying you your request would be selfish of me because I married her mother she was 20 years old and by that time she was already pregnant with our first child. I am a very good judge of character, pun intended. But you know how our judgement gets clouded when our families are involved. My children are my biggest achievement and I love them all shamelessly. I am not just saying this to scare you or anything. I am warning you, no I am promising you. I made Mawande a promise when I first held her. I told her that I will be the big bad wolf that chases every monster, those coming from the sky, the window and under her bed. That I would burn alive any man who abuses her emotionally, physically and sexually. I intend to keep my word. I don’t care about prison. My son would make sure I escape justice.” My uncle laughs. God, how can he laugh while dad issues such a threat?

“Let’s go eat desert. I bet you all she prepared a peppermint cake.” my uncle teases as he hooks his arm over Mogotsi’s shoulder and together they walk back to the terrace. We follow them. I also know that my sister prepared peppermint cake. That’s her favourite cake in the whole world and she doesn’t care if there is someone who doesn’t like it. I sit next to Chizoba and kiss her cheek. She blushes and looks at her plate.

“Please feed me.” I see her eyes popping out before I hear laughter from the whole family. “Hey, don’t judge me. I also want love and affection and attention.”
“How about when we are not there because now you’re putting her in the spotlight?” Sinethemba comments.

“Hhay, my son is right. We do want attention. Please feed me my wife of 30 plus years.” Dad pouts looking at mom who just laugh at him.
“Come here wena daddy. I will feed you.” Mawande chirps in and Masande and I make a gagging sound. “Jealousy will make you nasty brothers. In any case, if you have any problems, go and ask for milk from mom’s boobs.” And the opinionated Mawande is back.

“It was better when you were still walking on eggshells. Now you’re back to being annoying.” I comment and she rolls her eyes at me.
“Next time I won’t help you with your woman’s shopping, I swear.” She responds.
“Hawu. Why are you being a sell out?” she sticks her tongue out at me before laying her head on dad’s shoulder who in turn kisses her head. She is daddy’s little girl, yoh. I hope Chizoba is not like this with her father because if so, then I have a lot of groveling to do.

We eat our desert in a lighter environment. I catch Mogotsi and Mawande sharing a small smile and I can actually understand how he feels. Women have this power of arriving in your life and turning it upside down. When we are done, the women help Mawande collect the dishes and they head to the kitchen. I know they wanna gossip because what they are doing could’ve been done by the helpers. We head to the front porch. I stand next to Mogotsi.

“I understand how you feel about my sister. My woman and I have been dating for less than two months but the moment I first really met her, I just knew I had to make her mine. She actually punched me and that punch made me really see her.” I state and he laughs.

“I don’t know if this will gross you out or anything but before Mawande found out about my daughter, she caught me saying ‘baby’ and ‘I love you’ while talking on the phone. She didn’t say anything but as we were about to do the deed, she just grabbed my dick and twisted it hard, and I honestly thought it was going to fall off. I have never cried in my before but that day I allowed myself to be vulnerable while telling her the whole story about my daughter and asking her to call back the number I last contacted.” I break into laughter. Ohh Mawande is lethal and evil.

“Babe, can I have the keys? I wanna take my jacket from the car.” I hear Chizoba speaking behind me. I hand her the keys and she descends the stairs. Mawande comes and stand between Mogotsi and I.
“I hope you are making Mogotsi as comfortable as I have made Chichi.” She starts off and I chuckle.
“You didn’t need to make her comfortable because mom took care of that.” she rolls her eyes and turn to Mogotsi with a smile.
“I guess I will see you soon.” he nods. They share a hug and he bids us farewell before heading to his car.

He drives out and he pauses to check on the upcoming cars before joining the street. As he does so, an SUV comes out of nowhere and hits his sports car hard it crashes with Mawande’s fence. The SUV drives away in a fast speed. I hear Mawande screaming before she kicks her heels away and runs down the stairs. We are all still too shocked to move. After her, Chizoba follows with the car.

“MOGOTSI!” I see them struggling to take him out of the car but a few moments later, they place him on the backseat of my car before Chizoba drives off in high speed.
“What the fuck just happened?” Sinethemba asks. I have never seen an accident happening so fast. Like I blinked for a millisecond and just like that, it occurred.
“We have to follow them. now.” Mom states already rushing to dad’s car. I follow them because I currently have no car. Was this a premeditated hit and run? I am so confused right now. I can’t even think straight.