CHAPTER 68

“Wait for it.” I hear the shower running and she smiles. “Your father thinks I don’t know him. I know she is a natural born eavesdropper.” I giggle. I don’t know my father like that. “Now tell me, who is he?”
I frown. “Who is who, ma?”

“Child, I was not born yesterday. I know how to spot a woman in a happy relationship, especially when that woman is my child. I did see how you were when you came home but I didn’t want to comment too much because my focus was still on Chia. Now this weekend is all about you. So spill? Who is he?” I guess there is no use avoiding the inevitable.

“His name is MA-KHO-SO-NKE Gumbi but I call him Makho because his name is complicated. He is a lawyer and he is rich.” She smiles. I know the rich part was going to entice her. My mother loves money, but then who doesn’t?

“Wait. Is he also an old man like Udoa's man?” ow come on. Eze is not that old.
“Mom!”
“Don’t give me that look. I know most of you youngsters prefer them old with beards and heavy pockets. I don’t know why but it’s not my problem. So continue.” Who is this and what has she done to my mother?

“He is 30 years old. His parents are the ones that gave me this apartment but before we started dating. His mother and I share the same obsession, which is books. So we met, hit it off and all.”
“So when am I meeting this Makhosonke guy and how far is your relationship? Meeting parents, well that’s huge, even though it happened prematurely.”

“You can meet him whenever you like. I met his maternal and paternal grandparents two weeks back and most of his family members from both sides, so I guess the relationship is pretty serious.”

She nods. “That’s what I want, my baby. You may think that I am being too hard or harsh on you but there is nothing I want more than to see you happy. Giving birth to a girl can be a nightmare. You don’t want anyone hurting her or taking advantage of her but you also want her to receive and experience genuine love and connection. I know that you have a good job now and a better life but you know it’s not really complete unless there is someone to warm your bed or comfort you on dark days because we all have those dark days when we feel like nothing is going right. I am worried about Nneka though, but I guess I will have to go to whichever hole she has hidden herself in to find out how she is doing.” This woman is really an imposter in my mother’s body. But wait till she finds out she has a Chinese son in law.

“You can meet Makho even now. I am sure dad will want to take a nap.”
She smiles. “Tell him I will be ready in 20 minutes.” She takes her toiletry bag and head to the bathroom. Please don’t tell me my parents are about to have shower sex in my bathroom. That’s traumatizing.

“Mom wants to see you in 20 minutes.”
I send him the text and he calls back almost immediately.
“What? Why?” that’s the first thing he says as I answer.
“What do you mean why? You were going to meet with them this weekend. She just happened to want to meet sooner because we were just talking about you.”

“So, you were talking about me?” there is the arrogant man I fell for.
“Yeah. Pick a spot and we will meet you there in less than half an hour.”
“The pressure you like to put me under. But it’s fine. What does your mom like eating?”

“Nothing fancy but nothing to heavy since she ate a few moments ago. Something like Page Heaven maybe but not really because I wanna know what you guys are talking about without being distracted by the smell of books.” He laughs.
“Okay love. I will see what I can do about it.”

We end the call and I rush back to the bedroom. Glad to hear the shower still running. I change into a red summer dress and sandals. I also take my bag and walk to where the kids are at.