CHAPTER 5

I get ready for the book discussion. It’s a book club thing which I am in. we usually meet maybe once a month if we are not too busy, first we inform each other of a book we wish to discuss and read it, and then come to the book club to discuss and actually review it as a collective. Some members always invite other people in these discussions and they are usually held at Phathane’s guest lounge.

I request an Uber there and when I arrive, I head inside to find most of the members already present. We exchange greetings and settle down. Mihlomhle, who is one of the founders of the book club, has brought a friend, Zokuthula Gumbi, who sits next to me. She is a very beautiful woman who looks like she is in her late thirties or early forties. She looks sophisticated and commands respect.

“So the book was The Maiden & The Bear by Ayanda Xaba. The book is about a maiden named Ntombi who is madly in love with a village champion. They were like betrothed at a young age. What were your highlights about it?” Lihlumelo asks, looking at me.

“You know how I am such a sucker for South African books, especially those that focuses on one’s culture. However, Ntombi’s naivety was truly infuriating. I just wished to get inside the novel and slap some sense into her. Sometimes culture is too backwards and it oppresses the female gender. I am not about to dwell on gender equality but I am glad she got to have a bit of fun in varsity. She deserved it.” I answer honestly.

“For me, it was all over the place. It was hard to follow the storyline and I don’t think the author gave her best.” Mihlomhle states and I see a few nods.

“It’s chaotic, but that’s how life in the rural areas was back then, chaotic and too hard to like follow. I hate the abuse and cheating part. I have been married for 24 years and I can attest that I am happily married. My husband and I always argue about the little things like him leaving his clothes lying around or him not remembering to take out the trash. He has never been abusive or cheated. So I hated the story but I loved the book.” Zokuthula remarks and everyone laughs. “At some point, I threw it away, frustrated by Ntombi’s actions. I was like ‘girl what the fuck are you doing?’ But my husband brought it back and said ‘I know you are going to regret this’.” we continue laughing. This is cute actually.

The others also review the book, then we discuss it, outlining some of the events but we don’t criticize the author’s writing method. We take a break, having some snacks before discussing the second book.

“I am a very observant person and I don’t mean to come off as offensive or intrusive, but I picked up an accent from your voice. Are you from Zimbabwe or Nigeria?” Zokuthula asks looking at me with a gorgeous smile. Honestly this woman is too beautiful. No wonder her husband has never cheated on her. How can you cheat on a supermodel? Like what exactly do you want in life?

“I am not offended, Mrs. Gumbi. I am actually from Nigeria, in a small town called Nsukka in Enugu.”

“Your town is the home of the University of Nigeria, right?” I nod. “And please, call me Zokuthula or Zoe.”

“And you can call me Chizoba or Chichi.” She smiles widely.

“So what do you do besides reading?”

“I work as a cleaner at Checkers but I am actually a qualified Biology teacher.”

“That’s awesome. I pray that you find the job you studied for one day.”