CHAPTER 57

“I have a bad feeling about this.” Zoe murmurs as we climb the stairs leading to Mawande’s front door. I chuckle.

It feels great to be the only one who knows what is happening here. From what I have gathered, Mawande doesn’t invite her family over for dinner. She has never done so in the past. Every time she has something to announce, she just calls everyone to the Gumbi household. So I understand why Zoe is uneasy. Makho on the other side, is super chilled. He thinks his sister is going to announce something about her getting a role on TV show overseas or something like that. Well they are all in in for the surprise of their lives.

“Is there something you know that I don’t know?” she asks and I laugh.
“Girl, come on. Your daughter has been wanting us to meet up for some time now but the girl is so busy. So we haven’t had a chilled sit down.” Well except for the time when she came to my apartment to tell me all about her man. But Zoe doesn’t need to know about that, at least not for now.

She groans. “You’re useless.” She opens the door and walks inside, leaving me laughing at the entrance. She reminds me of Mathenji when I have no gossip for her.
“Why are you standing at the door?” Makho asks as he stops in front of me with his father beside me.
“I was waiting for you. Zoe left me.” I answer honestly and he smiles.
“Let’s go then, my love.” we step inside the house and I must say, I am amazed by its beauty.

The lobby and the furniture near the walls is strictly white and gray. There is a huge portrait of Mawande on the wall looking like a goddess, and not far from it is another with her parents and then another with her siblings. We move to the lounge which is also white and gray. I honestly would love to have a house like this. On the far end of the lounge, there is a white piano and a guitar leaning on it. I have seen a video of her playing a guitar once. It was taken when she was visiting some orphanage and she chose to sing for the kids. They were very pleased by her performance. She has an amazing voice. This girl is multi-talented.

“Hello everyone.” Mawande appears from the kitchen wearing white and gold high rise pants, a Versace Greca border sports bra and white point toe stiletto court heels. This woman always understands the assignment. Even when she is playing hostess, she dresses the part. She hugs everyone and hugs me at last. “Thank you for coming.” She whispers in my ear.

“Can’t wait for the drama to unfold.” I mumble and she chuckles nervously.
“You’re increasing my anxiety.” She whispers back and I mumble a ‘sorry’. “Come this side.” She announces to everyone and leads us to the backyard. She has a nice terrace that almost reaches her glowing pool. We find Masande, Luncumo, Sinethemba and her parents already waiting for us at the table. This is huge. We exchange hugs and greetings. We settle down and our hostess disappears inside the house. A few moments later, helpers come with starter platters.

“Wande has outdone herself. She has grown.” Mrs. Ncube states and Zoe nods in agreement. I wonder how they are going to feel once they know the real reason why they are here.

MAWANDE GUMBI

I pace back and forth on the front door contemplating on whether I should let him in or not. Now I really wish I had told my father about the whole meeting. Maybe I wouldn’t be this nervous. Now it’s going to be a surprise to everyone. I am not even looking forward to the disappointed glances I will get from everyone. The doorbell rings again and I know I can’t keep him outside for longer. He is going to sense that something is off. I force my body to stop shaking and then open the door.

There he is. The one who managed to steal my heart within a month. Honestly I never thought our relationship was going to last but Mogotsi had faith in us from the beginning. Whenever I am with him, I feel free and alive. I know I am young but I see a future with him and I really want to become his wife. I know that he will allow me to pursue my career further even after we have tied the knot because he is my number one supporter and cheerleader.

“I take it everyone has arrived.” He starts off and I nod. He takes hold of my hand and brings it to his mouth to kiss it. “Don’t worry. Everything is going to be okay. Now let’s do this thing.” I take a deep breath and then allow him to step inside.
“Everyone is at the terrace.”
“There is that beautiful voice of the woman I fell in love with.” My God. How can I not blush when he says things like that? I just smile and lead him to the terrace. He is carrying a huge gift bag and I wonder what’s inside.

“Wait here.” I mumble as we are about to reach the back door and he nods in understanding. I go to the terrace and find everyone indulging on the starters. My eyes immediately locate my dad who raises his eyebrow at me in question. Damn, this man knows me well.
“We were about to complain about a disappearing hostess.” He teases and I chuckle nervously. After this, he would wish I disappear for real.

Well, here goes nothing. “There is a reason why I invited everyone here for dinner. There is someone who is very special to me and it would mean so much to me if you guys were to welcome that person into our family. I know this is an ambush and I apologize in advance. Please forgive me and I love you all. Try to be accommodative.” I give them my most innocent smile and then turn back before either of them say anything.

“I knew it.” I hear my mother as I walk away. Dear God, please don’t forsake me in this time of need. I take Mogotsi by the hand and lead him to where everybody is at. I stand at the end of the table and clear my throat.

“Mom, dad and family, this is Mogotsi Moagi and he is, well we are dating. Have been for a while now.” I drop the bombshell and everyone goes silent. I look at my father who has a stoic mask on his face. Fuck, I have only seen that mask in court, not around me and it breaks my heart.
“Welcome to the family, Mogotsi.” Mom is the first one to stand up and shake Mogotsi’s hand.

“Thank you so much, ma’am. You are more beautiful in person. Pictures do you no justice.” Mogotsi replies and mom smiles genuinely. “Good evening everyone.” He greets and a few respond. I know my and uncle probably wanna skin him alive. He starts dishing out gifts. Flowers for the other ladies and a book for my mother. Then he hands the men small gift boxes. I hope they don’t take it the wrong way. “I figured it would be rude of me to come empty handed. I hope the gifts don’t rub anyone off the wrong way.” He speaks graciously without any fear or anxiety, or maybe he is just hiding it well.

“Sit down.” My father states and it’s only then I realize he was waiting for permission to sit. He sits down on the vacant chair between Chizoba and Sne. My chair is on the other side of the table between my parents, where I always sit. I quickly go sit and then drink a glass full of water in one go.

“Calm down, my love. You know how you get when you start coughing.” Mogotsi states and I suddenly feel like that’s inappropriate, even though my whole family know my problem with coughing. I look at Masande and give him puppy eyes. He knows he has to somehow break the ice. He sighs and looks at Mogotsi.
“I think my sister has told you everything you need to know about us.” he starts off and Mogotsi nods. “Please tell us about yourself.”

“I am 30 years old and I am an entrepreneur. I live in East Rand and I have a four year old daughter whose mother passed on while giving birth to her. I have been dating Mawande for two years but she has met my daughter less than 5 times because I didn’t want her to think she is compelled to be a mother figure to my daughter. She may resume that role if she likes after we get married, but for now I don’t wanna put my baggage on her shoulders. My family lives in Mafikeng and that’s where my daughter also resides.” He replies and Masande nods.

“You’re saying entrepreneur like you’re some start-up business owner.” Makhosonke accuses and I want to punch him.
“I am wealthy and that’s not a secret but I know you don’t care about that. You care about the safety, wellbeing and happiness of your sister and I respect that very much. Even if I had trillions in my account, that wouldn’t matter if I treated Mawande like trash.”

“The young man is courageous.” My aunt states and I can hear amusement in her tone. “Ow won’t you stop looking at the child like you wanna eat him alive. Grill him or whatever but at the end of the day, you will have to accept him like it or not because we don’t want an unhappy Wande in our lives.” She gives my father and her husband an accusing look.
“What attracted you to my daughter?” my father asks.

Mogotsi chuckles, seeming to be thinking of an inside joke. “When I first saw her, like really see her, she was wearing a white pantsuit. She was arguing with some guy which I later leant was her agent. I was on my way to a meeting but I just stopped on the pavement and stared at her. She continued walking and shouting at the guy and then she came to an abrupt stop when her eyes landed on a homeless woman who was cradling a baby in her arms. She bent down and started talking to the woman. I didn’t hear what she was saying but from the smile on her face, I knew it was something good and comforting. She then helped the woman stand up and led them to a car. I never spoke to her on that day and I never told her about it until today. Her genuine kind heart is what attracted me to her. I didn’t even know who she was before that day.” My heart somersaults. And here I thought meeting him at a bakery month later was pure coincidence. I look at my father and he senses me. He turns to stare at me and I reach out to hold his hand. He sighs and turns to Mogotsi.

“Mawande is my first daughter and she is my first love. Year after year, I have treated her mother with nothing but respect and I have loved her every day since I met her. I have never raised a hand on my wife or insulted her. This is because of the love I have for her but also because I wanted to show my children how a man treats a woman, how my sons should treat their wives and how my daughter should be treated. She is my pride and joy. If you ever harm a single hear on her head, I will look for you, I will find you and I will give you the most painful death you can imagine.” He finishes off and I am sure everyone in the table can feel the intensity of his threat.

Mogotsi nods. “Thank you, sir. I will never disappoint you.” I have hope. I hope that this means my father will give my man a chance. I know he won’t accept him overnight.