CHAPTER 28

“This is really nice. Where did you learn to cook like this?” I ask Abaeze and he chuckles. Somehow, my sister and I ended up forcing two grown men to cook a three course meal for us. Makhosonke made the starters and dessert while Eze made the main course. They made chilli chicken livers, grilled meat with pap and salads and then a truffle.

He sits back. “I may be a very busy man but I am hands-on when it comes to all my relationships. I don’t like talking ill about my late wife but I was more present than she was. I guess she didn’t expect that when we got together. She thought she was just going to be a spoiled wife with an absent husband. I cooked every chance I got or whenever one of my kids requested it.” He answers and I nod. 

“I don’t mean to pry…” I start off and he laughs. 

“Please do.” I chuckle. Sounds like a guy who has nothing to hide. 

“What happened between you and your wife? What was the cause of you asking my sister out knowing very well that you were married? I am not trying to be difficult but these are the type of questions my father will ask if you guys get a one on one sit down.” He nods. 

“I understand. I am a very clingy lover. Maka can attest to that.” Udoa chortles. 

“You have also taught her how to be clingy.” I point at my sister who is sitting at her fiancé’s lap. We all laugh. 

“I love affection and attention and I do reciprocate the same feelings. I did the same with my late wife and sometimes it would get ‘too much’ for her. She would leave for a weekend if I loved her too much. She did this a couple of times until one of my associates said he saw her flirting with some man. I didn’t confront her but I did my own research and what I discovered shocked me to the core. She wasn’t hooking up or having an affair with one man. It was a different man every time. That killed me. I don’t wanna lie. But I didn’t divorce her and I didn’t even confront her. So I pretended all was well. And then this particular day, I saw this awfully dressed but really beautiful girl. I didn’t wanna jump her from the get go. So when I heard she was hired at my company, I knew fate brought us closer.” That’s so cute. 

“You dare talk about my graduation dress one more time, I will castrate you.” Udoa threatens and we all laugh. 

“I feel so left out. Is there a picture of the famous dress?” Makhosonke asks and I quickly page my phone, showing him the dress. He makes eye contact with Udoa. “It’s a really nice dress. I love satin.” 

“No you didn’t.” I crack up and Udoa just rolls her eyes. 

“How about you guys?” Eze asks. “What’s your story? How did you meet? And Makhosonke, you have to tell it because I know how woman like to exaggerate when narrating some stories.” I chuckle, eyeing Makho and he just laughs. 

“I was really rude to her the first few times we met. I insulted her. I was with my ex that time. The next time we met, my ex was unnecessarily rude to her and I wanted to apologize to her, so I followed her to the parking lot but guys, when she turned, I was blown away. I was speechless. I was dumbstruck. I ended up saying the opposite of what I wanted to say and earned myself a slap.” Both Udoa and Eze laugh. 

“You’re lying.” I interject and he just laughs. 

“You will never understand how difficult it is to act proper in front of your crush. You are always going to end up making a fool of yourself, one way or the other.” he states and I roll my eyes. 

“What about the time you gave me a lift from gym? Was that you acting proper?” he laughs. 

“I am a lawyer. I have a poker face and I also have arrogant masks which I use in different situations. When you got into my car, I suddenly felt suffocated and shoved into a little corner with no air to breathe. You wouldn’t have noticed, but I did turn up the air conditioner to a higher level. You made my whole body heat and your body Chizoba, good Lord.” He breathes out loud dramatically and the couple with us laugh.