CHAPTER 30

Waking up is a struggle. Fuck, one glass of wine is really enough. I blink for a few moments before rubbing my eyes and sitting up. I hear someone groaning softly and I turn my head only to see Makho half-naked in my bed. Oww. I nearly forgot about last night. Shit went sideways fast. I hate wine. I have never given myself on a silver platter like that to any man, especially one who is still courting me. Well Refilwe is an exception because there was an agreement between us. I climb off the bed and he sits up.

“Good morning.” He says in a deep, running his hands through his dreads. They were tied last night. Did things get wild to such an extent that they automatically untied themselves?

“Hey. Umm…”

“Please don’t say last night was a mistake because it wasn’t. You are a smart, independent woman who knows the consequences of her actions. Also don’t blame your doings on the wine.”

I huff. “I need to brush my teeth.” I walk to the bathroom and pee before brushing my teeth. He walks in and uses the mouth was to clean his teeth before staring at me.

“I am going to Potchefstroom tomorrow for a case and I will be there for three weeks.” Ow wow. Great. How about a one night stand before a stressful three weeks? Fuck the foreigner and be done with it. I am such an idiot.

“Yay! Good for you.” I say sarcastically and walk out of the bathroom. I locate my t-shirt and put it on. Then I begin making the bed.

“Good for you? What does that mean?” I hear him ask from behind me.

“How much of a coincidence is it? You court me, you fuck me and suddenly you have a case outside the province. That’s too much of a coincidence. Even for you, Mr. Lawyer. Try coming up with another way of dismissing me now that you have slept with me without making it obvious.” I flip the comforter with more force than necessary.

“Chizoba.” He places his hands on my waist and turns me to face him. “I am too old for games. If I wanted to fuck you once and never look back, I wouldn’t have sent you flowers. I wouldn’t have dined with your sister and her fiancé. I wouldn’t even have went for you because you’re my mother’s friend. If I wanted to hit and run, I would’ve done it the same night where I first met you.”

“You would’ve cheated on your girlfriend.” I point out.

“You are too much of a temptation, she would’ve understood.” I roll my eyes. “I love you, Chizoba. It’s crazy but it’s the truth. You’re real. You are not intimidated by my success of even attracted to the power I have at such a young age. You aren’t afraid to yell at me or insult me. I wanna get to know you better and possibly spend my life with you. I feel like I have met my match and there is no way I am going to let go of you. Not in this lifetime. So, Miss Gwendaline, this is not a fling or a one time wonder. I am in it for the long haul, well only if you will have me.”

“You know how to think lies on your feet.” He cracks up.

“Come on. I have just bared my soul to you and you think I am lying. Chizoba, you have major trust issues.” I chuckle.

“No, I don’t. I half believe you. You just have to prove how much you really love me and make up for fucking me without taking me out on a proper date.”