CHAPTER 64

Waking up, I scretch my arms above my head before taking in my surroundings. My head hurts so bad. Alcohol is not for everyone. I don’t know how groovists survive this every weekend. The life is not for me shame. I spot a huge bunch of roses which seems to have notes in it on the table right next to the balcony door. I wonder who they are from. I climb out of the bed and Mathenji groans. 

“What time is it?” She mumbles and I clear my throat.

“I don’t know but I am more interested in those roses on the table. She lifts her head up and squints her eyes at me. 

“I am sure Makhosonke sent them. Do we really need to wake up today? My head is pounding. I feel like the sangoma initiates are beating their drums and stomping their feet in my head. Make them stop.” I chuckle. My friend doesn’t stop being sassy even when hungover. 

“Come on, let’s check out the roses.” 

She sighs and sits up then leans on the headboard. “Check the note.”

I shrug and walk to the table. There is about a hundred roses here and each of them are wrapped in R200 notes. My God. When I get closer, I see another bunch of white lilies, a smaller one with R100 notes. I take the card from the roses and open it. “My beautiful Mathenji.” I immediately stop reading it and close the card. “Friend, these are for you. You better get that ass out of the bed and read the note. I am dying to know what it says.” She chuckles before getting up and walking towards me. I hand her the card and check out the lilies. They also have a card. I open it and smile.

'Dear Chichi

I know I have a lot of sucking up to do but a man has to start somewhere. I hope we can be friends someday because my woman is crazy about you. This is only the beginning. 

PS: can we please have dinner when I come back? You’re free to invite your lawyer 😉' 

This dude is charming. No wonder my best friend is smitten. I turn to see Mathenji smiling widely like a lunatic. 

I nudge her on the elbow. “what does the card say?” 

“My beautiful Mathenji. You looked really hot last night. It took a lot of effort not to come there and appreciate your beauty in person. I love you and I am thinking about you. Please buy more of those dresses with my card, every colour.” She giggles like a teenager and I laugh. She is a goner. You have to respect white dick though. 

“Hangover flew out?” I tease and she laughs. 

“Yes. What does your card say?” I hand it to her and she reads it. She snorts. “This is so cute. You see why I love him?” 

I smile at her. “I understand. Now let’s bath, look fresh and take photos with our flowers.” 

“Sounds like a plan.”

We call housekeeping before taking a shower together. Our friendship can be weird to most but we are close like that. She even suggest I wax because I am hairy down there. Girl is being extra. I swear I shaved a week ago. When we are done showering, we lotion our bodies and then put on the white robes, towels wrapped in our heads and sleepers. When we reemerge, the bedroom is spotless. The cleaner is fast.