CHAPTER 52

CHIZOBA!” A familiar voice calls out my name and I turn to find Joseph standing not far from me. He is smiling widely like he is seeing Santa for the first time.

“Joseph.” I put the yoghurt that I am carrying in my trolley and give him my attention. “Long time no see.”

“Yeah. I heard you were in town. You look so beautiful by the way. South Africa is really loving you.”

“I guess so. I found my dream job. I think that’s one of the things that is treating me well.”

His smile widens. “That’s great. I am so happy for you. We should have lunch before you leave.”

“Umm, I don’t know about that, Joe.”

“It doesn’t have to be awkward, Chizoba. We are just going to talk like old friends.”

“Except we were never friends, just exes.”

He sighs. “One sit down, for old times’ sake. Please.”

I huff. I don’t know how Makho is going to feel about this but just one lunch won’t matter. It’s not like someone is going to tell him about it or whatever. Also it's just an innocent lunch not dinner at a hotel. “Sure. We can do lunch.”

“How about today?” I laugh.

“So fast?”

“Yeah, it’s still 10 am. We can meet up around 2 pm.”

The sooner the better. “Fine. Where are we going to meet?”

“At our restaurant.” I inwardly roll my eyes. I am the one who introduced him to the nice cuisine served at Kilimanjaro.

“See you then.” I walk away and breathe out loud.

My relationship with Joe was good, some people even envied it. He really loved me and showed it. We were together for a year before he decided to take things to the next level and asked me to marry him. He had paid the dowry and one day during the second week of ije mbu (my first official) visit to his home, a young lady showed up with a huge swelling baby bump and claimed the child as Joseph’s. Joe didn’t even try to deny it, he just apologized and to say I was heartbroken would be an understatement. I just packed my bags and went back home. When I told dad about what Joe had done, he immediately paid him back half his dowry and said the half will serve as damages because he had broken his promise to the Gwendaline family and humiliated the family name. After that, I only saw Joseph once and he was doing baby shopping with his mother. He didn’t show any remorse, so I don’t know why he wants to meet but I guess I will know soon.

After I am done with the grocery shopping, I buy some grilled chicken for everyone and fruits from the street vendors for my ‘sick’ brother. Mom came to me last night and told me that I should inform Celine about a family meeting which will be held tomorrow evening since my brother is being discharged from the hospital tomorrow morning. I don’t wish to be part of that meeting because I know only drama and chaos will reign in there but I have no choice because I am the mediator of the family and I also need to be there for Celine seeing that everyone has turned on her.

As I am driving to the hospital, a call from Udoa comes in. “Hello sister.” I answer, placing it on speaker.

“Hey you. What did dad say about Eze?” she gets straight to the point, like the old Udoa I know.

“He is a bit skeptical but he has agreed to a meet up. I have done my part. Everything is in your hands now. Just don’t do something that will rub off the wrong way to dad.”