Chapter 108 - Empress Being Attacked Again

Two days later....

"All the contents in the book are too precious. I never thought I would ever see such things" Umaj said as his eyes traveled through the contents written on the book.

"There are just the half. It has more details" Nandini uttered lazily, leaning on the couch. Ageratina placed another book on the table.

"Look at this one, you are specialized in poison so hope that it will be able to help you" Nandini gestured to the book.

Umaj looked down and glanced at the black covered book "is it all about poisons?"

"I have written all these I found poisonous during my research. It couldn't be considered as all but few ones"

Umaj grabbed the book to take a look. There are few samples of plants that were glued on the page. The leaves were old and almost clung to the page like pictures. As a medical practitioner he didn't need to take much effort to find out the identities of the plants. He was also collecting some to look for study. But when Nandini gave him the book he was delighted.

"I don't know how to thank your majesty for giving me such opportunity to study more"  Umaj said.

"You can keep it to yourself. No need to return"

"Really?" Umaj's eyes widened again.

Nandini nodded lazily. Atropa served tea for them to drink. Just then a few maids asked for information to enter. Once they are granted they walk inside with a tray in their hands.

"What's all these?" Nandini frowned looking at them.

One of the maids walked forward and bowed "your majesty, her highness the empress dowager has sent some dishes to eat. She said in such period your majesty may crave for few things so she let us maids to prepare few dishes and sent it to you"

"Mother?" Nandini raised her eyebrows.

"Yes, your majesty," the maid nodded again.

"Place it there" Nandini gestured towards the small table. The maids kept the dishes before bowing and leaving the Rose Palace.

"Your majesty is going to eat those?" Umaj asked again.

"There's no harm, those maids are from mother's side. I know them" Nandini replied.

"If that's the case then I am assured" Umaj nodded "Your majesty must be tired, so I will leave first. If your majesty needs me then please call me" saying this she bowed and left the room.

"There are a few dishes my lady, there are also mixed pickles," Atropa said, opening the lid of the bowls.

"Mixed pickles?" Nandini's eyes lit up at the word. She doesn't know why but she suddenly craved pickles and it felt like she was just waiting for these dishes to arrive.

"My lady wants to taste?" Atropa asked, looking at her.

"Bring it here," Nandini said, gesturing her hands.

Atropa picked up the bowl before walking towards her. Before handling the bowl Atropa used a spoon before scooping up some pickle and tasted it. She didn't find any weird feeling and felt reassured as she handed the bowl to Nandini.

"This looks good" Nandini's mouth watered when she saw the mixture. She didn't wait for any spoon but used her fingers to eat. The pickle melted in her mouth as she savored the taste of the pickle.

"It's really good" Nandini almost ate half of the bowl before she felt satisfied.

"Should I keep the remaining lady?" Atropa looked at the bowl.