Secrets

Chapter 15: Secrets

A sound of metal clashing with the ground echoed throughout the hallway. A man in his late thirties ran around, his expression full of panic while looking over his shoulder. His every step causes his injury to bleed and drop to the ground.

"N-no. Don't k-kill me. Don't—" The man tripped and fell down on a piece of wood, blood flowed from his injuries. He looked at the dead-end in front of him, fear and despair filled his whole being when suddenly, a childish voice sounded from behind.

"Where are you going? We still have to play." The man looked back. There he found a young man in his twenties, trailing up as he saw the person he ran away from wearing black boots, black overalls, then stopping and looking up at his face he suddenly shivers. The young man following him has a weird expression on his innocent-looking face.

"I w-will tell you. T-tell you." The man on the floor stutters in fear, struggling to move backward.

"Oh? You'll tell me?" The scared man immediately nodded his head. The young man in overalls started pounding his baseball bat rhythmically on the ground while walking towards him, causing the fear of the man laying on the ground only intensifies. He has an ominous feeling. The pounding stopped near his feet as the young man sat down.

"What should I do? Now I don't want to hear anything anymore." The young man chuckled and leaned towards him while slowly pronouncing the words, "I... just want to play." He stands up abruptly and raises the baseball bat high, the man can feel the murderous intent and can't help but struggle to run but his broken knees prevent him from moving farther.

Suddenly, another person's voice sounded from the other end of the hallway, and stopped their movements.

"Little Three." The young man being called blinked, his expression changing as he looked in the direction of the voice, then a happy expression formed on his baby face.

"Second brother, you are back." Third, run to his brother after dropping his weapon resulting in a loud clang, and happily hug the older male. The other male didn't answer but glanced at his people behind. He then turns to look at his clingy third brother and a helpless expression can be seen on his usually stern face.

"Let them clean up. This matter cannot be delayed or the Master might confiscate your weapons again." Third, heard this and pouted but didn't say anything to rebut. Their master will really do that.

"Alright. Let's go and visit..." Only faint voices talking can be heard as the two walk away from the scene. The injured man almost prayed on the spot when he saw their back disappear. The man didn't struggle when the subordinates hauled him back to a stone room, extracting information from the man.

---

Hei Yanjing walks to the right, whistling through the empty alley in a good mood. He walks through the dirty alleys and suddenly stops. A person wearing a black and purple robe hiding in the dark in front of him, playing with a dagger. The figure moves his back from the wall lazily, stands up properly, and takes a few steps out to the light, showing her face.

"It seems like they pay you well?" He heard her familiar lazy voice from a distance. Seeing the familiar face, he relaxed his stance.

"It is indeed well." Hei Yanjing smirked, "What? You want a job?" She shook her head and walked towards him. Standing in front of him, she showed a rare smile.

"No. I'm here to offer you one. I am guessing you would definitely like it." He raised his eyebrow.

"Oh?" He slowly said then narrowed his eyes on her. There are only two kinds of jobs that he would like, a high-paying, easily accomplished job or...

"I heard you have a darling. So, this job will definitely satisfy you." Hei Xiazi suddenly looked interested and smiled at the woman in front of him.

"You know me too well. Say, what is it?" The woman smiled briefly and walked near him. Her lazy voice sounded velvety, hooking anyone who can hear it.

"You just need to..." She leans on his shoulder and whispers something in his ears. His expression turned to shock and felt his heart skip a beat after hearing what she said. He turned to look at the indifferent woman and raised his doubt.

"If you do that. Are you not afraid of them—" The woman laughed with ridicule while playing with the dagger in her hands.

"Since I told you to do it. That means I'm not afraid." She said faintly with a hint of indifference like the matter has nothing to do with her.

"But—" Hei Xiazi still showed a hesitant expression, and the woman noticed.

"Yanjing." Her voice changed, firmly saying each word, "Sooner or later, other enemies will come and they won't just be paying a democratic visitation. For their future, I can only be cruel."

"Like before?" He asked while looking at her face to make sure. The female nodded firmly and said faintly.

"Like before." Hei Yanjing took a deep sigh and felt a faint feeling of sympathy, as for whom? Even he didn't know.

"Okay. I will help you. I just hope you won't..." The woman listened to his words and nodded, but she kept thinking in her heart. 'For this matter, I'm afraid it is far too late.'

She took one more glance at Hei Yanjing, to which he nodded, and left the deserted and dirty alley. The wind caresses her unique robe showing an aura in contrast to the place.

Hei Yanjing watched the female walk away, turn to a corner, and disappear. He cannot help but feel sad, looking at her lonely back, thinking if only he could help her...