Leaving (1)

Chapter 23: Leaving (1)

Li Cu walked past Zhang Qiling and left after looking at the two, closing the door on his way. Silence filled the room as Wu Xie stared at Zhang Qiling, who was disoriented and had a bothered face.

"What happened, Xiaoge?" Zhang Qiling remains distracted as Wu Xie pulls him towards the bed and sits down. He let Wu Xie pull him while not looking at the younger man.

"Xiaoge?" Wu Xie whispers as placed his hands on Xiaoge's shoulders to shake, which causes the silent man to look at him.

"What's wrong?" Zhang Qiling only looked intently at Wu Xie and remained silent. As if he cannot find the words to say as he looks at Wu Xie's eyes full of worry.

"Is it a dream this time? Is it bothering you?" Wu Xie tried to guess while waiting for him to answer. Zhang Qiling finally moved and shook his head and then opened his mouth.

"I need to leave." Zhang Qiling dropped a bomb causing Wu Xie to look stunned. Wu Xie cannot help but take a deep breath and look away from Xiaoge, leaving his hold on the older male.

"Why?" He whispered after a moment. Zhang Qiling looked at Wu Xie, who tried to maintain a normal expression.

"I need to retrieve something." Wu Xie looked up hearing his reply and found Xiaoge focusing on him.

"Is it important?" Zhang Qiling didn't say anything and just nodded while looking at his warm brown eyes tinted with sadness. Seeing this, he places his hand on Wu Xie's face in comfort. Although shocked, Wu Xie leaned his head on the warm hand, not the least bit resistant.

"Then I'll go with you?" Xiaoge shook his head in disapproval causing Wu Xie to frown. "It's dangerous there, am I right?" Wu Xie asked. He watches as Zhang Qiling slowly nods his head and opens his mouth.

"And you can't enter." He added. The two fell into a stalemate as no one spoke. Wu Xie looked intently at Xiaoge for a while before he sighed. He felt powerless as he couldn't do anything but just agree with Zhang Qiling.

"How long would it take this time? A week? Or a month?" Wu Xie suddenly felt himself panicking as he thought it would be longer. He took a firm hold of Zhang Qiling's shoulders using both hands, "Don't tell me it would take years? Xiaoge, I won't be able to take it if you leave for that long again." Xiaoge notices his change of mood. He stiffened as Wu Xie unexpectedly hugged him tight, his arms awkwardly raised. His brain seems to short circuit at the unexpected action.

"I-i can't take it..." Wu Xie added. He tried to appear calm and collected but was betrayed by his voice almost breaking when he thought that Xiaoge would leave him for a long time again, just like how he entered the Bronze door and disappeared for ten years. Yes, because of it he matured as a person, not overly reliant on others but he cannot help but always feel at those moments that Xiaoge was not with him, that he really needs him by his side, and living his life seems to feel like he lost his soul without him. How many times does he keep feeling that without Xiaoge by his side, life seems to have no meaning at all?

Zhang Qiling forgets his awkwardness and notices Wu Xie's emotions. He tried to look at the face of the younger male in his arms by pulling him away but Wu Xie wouldn't budge, so he could only give up. As if making a big decision, he decisively holds Wu Xie firmly in his arms instead, his hands patting the younger male's back, giving him comfort.

"Not too long." Xiaoge finally answered and whispered it in Wu Xie's ears while he leaned his chin on the shorter man's shoulder. Wu Xie did not reply and only tightened his hold on Xiaoge and did not want to let go. He keeps on thinking about how he will miss Xiaoge while he is gone, and he cannot help but tightens his hug with Xiaoge.

First, Pangzi said he needs to leave because he has a big business. He cannot even persuade him not to go since he saw that his friends were happy after receiving the offer. Now, Zhang Qiling also needs to leave to retrieve something important to him. And this time, he did not know where he would go since Xiaoge did not tell him, unlike when he usually did when he left with Hei Yanjing. He sighs into the hug and dives deeper into Zhang Qiling's embrace, trying to savor the feeling of their intimate embrace, finding happiness in it, although it was not because of a good occasion.

Minutes passed as the two just held each other as Wu Xie felt comfortable being hugged by Xiaoge like this. They never really had much physical contact aside from accidental touches when he slipped and fell, or when there were moments when he was supported and likewise.

Wu Xie felt that it was enough and took one last snuggle on Xiaoge's chest before trying to leave the comfortable arms even though he so much wanted to remain on it. Zhang Qiling felt Wu Xie trying to leave and took a moment to reign the impulse of caging the younger male in his arm, before letting go.

"When will you leave?" Wu Xie finally spoke after sitting himself properly. He waited for Xiaoge's response and looked up when he didn't reply. Wu Xie blinked as he saw Xiaoge looking at him intently and cleared his throat.

"Tonight?" He asked. Zhang Qiling only nodded as a reply. Wu Xie prevented himself from frowning at seeing these. He felt the frustration coming at the thought that Xiaoge will be leaving so soon. He sighed deeply and turned his face away from the silent male.

"Then come back safely." Wu Xie said then the two fell into a stalemate again. Although shy, he moved his head and tried his luck by leaning on Xiaoge's shoulder. He was pleased when he felt a hand guiding his head and placing it on his shoulder while an arm held his waist for support and stayed there.

'It felt warm being in Xiaoge's arms.' He thought.

Wu Xie internally smiled and rejoiced at Xiaoge, letting him lean on his shoulder. He closed his eyes and tried to enjoy this moment before Xiaoge left his side for an indefinite period of time.

They stayed like that for a long time, no one opening their mouth to talk, just staying with each other in silence, as if consoling each other for the impending parting.