New Foe or Ally?

Chapter 53: New Foe or Ally?

A few days later...

The dark sky is bare of twinkling stars as the dark cloud started to accumulate. Sudden drops of rain fall continuously on the desolate streets that late evening in Hangzhou.

Inside the main hall of Wushanju, Wu Erbai sat on the main seat quietly. His eyes dart at the side of the room every now and then while tapping his white folding fan on his left hand. Opposite of him sat Hei Yanjing, whose face was like the weather outside, filled with gloom, in contrast to his usual teasing and flirty persona.

The room is quiet that only the sound of breathing and tapping can be heard, as both of them are deep in their own thoughts. Their thoughts spiral about Wu Xie, Xie Yuchen, Li Cu, Kan Jian, and Xiaoge, who disappeared from Flower Mansion three days ago.

Hei Yanjing sat on the chair with his arms crossed. Gone was the carefree aura around him as a scary and dangerous feeling surround him. He has been like this since the moment he found his beloved Hua'er gone, adding Wu Xie, who was entrusted by Mute Zhang to protect, plus Wu Xie's disciple and their friend. As for Mute Zhang...

A sound came from the right side of the room bringing their attention back to the present. Looking in its direction, a frustrated Wu Sanxing came back from the outside, who tried to remain calm and collected as he looked at the two people inside the room, but anyone could see that he was suppressing his anger just like the rest of them.

"There is still no news about Wu Xie and the rest?" Wu Erbai asked the moment his third brother walked near them.

Wu Sanxing gave a negative answer as he sat down in one of the available seats.

"None of my contacts have any leads. It's as if they disappeared without a trace."

Wu Erbai sighs as he put his folding fan on the table and leans on his seat. A headache formed as he thought of the situation at hand.

"It must have been planned in advance. Perhaps all things that happened were planned from the start." He spoke.

"Such elaborate scheme. Who do you think is capable of this? And why?" Both brothers have no accurate answer in their hearts. So, the two of them can only look at Hei Yanjing for answers, who was looking at the rain outside.

Hei Yanjing noticed their stares as he looked outside, observing the weather. In his mind, he is deciding on giving or not giving the answers they want to hear. Taking a deep breath, his eyes flashed with determination.

He looked towards the Wu brothers and gave them a deep look, at least that's how he thinks he does.

"Have you heard of the 'Noble Clans'?" The two brothers were stunned at the question. Hearing such a familiar title coming from Hei Yanjing, they were surprised. But thinking about it, it doesn't seem to be surprised that he knew about it. After all, he is the famous Hei Xiazi.

"Yes. We heard some things about them but most people who talk about them rarely explain the clan's existence." Wu Erbai answered for both of them.

"That's because it's a hidden rule. These clans are people who are hidden from the public's sight due to their circumstances, and the fewer people who knew, the better. The Noble Clans are known to have five families with thousands of years of history in China, whose power is greater than the government itself." He paused for a second, before continuing.

"And you happened to know a few members of them." He gave the two a pointed look as he put his hand in his pocket.

"You mean..." The two brothers looked at each other with surprise before turning back to him.