Turmoil

Chapter 57: Turmoil

The moon is up above the wide sky, presenting its pure self. A beautiful yet distant creation leading those lost in the dark.

To others, night is the best time to sleep and enjoy comfort of their own beds, but to some of them, midnight is just the right time to commit a crime.

Dark figures move swiftly under the veil of the dark, quietly and uniformed. The man leading the group stopped at remote alley, beside two-meter-high brick wall, looking back to his men. He called one of the sturdiest men in the group and let him crouch down, before he jumped on the back and forcefully jumped inside the wall. The rest of his men follow along until all of them are inside.

The leader looked around vigilantly for guards and sigh in relief before he signaled his men and split into two groups, ready to move for their purpose, when the sound of alarm rang loudly, alarming the group.

The leader's eyes flashed in panic, before it turned firm as he rushed through the appearing guards of the house. Regardless of what happened, they must accomplish their plans, or they will die for failure.

That night, countless of sound of blaring alarms, screams, and sound of weapon rang throughout the surroundings. But it's not only there, numerous houses of rich and powerful unwelcomely encountered men in black committing thievery causing chaos and destruction, making the inhabitants filled with restlessness and anger.

---

Sunlight passed through the glass window, casting the room made out of wood with golden hue, making the traditional feel filled with warmth and cozy.

The wooden door suddenly opened with a bang as Yin Nanfeng entered Zhang Rishan's office without a word. She looked around hastily till she found the owner of the room, working on some document in his desk busily, on which she doesn't bother to know. Sighing as she massages her temples, Yin Nanfeng sat down on one of the available chairs. She finally had a day of beauty sleep, and she already planned to rest the whole day only for something to break her plan. It really makes her want to curse.

"Spies are emerging from nowhere these past few days. What is it that they wanted?" Yin Nanfeng said in frustration, before pouring herself some tea to calm down. Problems have been emerging in their circle one after another that it gave her headache just at mere the thought of it. 

Zhang Rishan turn the page of the document calmly. "I don't know. But someone noticed they've been paying attention to auction houses, antique houses, as well as old money families' homes, not only here but in other cities too."

Yin Nanfeng looked confused. Auction and Antique houses? Old money? They're probably looking for an item is they target those people, possibly a very old item. As for spying on countless wealthy houses, only those big families and organizations have abundant manpower to use. The question is, who?

"Did your men found any clue?" She asked after taking a big gulp of tea to aid her thirst, before relaxing on her seat.

Zhang Rishan shake his head, still focused on the documents. "No. Those spies are too vigilant. The moment they are captured, it's either they committed suicide or escape with other means."

"That's tricky. Then I'll send some manpower too, let them help your people. Maybe they'll found something."

At this time, Zhang Rishan's phone beeped, receiving a message. He took his phone out of his pocket and unlocked the phone.

"Interesting." Zhang Rishan raised an eyebrow as he read the text, making Yin Nanfeng looked at him curiously.

"What happened?" She asked curiously. Is there another problem popping out again?

Zhang Rishan replied to the message before deleting the conversation. He locked the phone and put it in his pocket after. "A thief broke into Hou family and steal something." He said with a faint frown, seemingly thinking of something.

"Only a thief, then why are you frowning?" Yin Nanfeng raised her eyebrows.

Zhang Rishan lean on his seat, eyes narrowing outside the window before he opened his mouth. "Because not only the Hou family, even the other families also experienced this at the same time." Yin Nanfeng saw him suddenly smiling, as if finding something funny as he mumbled the word 'interesting' every now and then.

Yin Nanfeng only shakes her head at his actions and words that only he understands. Is this the side effect of being a couple decades older than he looks?

Another sound of text message filled the silent room as Zhang Rishan took his phone out again. Looking at the message, his jaw clenched in silent anger as he stand up abruptly, and left the room after taking his coat, leaving Yin Nanfeng dumbfounded at her seat.

What anger this old man this time? She thought before running after him.

---

Wushanju. Wu Erbai's study room.

Wu Sanxing hover over his brother as he watches him checked the important items in the study. Although the items are merely vague confidential documents and a few old items, it's still something a group of thieves can't rob if they want to.

"How is it? Is something missing?" He asked worriedly after his second brother finished checking.

"Luckily, nothing is missing." Wu Sanxing sighed in relief.

"We're lucky, then." Wu Sanxing sighs, before suddenly thinking of the situation. "Second brother, what do you think about this?" He sat back down on his seat and drink a mouthful of tea.

"If I'm right, then they must be looking for something. And it must be important to garner such a big movement."

Wu Sanxing leaned near his brother as if telling a big secret. "I heard, most of the things lost are made of bronze."

Wu Erbai heard his tone and looked surprise. He glances at his brother with narrowed eyes. "Bronze? What does the mastermind need it for?"

Wu Sanxing shrugged as even he doesn't know what it was for.

"I don't know. But my gut feeling is telling me, this is not a good thing."

Wu Erbai looked at his younger brother suspiciously. "Are you sure you have no connection with this?"

"I don't." Wu Sanxing raised his hands in surprise before immediately denying, slightly aggrieved. "How can I have a connection with this?"

He only got a glare still full of suspicion as a reply.

*****
A/N: It's been a while since I updated a new chapter. The laptop that I used in typing stories got broken (which is my sister's by the way). It sucks especially now that i have to use a phone to type thr story when I'm just like halfway through the ff and I find that horrible as a procrastinator 😉. I hope my sister will get the laptop fixed immediately so I can comfortably update. 

Done with the babble, updates will be slower than ever. And yes, many details will come to light as I will slowly introduce them through next chapters. Enjoy with this chap.