Chapter 5

To a certain extent, one could say that the situation was calming down. The behaviour of the students in Class 1A was more similar to that of normal, non-traumatised people, and the emotional world of her classmates was also clearer for Kaede. Kaede enjoyed the afternoons with her friends and every day in the dormitory was so special that she almost forgot that the UA sports festival was coming up soon. She had watched it in previous years, but now she would be taking part herself. Something inside her tightened at the thought of having to compete against her classmates. Each of them wanted to be a hero and would do anything to get there, which is why it would be so hard for her to defeat any of them to come out on top. Well, one of them would not be difficult for her. She was already looking forward to seeing Katsuki Bakugo lying on the ground beneath her. So they trained. Every day. For the first few days, Kaede and Mina tried to set up a joint sports schedule, but after Mina overslept on the second day and forgot about meetings after that, Kaede was the only one who went to train. The day of the sports festival came closer and closer and the students became more and more nervous. One day, Kaede felt something outside the classroom. Slowly, she crept around a corner and watched as a group of students blocked the way into the 1A classroom. Normally, she shielded herself from the emotions of those around her, but still she sensed small sparks. One among the students caught her attention. She sensed something familiar, something they both had in common. She walked straight towards the crowd and fought her way until she brushed the arm of the one she was looking for. Her gaze brushed his violet hair. He looked tired, but something in his gaze told her that he would not hide from defeat. He did not look at her until she walked into the room and sat down in her seat....She had not slept that night. She had the feeling that the dreams of her comrades were pulling at her. Every day she felt more and more the eagerness with which the others trained and now it was becoming more and more serious whether this eagerness was enough.

The night before the sport festival ,she thought about it for a long time until she could bring herself to pick up the phone and call Aizawa. "Has something happened?" A smile formed on her lips as she heard Aizawa's concerned voice. "No, I couldn't sleep. They... They all want to win so badly. I don't know how I'm going to do that tomorrow when I can barely fight the emotions now." Aizawa didn't answer for now. "Try to distract yourself. If something goes wrong tomorrow I'll be there." He didn't say it. At some point she will have to control herself. Aizawa could not bear the responsibility for her actions forever. "I'll try." She had the feeling he nodded. "If there's anything, come over." "Okay, thanks." She hung up. Normally Aizawa would be a outside right now, but because of his injuries he couldn't. "Did something happen?" Why did everyone think she would only call if something had happened? But Hawks didn't sound worried like Aizawa, more excited. "I want an adventure." "Kaede, now that you're at UA, it's not that easy. When I was in charge we could do whatever we wanted, but now..." "I have my own responsibility. I have to get out of here now, I have to save lives now." "But tomorrow..." "I have to distract myself from tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a normal day, nothing special. Besides, Aizawa told me to distract myself, so theoretically he gave me his permission." He didn't answer, hesitated. "I can't just get you out of UA, they'll make me one head shorter." She smiled. "Don't worry about it, just wait for me at the gate where you're just out of camera radius." When she said nothing else, he took the opportunity. "Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't better have followed the rules after all." "Well, now I'm an unpredictable child and I've learned everything from you." She imagined his brow darkening. "Please don't brag about it or I'll feel guilty." She laughed as she hung up. She dressed all in black and tied her long hair in a braid. Quietly she walked to the window, she was far too impatient for all the stairs. From her balcony, she dropped down to the one below her and also the one below that until she finally hit the floor.

She ran the rest of the way across the grassy area past the dormitories, some of which even still had lights on, even though it was long after midnight. Just before she reached the gate and the cameras, she took a deep breath. She held her breath as she stepped through the gate and also as she descended the hill a little. No alarm went off. "Do I want to know how you did that?" Hawks smiled at her. "A wizard never reveals his tricks." He tossed her a bag. "Put this on, after all, I can't give you back broken." "Did you just buy me in or what?" He didn't answer. In the bag was a belly belt with a knife and a stun gun, also hard boots and a dark jacket with a hood. "This outfit has absolutely no fashion sense," Kaede grumbled. Hawks eyed her. "When you get your own licence, you can go out in your hero costume, but what we're doing right now is theoretically illegal." "Theoretically." "Then let's go now. Fly." His eyes flashed as he came up to her and lifted her.