Chapter 75

Her body was dead. It was a fact that her heart was no longer beating, there was no air in her lungs, no blood was being pumped through her veins and her brain had stopped working, and that 40 minutes ago. For people who believed in a soul, that must have been enough time for it to leave the girl's body too. Even if she were to be revived, she would not be the person she had been before. After 40 minutes of brain death, it would be a miracle if she was even viable and the only thing she did was not just blink. But the doctors, unknowing as they were of her condition, put the defibrillator on. When the cold metal touched her body, nothing happened. Her body was thrown upwards so that her necklace slipped under her shirt. The pendant touched her collarbone, her bare skin. Another electric shock was sent through her body. Golden light emanated from the pendant. "We have a pulse!"

A blond boy stood in front of them. He held out his hand and smiled. They took the hand and a twitch went through their body. A shock of electricity that felt like lightning went through their whole body. But even though it hurt, the boy held their hand and smiled.

When does an existence begin to ask itself who it is? Because while they were lying there, there was nothing around them. The nothingness felt so familiar, as if they had been there before. Coma. Exactly. The door to this peaceful nothingness was a coma. But how had they ended up in the coma? They had a feeling as if something was pulling at them. That something wanted them to leave this peaceful dark space, but they didn't want to. There was peace in this darkness, in this emptiness. A peace that did not exist in the real world. The last time they gave in to this pulling feeling, they woke up in a strange world. They remembered the feeling they had then. Everything was strange and they were small, without protection. They had to protect themself. They were tired of protecting themself. They didn't have to here. Here they could be without being. They were an awareness without being aware, not knowing who they were, but it was pleasant. It was nice to be nobody, deep inside they knew it was nice not to be themself. They ignored the pulling feeling because they did not want to go back. Their body had just decided to go back to work, the bodily functions, including their Quirk, had taken control, but their mind would not go along with it. They were not ready to live. They were ready to die, they felt that. If this darkness was death, then it was beautiful.

"So she's alive?" "Her heart is beating. She's in a coma that no one knows if she'll ever wake up from." "She's been in a coma before, then she'll surely wake up from this one too!" The doctor's assistant left the room to get some papers. "She won't wake up again Mina." Confused, Mina turned to Bakugo. "Did you just call me Mina?" "She was dead for 40 minutes. Her brain wasn't working. As has been stated, it was a miracle that her Quirk responded to the electrics of the defibrilator. Great. Now she's lying here and if she somehow wakes up in a few years, she won't be able to speak or remember us. She is not alive. She's lying there. And when she wakes up she won't be Kaede anymore." "Stop it." "Why should I stop? Will she stop lying there when I say so? Will she get up again?" He chuckled "Shut up Bakugo! Stop it!" Bakugo also got louder: "She didn't stop either! I told her not to do it! I held her down, but she just did it! She killed herself just so I could live!" Mina looked at him with tears in her eyes. Tears she let flow while he quickly wiped his away. "I don't want to live like this. It's not a gift, it's a burden. She forces me to live like this, she thinks I'm happy this way, but she's stupid. She's a stupid, naïve.... she's... she... I don't want her lying there. I want her to get up. I want her to stand up and say that death won't stop her. Because that's how it is. how it should be. " "She will get up! She is Kaede, the Kaede we know. She will not disappear, you would know that if you knew her. She promised Eijiro to dye his hair, she told Denki to help him. God, she wants to see Eri grow up, you think she'll give up? She'll fight! That's the Kaede we know. The Kaede who is there for everyone in the class, who saves us from any shit we start. She's our friend, she won't let us down you idiot! You miserable idiot. Katsuki Bakugo you idiot think she's lying there not listening? She hears every word. She hears me screaming right now, so you'll understand. She hears me and she knows that if she dies now, I will personally dig up her coffin." An octopus nurse removed her from the room. Katsuki complained for hours afterwards that Mina had screamed so loudly, but Mina smiled. She smiled because Katsuki had stopped looking sadly at the floor.

When does a place where there is no sense of time start to become boring? They had the feeling that they had already been there forever, in the place that is not a place. Maybe that was a character trait of their person. It was boring. They were unaware of the outside world, no touch, no voices. Did anyone talk to them at all? Did anyone want them to come back? They had no intention of waking up, but it would be nice if someone was there to miss them. 

An existence asks itself who it is when it knows it will change. It had become boring to be nobody. It brought peace, but that peace was so quiet, so empty. Their character was probably not that of a calm and patient person. Time passed. Time when they were alone, with no senses to tell them what was going on. But then they heard something. Something soft. Voices shouting at each other, while they could only understand whispers. They heard or sensed emotion in the voices. This desperation, but also determination. "She is stupid, naïve" Is that me? "She is Kaede." Yes, that's me. My name is Kaede, but who am I? "She will not disappear. She promised Eijiro to dye his hair, she told Denki to help him. God, she wants to see Eri grow up, you think she'll give up? She'll fight!" If that's me, I should really fight. "That's the Kaede we know." But not the Kaede I know. "The Kaede who is there for everyone in the class, who saves us from any shit we start. She's our friend, she won't let us down you idiot! You miserable idiot. Katsuki Bakugo you idiot think she's lying there not listening? She hears every word. She hears me screaming right now, so you'll understand. She hears me and she knows that if she dies now, I will personally dig up her coffin." Kaede heard Mina scream. She felt the vibrations in mina's voice, how sure Mina was and how worried she was about Kaede. She remembered. She remembered who she herself was. There was no longer an existence floating in the empty black space wondering who she was. It was Kaede. And as Mina had said, Kaede would fight.