Chapter 100

"After an attack on 80 students of the UA five days ago, some are injured. And one dead. We commemorate..." Kaede didn't want to hear it. She had just woken up in some alley, stumbled out and that was the first thing she heard? No, thank you. She didn't even know where she was. She felt weak and drained. Wait, had she heard that right, five days? The others were probably worried about her. She had to get back. But she... she couldn't yet. If they were really back at the UA, she couldn't stand it there. Not without him. She wanted to go back to Eri, to Aizawa, she knew she had to be there for the others too. Oh God, how was Izuku and Eijiro and Mina and just everyone. It was selfish to hesitate, but she couldn't help it. He was dead. Nothing would bring him back. If she wasn't so exhausted, she would have definitely hit something with her Quirk. She wanted to let out her frustration, but instead she walked the streets like a corpse. Had it really been five days? What had she done in that time? Had she slept or could she not remember? The blood around her wounds had dried, but they had degenerated. Her neck was also swollen and her leg blue. "Hey you, are you okay?" She winced as someone addressed her. "Do you want me to call someone? You look like you need an ambulance." Guess it was time to face the future.

5 days ago

"Get out of the way, I'll do it." Denki pushed his way between the people kneeling beside Katsuki. Areza was also sitting there. "You have to revive him, only then can I heal." Denki put his hands on the chest as a shock went through the student's body. "His chest is rising and falling again!" "I knew it!" "What did you know Deku?" "Kaede's mark is on his forehead, see? He should have been dead long ago because of his injuries, but she gave him strength, she kept him alive until we got here." "That's what she had said, right? We'll keep fighting until help arrives. She defeated Shigaraki, she saved us all." "But where is she?" "She... I saw." They turned to Mina. Tears streamed down her face and she trembled in Eijiro's arm. "What did you see?" "I couldn't move, I was on the ground when Shigaraki, when... when he had Bakugo. So I used the comm to call for help, but Shigaraki took it from me. But-" A sob interrupted her explanations. Eijiro stroked her back. As if that would give her strength, she continued. "Kaede must have heard. She came and she fought him. She was hurt, but she fought, she gave Bakugo strength before.... Before..." From the mood, you knew the students suspected it already but no one dared to interrupt Mina. "He held her up, her skin had dissolved. He killed her, but at the same time an explosion went off. Shigaraki was thrown away and Kaede..." Mina sobbed. "She's manly, she fought until the end." Eijiro too had tears in his eyes. Izuku looked at Katsuki as he cried and Ochako leaned on his arm. Areza gritted her teeth. "It's all because of Kaede. Without her, he would be dead. Not just because he lasted so long with her strength. She talked about him last night. She talked so much, I know Katsuki Bakugo better than he knows himself. The healing is easy, don't worry about it." Even though that was good news, they couldn't help but think of what had been sacrificed for it. "He'll be mad." "He will." "Can we give him a sleeping pill? Until the pros get here. I'm sure that's soon." "We have to hope so."

...

Who would have thought that she had to drive twelve hours to the UA. The outward journey by bus was four hours but apparently she was thrown quite far away by the blast wave. She had no money to pay for the taxi but she told him to charge it to the UA. Apparently he recognised her too. Pale, as if he had seen a ghost, the taxi driver drove straight off. Kaede was asleep. Although she had probably lain in a corner for the last 5 days and had not moved a bit, she was still tired. But it was understandable when she thought back to the fight. She had triggered a violent shockwave twice, taken away pain, given Katsuki her strength... True, her strength had not lasted long, but the will counted, it was still lacking. She probably would have called the UA and saved the taxi fare, but she wanted to delay the confrontation. She just didn't feel she was ready. "I don't want to live without you." Why would anyone say something like that? It was almost as if she had conjured up disaster by saying it. Her head lay exhausted against the cold window pane, following the skyline of the motorway. She tried to concentrate on that, because everything else caused too much pain.

She ran through the forest. Haunt Dog or whoever was standing guard would surely spot her. Such drama. She decided to put it off until tomorrow and slipped past everything. It felt nice not to be seen. So liberating. It was dark in the dormitory, maybe 4 o'clock, everyone was asleep and no one was awake yet. She trudged quietly up the stairs until she reached her room. She had already held out her hand when she hesitated. Her eyes wandered to the other room, which was now empty. It stung her to know that it would probably remain empty for a while longer. Her hand dropped and she opened Katsuki's door instead. Actually, she had hoped that he was there after all. She still hoped he would show up as she lay down on his bed. Without making a sound, she cried into his pillow. Shit, it even smelled like him, it was a shitty idea to come here. It hurt, it hurt so fucking much, but.... if she could choose where she wanted to be, she would still choose Katsuki's room, because even though it tore her apart and increased the pain, she felt like he was still here. Maybe she was losing her mind, maybe she had already lost it, because when she fell asleep she could swear Katsuki was lying next to her.

Rays of sunlight woke her. They dazzled her eyes and cast a bright light on her messy hair and the dark circles under her eyes. She tried to fix her hair in the window pane before stealing a hoodie and sweatpants from Katsuki's closet. It wasn't as if he would miss them anyway in the future. She still looked like a ghost, maybe that was what made her different from Katsuki. She could still wander around as a ghost, because they were both dead. Kaede wondered if class was continuing as she descended the stairs. She heard the sound of dishes, but no voices. God, they really need to be cheered up, this atmosphere is unbearable. People were already looking in her direction before she could see them all. The others were pale. "Guys, I know I've been gone a long time, but-" "Is it really you?" Probably a fair question considering Toga had pretended to be Kaede before. "Yeah, did Toga get away or what?" Mina had gotten up and stood a few steps in front of Kaede. She eyed her. "It can't be you." It was less than a whisper, maybe like a gust of wind. "Yes, it is me. I'm sorry-" Mina cried. Shit, she had made Mina cry. "I... I saw you die, I... I can't believe this." She turned to the others at the table. "You see her too, don't you? Am I imagining it?" "It's very unlikely we're all imagining it." Then it was as if something clicked. Mina fell around Kaede's neck and began to cry loudly. In that embrace, Kaede was struck by how much she had longed for Mina in the last few days, for someone to just hold her. The others talked wildly and Kaede got a headache. "Someone get Aizawa." "I'm looking for Bakubro." Kaede broke away from Mina. "Just because you thought I was dead doesn't mean Katsuki will suddenly come back to life too." Eijiro faltered and gave Kaede a confused look. "Um Kaede. Katsuki is not dead." There it was. They really had all lost their minds. "He was lying there Eijiro, his dead body-" She didn't dare continue, luckily Izuku stood up. "His heart stopped beating, but Denki got it going again. You had given him strength, remember? That's what kept him going until Areza could heal him." "That doesn't make sense Izuku, his injuries were too severe to be healed." "Areza said you told her about Kacchan the other night and that's how she was able to heal him. And with your power-" Kaede was losing patience. She didn't want to hear these trumped-up excuses. "I gave him my power, yes, but he died and then it was gone." "The mark reappeared when Denki revived him. You must have felt your power being drained, what did you do after Mina thought you were dead?" "I... I was thrown away and..." She was unconscious. Five days. Then she had woken up and... "I heard the news, he's dead Izuku, don't fool me, don't make me hope." This discussion robbed her of the last bit of strength she thought she had. "The news reported a dead student, they meant you." Kaede stumbled back a step, Mina still holding her. An inner conflict raged inside her, while she still wasn't sure if she should believe it. Tears stood in her eyes. "Kaede?" She didn't answer, she couldn't open her mouth. Was he really alive? "Kaede are you alright, you look pale?" She looked up from the floor into the worried faces of her classmates. Oh dear, the shock had done her no good. She was dizzy, on the verge of losing her balance. She looked down at her hands, which were shaking violently. "I think I'm going to faint." With these words, she toppled over. Mina tried to hold her tightly, but was only pulled to the ground with her.