Chapter 50

The problem with her Quirk was that her body reacted even if her mind could suppress the influence. She was awake, but her eyes were closed and her body immobile. Someone had inflicted a wound on her upper arm. So Izuku had understood what she meant. She only hoped that he had also taken her knife back with him. She had no intention of forgiving him if he lost it. Blood ran from the wound and with it some of the medicine she had been given. Izuku was carrying her, at least she hoped it was Izuku. She was only sure of this when she blinked and saw green light around her. Izuku looked down at her. "We were only able to get away because you tricked Aizawa." She wanted to reply, but her tongue disobeyed her. Only a gurgle came out. "You must wait until everything is out of your system." He set her down behind a trailer. "Drink this." He handed her water, but she did not yet control her hands. He held the water to her lips and she drank until she regained her speech. "Where did you get the water?" "I think it has something to do with the man's Quirk: he controls. Something triggers this control and he gives the individuals certain orders, such as fight your comrades. But there are tiny moments when this connection seems fragile. Probably a moment when the controlled begin to question. In that moment, Momo made the water for me." "You do know it could be a trap, right?" "It was too- I don't think so." He sat down beside her. "The woman with the third eye will have found us already. We must have fucked up pretty badly." Izuku looked around, but Kaede continued to speak, unperturbed. "At least it's Aizawa's fault, he misjudged the situation." "What do we do now?" Kaede looked into Izuku's eyes and smiled. "Fight, of course." No matter how hopeless the situation was, Izuku wouldn't just run away. Especially not when they had lost their comrades. "We will save them." "Where do we start?" Izuku pointed back to the hedge. "Let's form a plan."

It was perfect to work with Izuku. Their ideas complemented each other perfectly and Izuku understood exactly how Kaede's Quirk worked. They perfected the plan until there were only 3 risks left. "I guess we can't skip those three aspects, we'll just have to leave it to fate." "I don't like it, but we have no choice. They don't need us. They will kill the others as soon as they are of no use to them." "Or as soon as the control wears off."

The two had separated. It was the best decision to gain time. Kaede ran towards the prisoners while Izuku sprinted towards the exit. That way they hoped the others would prioritise Izuku. "You're back." Kaede stepped out of the shadows towards the centaur, there was no time to lose. "Control only activates when certain commands are triggered, right? Are you in control right now?" The centaur shook his head sadly. "I can't talk about it." Kaede held out her hand to him. "I want to save you. Will you give me permission?" Confused, the centaur stood there. Kaede raised her hand higher. "May I touch your forehead?" The centaur had an oppressive feeling. The girl's eyes radiated that warmth. A warmth he had never felt before. He wanted to be close to her, he wanted to allow her. "My body is not mine, I am chained, so why do you ask?" She smiled an encouraging smile. "I've told you before. I was trapped too. And even though my body wasn't mine, I made sure my mind couldn't be corrupted. I offer you the same. Because all it takes is one tiny little gesture and you make your body your own. All it takes is one determined struggle and you are master of your mind again." The centaur stood there speechless. He nodded. "I allow it." Inwardly he beamed, laughing a wonderful laugh, for no one had asked his permission since he had been chained as a foal. Kaede put her hand on his forehead. She tried to weave through his feelings as if they were tall grass. The stalks bent in the wind and gave her direction. She looked for something in him that would tell her if he was really positive about her. She sensed that she had changed something in him. She stepped back from him. "I'll set you free." She drew her knife." He eyed it critically. "As much as I admire you for your determination, I don't think this toothpick will do anything to the chains." She smiled at him. "That toothpick is connected to my Quirk. It's right up against my life force, it's a part of me, to exaggerate. I've looked at your emotions. I know you. I know you better than you know yourself because I saw what you don't want to admit." Golden streaks formed around her knife. "To the outside world, you pretend not to care. You don't look into the distance for fear of what you might see. Your gaze is fixed on your chains, always reminding you that you are trapped here." The knife vibrated as kaede held it closer to the chains. "So look at the chains now. See them break." Sparks flew as kaede lashed out. "But your core is full of an irrepressible longing for freedom. And that longing is so raw and unsatisfied that you've locked it away for fear it would consume you." She looked him in the eye. "But let me tell you, I release that longing. I'll take your power and break the chain with it." The first blow was the easiest. The chain on his neck was off. In disbelief, the centaur stared at the remains while Kaede was already working on the next one. With each blow it became more difficult. She had already forgotten the power of the first blow and sawed the last chain free. The centaur did not move as Kaede still knelt by its hooves. 'Shit, that took more energy than I thought.' Hesitantly, the centaur moved its hooves. "You are free, may I ask something of you?" He eyed her. "Just because your chains are off, you won't be free for good. They will hunt us both. Would you run for the exit? I need you to distract them, all of them, so I can take out the woman. Once she's out of the way, I can take them one by one." "Do I have a choice?" "It's up to you."