Chapter 32

"I will now tell you what it is all about." Aizawa stood in front of the classes after all the games had been played through and they had a lunch break. "The operator of a party recruited three couples and wanted to choose himself whom. It was his idea to make it a ball game. I'll keep it short. Momo, Katsuki, Itzka, Yosetsu, Kaede and Neito were chosen. Please stay for a chat." "Wow Kaede, Yaomomo! You've been chosen!" Enthusiastically, Mina slapped them on the shoulder until Aizawa scowled at her. "So, tomorrow night there's a gala of sorts at a tower in town. You've been recruited as waiters." "Waiter?!" Outraged, Katsuki raised his hands. "It's an honour. To be allowed to set foot in the building... You represent the UA there, no slips will be tolerated from any of you." His gaze swept over each of them. "There will be no heroes there, but elite fighters paid to carry out orders. Look around, learn, but do not do anything for which you will be held accountable. Any other questions?" No questions...."This is what we have to wear?" Momo, Itzka and Kaede wore a short black dress with gold embellishments that grew wider over the skirt. While Momo and Itzka did very well with the high heels, Kaede had trouble walking on them. In the end, she walked between the two of them so that they could help her in an emergency. "You three look terrible!" Both neito and Katsuki mocked the girls. "You bastards!" Itzka just cursed, while Kaede was already getting down to business, trying to kick neito. In the process, however, she fell over. They laughed the whole way to the building, then fell silent. Figures in black suits and white masks stepped in front of the car. They were searched, scanned, questioned and then invited inside. A woman gave them instructions and various trays to take into the other room. It started straight away. There were an incredible number of people in the other room. They were all wearing fancy clothes with heaps of jewellery. "So this is high society." Yosetsu whispered next to Kaede. While Kaede remained standing uncertainly, Momo had already fought her way through the crowd and was handing out drinks. The others were now dispersing as well. Squeezed in, Kaede just stood in the room while someone kept taking something from the tray until it was empty. Sighing, she made her way back to the other room. A hand grabbed her arm and a chill rose up her skin. Someone pulled her through the crowd, which parted to give her more space. Confused, she found herself in the back of the room. "Hello little girl." She turned and looked into the eyes of a man whose face was framed mainly by a brown beard, curls and red hat. "Who are you?" She snatched her arm from him. "I have work to do." He didn't look as rich as the others. He wore no jewellery, no gold, no rings. But he stood out, he was special. "Well, you work for me, so I'm not allowed to talk to my subordinate?" Her eyes widened. "So you're Marcol?" "Who else could I possibly be? Am I not unmistakable?" "No, no I just thought..." "I don't like to make a big deal about it, even though you're cute trying to salvage what you've screwed up." When she blushed he put a hand on her cheek. Her whole body tensed in an attempt not to run away from him in disgust. "I didn't invite you all just because I needed waiters, no. I needed actresses to win a competition for me. Your teacher told you to do everything I asked of you, right?" He moved closer to her and she fled closer to the wall, his hand slowly sliding down her neck onto her shoulder. It couldn't be that Aizawa meant something like that either. She lifted her chin. "No." "Ahhh, so headstrong. I like that. But I won't take no for an answer. Your task is this."

All she had to do was draw a lot. He had not told her whether the others should draw one too, but she did. She poured more glasses and supplied the guests with delicacies until a spotlight came on and the crowd fell silent. "Good evening ladies, gentlemen and non-binary sparkles!" A raspy voice rang through the microphone. "We will now draw the lots. As you may already know, different designers will draw a lot and dress that person. The result will be presented appropriately and then the winner will be chosen. I will ask the slaves of the lot numbers to come directly to the stage afterwards, please." Startled, she looked around. Slaves? What kind of event had Aizawa sent them to? "First designer receives number 034." It went on like this until all 10 designers were called. Kaede's number was fortunately not called. Relieved, she turned away from the stage and was about to leave when she was grabbed from both sides. The tray fell out of her hands and landed crashing on the floor. "Let go of me!" "This is number 012." "I'm not 012, I'm..." She couldn't look for her slip of paper with the number on it, the elite guard next to her already had a slip of paper with 012 written on it in his hand and was pointing it up. The path parted and she was pushed to the front. Behind the man who had drawn the lots stood Marcol, grinning bitterly. It was him. It was all him, pulling the strings...."I'm not participating." "You can't just drop out. That's the deal." "I'll report you. All of you in this building." "Why do you think the UA just sent you guys to us? We're trusted. If something's wrong, we'll go somewhere else." "I don't care, I'll leave now." "You can go if you want, but as soon as you step foot out of the room, your friends will be executed." She stopped. "You can't do that, you'll be-" "What, arrested? You don't understand girl. The UA must face the consequences, not us. We're framing you for some mistake and your death was justified. No one is going to ask questions. It will be as simple as that. Or you can choose the other way, which, by the way, is also simple. You play along." She had no choice. She turned and stared into the mad eyes. ...The designer put her in a tight white dress. The fabric was tight around her stomach but loose around her chest and legs. The straps were fine gold chains that also ran down her back. She had been given even higher shoes that tied up her leg and her hair was pinned up. "She looks like an angel." "That's the plan." "But it's not enough. It's too plain." The designer was still doubtful before Marcol convinced him. "It's the overall impression. She looks so insecure. Let her stumble. Let a strong man hold her. And then." He made a dissolute gesture with his hand. Then he pulled her hair. They fell wildly. "The finale." He pulled the chain at her back, loosening the strings on her dress. " They will fall for her. All of them. And we have won. Easy."Kaede knew there was nothing she could do. The elite guards were everywhere. Aizawa had warned her that they would do anything for payment. Had he suspected something? Was that why he had hesitated? Did he have hope that the six of them would make it out again? Even if she used her Quirk now, she didn't know where the others were. A bullet could hit faster than she could look around. So she sat there. Hands all over her, lacing her dress, tying her shoes and pinning her hair. Just like a doll, and he held the strings.