Chapter 29

"When is the girl coming back?" Izuku looked up. "What girl?" "The girl who is like me. I want my room to be nice, that was her idea." Izuku frowned. "Can you describe her or do you know her name?" Excited, Eri stood up and walked to a drawer. She pulled out a picture and held it up to Izuku's nose. There was a stick figure on it, it had yellow hair and was holding the hand of a little stick figure and a big stick figure. "Is that Aizawa?" "Yes! How do you know?" "His hair is very long." Izuku had to stifle a laugh. "And the girl?" "Kade." Izuku thought for a moment. "Do you mean Kaede was here?" "Yes" Izuku frowned. Eri shouldn't be overwhelmed with other people. "And do you like her?" Eri looked at him. "Yes. I hope she comes back."

"Eri said something about Kaede, was she with her?" Aizawa looked up. "Yes, I thought Kaede would understand her well because of her Quirk. In the end, I was right. Eri was crying and talking about her past. If we can get her to move on from it, maybe she can live a normal life." "That's all I want for her."

"Kaede!" Eri came running towards them before Kaede could say anything. "Hi little one." "Are you making my room nicer now?" "We'll do it nicely together. Izuku told me you don't want to wait at all." Kaede walked over to the table and set her laptop down on it. "Look." Eri came over and raised her arms. "Do you want me to pick you up?" Eri nodded officiously. Sitting on her lap, Kaede opened the image search. "Look, what do you think of these fairy lights?" They picked out some things together that Eri liked and Kaede promised to get them and return soon.

...

Izuku had obtained permission to go out to visit his mother. During the whole time with her, he was not relaxed for a moment, but rather nervous. He nervously pulled his sleeve over his arm injury again and again. Every time his mother's eyes fell on his scars, her gaze clouded and a twinge formed in his conscience. When they said goodbye, her smile was weak and worried and that was what struck Izuku. His mother had no faith in the heroes or in him. Lost in thought, he walked around. As he thought about his mother, he also thought about his former self. He found himself on the roof where he had been standing before. The difference was not only that the sun was shining in his face and that back then it was the moon that greeted him. When he wanted to take the step off the roof back then, he didn't, only for his mother and Katsuki. Now he only had more responsibility. More burdens he would have to carry. If he were free, if nothing hung on him, would he jump?

...

"Izuku is weird today." Mina continued to eat, unperturbed. "What do you mean. He's the same as always, isn't he?" When Mina noticed that Kaede's gaze remained on Izuku, she put her fork aside. "He's been like this since his internship, all of them. You weren't there, but it was much worse during." "What was worse?" "Well, The interns showed marked improvements in training, but apart from that they had a hard time... I don't know how to say this.... to be themselves? They stared at their food for minutes, didn't react when you said their name and Izuku was so depressed he just started crying. Maybe we're still too young to work the extreme activities of heroes." Kaede swallowed and looked at the others who were interning. They seemed to be back to normal. At least their hands weren't shaking like Izuku's were. "Maybe I'm just interpreting too much." Kaede continued eating and Mina also picked up her fork again. "You worry too much about the others, that's all. Izuku will settle down, his internship has ended after all." Kaede nodded. "My internship with Hawks will continue, but I don't really do dangerous things either. I patrol and do secret missions. The night patrols are the best anyway." "It must be so cool to intern with Hawks!" "Well, when we walk the streets together we get stopped all the time. Girls admiring him, kids wanting autographs and the press taking photos throughout. It's a bit exhausting, but Hawks is always flying and he can't do that with me all the time." "What's he like? Not as a hero, as a person, as a teacher." Kaede wondered. She knew him as a brother, as her best friend. "He's funny but is also thoughtful, at least he doesn't let on. He's always concerned that I'm doing well. When a fight starts, he pushes me behind him..." While Mina exclaimed loudly "Awww", Kaede thought back to her internship.

Hawks had stood in front of her, shielding her from the criminals with his wings. Yes, it was cute. It was sweet that he wanted to protect her, but she didn't need the protection. She had dived under his wings and finished off the criminals. Offended and shaking his head, Hawks looked at her with his arms crossed when she was done. "You know, I don't know if I should enjoy you doing my job or be afraid." "You're my taxi. Usually taxi drivers enjoy driving prominent people around, don't they?" He looked at her, thinking of what to say back, but he slumped his shoulders. "Point taken." She smiled broadly as she thought of it.

...

It was just a normal hero training. Teams of three against each other. Izuku, Shoto and Kaede against Katsuki, Kyoka and Yuga. While Shoto fought Kyoka and Yuga, Izuku faced Katsuki. Katsuki shot violent explosions at Izuku who was caught in a constant dance of jumping, ducking and rolling to the side. Kaede slowly crept up behind him and took the opportunity when Izuku was on the ground and Katsuki raised his hand above him. Kaede wanted to use the normal grip of grabbing your opponent by the shoulder, pulling him back and sending him flying over your shoulder, but while she was grabbing Katsuki's shoulder, he went berserk. He wheeled around to her even faster than she could pull him and kicked her in the side with full force. She held onto him to keep from kicking to the side. Maybe she would have fought him if she hadn't been so surprised, but it remained that she kept losing to Katsuki. While she clung to him, he grabbed her and tried to push her off him. Kaede was used to it, she even expected to see anger in his gaze. The normal anger, that he was upset about everything and everyone, called them all extras, was in a bad mood and was the typical Bakugo, but she didn't find that. As he pushed her away, his eyes did not flash with anger, they were clouded with panic. He wasn't scared, all he was doing was getting her off him as quickly as possible. Terrified, she let go. Katsuki directly took a few steps backwards so that he was standing with his back against the wall. Kaede could see the tension leave his body as he pressed himself against the cold wall and exhaled deeply. He had his eyes closed, he did not move. But she knew his mind was racing. She stared at him as he had the silent panic attack. Izuku was staring, and the classmates behind the camera probably were too, so she tried to bring the situation back into her control. Kaede went to Izuku and offered him a hand. "I think I hit him a little too hard with my Quirk." Izuku looked back and forth between them. "You go ahead and see Shoto, I'll take care of Katsuki." Izuku nodded and disappeared around the next corner. Kaede slowly walked back to Katsuki. The moment she was directly in front of him, he collapsed. She tried to hold him upright so everyone wouldn't see him fall over. She continued to press his body against the wall, because apparently that helped him. Her body shook with the effort as she pressed him against the wall with her arms. "Come on, just a little." She gritted her teeth. A signal sounded. "Team Midoriya wins." At that moment the cameras also went off and she let go of katsuki. They both fell to their knees together. Her side hurt even more than before, now that she was sitting. Katsuki opened his eyes powerlessly. There was no panic any more, but no anger either.