Chapter 70

The lab

"It's always the two of you. I always end up with you two in such shitty situations." Kaede slammed a box full of cleaning pads on the table. "Katsuki I swear if I hear one more complaint out of your mouth. If you had lower grades, you wouldn't have ended up here with us." "What the fuck are you babbling about-" footsteps sounded in the hallway and they fell silent. The door opened and a lab assistant entered. "You know, the interns don't really hide until the real work starts. You're just in the entry phase and you're hiding here in the cleaning room?" "We are not hiding. Someone told us to clean. I can't quite understand why we're only accepted here as model students when our only job so far has been to scrub and polish the surfaces." The lab assistant tilted her head. "We need to be able to classify you. If you don't manage to remove all the stains, you won't be able to follow what we explain to you. We are the most famous and important private laboratory in the area, you are lucky to be accepted at all, because our name looks perfect on your CV." She gave each of them a stern look. "This is not a playground. No fooling around. Do your jobs."

The parcel station

Hanta and Mina enjoyed the job. It was a little exhausting, but actually quite comfortable. They received and handed out parcels, that was all. The difficult part of the job would be to examine the parcels from the lab, because for that they would first have to recognise them. "Nothing yet?" Hanta sipped his energy drink. "Nothing." The supervisor came back after a few minutes, carrying some cupcakes and sandwiches. "Lunch people!" They were having fun with the job.

The transporters

Fumikage walked the dogs. He never thought he would end up like this, but there he was: sunglasses on his head, newspaper in front of his face, legs crossed on the park bench, while the two dogs romped around in a meadow. Of course, he was not there for fun. This was heroic work, there was no room for fun. He was supposed to be on the lookout for suspicious people. Because if the transporters were anywhere, it was in this park. There were drug dealers everywhere and people doing business with other things. After the team in the lab would find out what was being shipped, he would have to find out who was putting the stuff into circulation. He admired Hawks for the planning, because all three groups had to do their job for this. One misstep and it was over.

...

When Katsuki, Izuku and Kaede returned, Fumikage was sitting on the floor playing with the dogs. Kaede paid no attention and just walked straight ahead and dropped onto the back of the sofa. "I hate it already. How am I going to do this for weeks?" Irritated, Fumikage stood up. "What did you have to do?" "We had to clean!" Katsuki yelled halfway across the room. "Those assholes made us scrub, mop and plop every surface so you could eat off it! We had to clean every test tube and every tool, wash every fucking lab coat and all the other shitty stuff those motherfuckers were too lazy to do so they made us do it!" "My hands no longer exist. Even though I had gloves on, my hands smell like the detergent since this morning and have you seen Izuku? He's traumatised!" "What happened?" "That's what we just said! We had to clean!" "Ah." Kaede stared at Fumikage, uncomprehending. "What did you do today?" "Well, I went to the park with the dogs and-" "You went to the park?! We're doing heavy lifting and you got to relax in the park with my cuties?" "No, I had to-" "No, I don't want to hear it, it just makes me more depressed." Katsuki was standing by the fridge, fiddling with some package. At a loud noise, the dogs jumped to him and barked loudly. Kera bit into his trousers and pulled hard. "Shit you bastard, let go." He pulled against it without hurting the dog until Kaede finally called the dogs back. She reared up threateningly in front of Katsuki. "Did you just insult my dog?" "You're lucky I didn't shoot him across the room." They both stared intently at each other as Izuku and Fumikage grew smaller under the tension in the room. "I've had enough, you're coming down to my room." "Why should I go to your room with you?" "You and the dogs are going to do some training with me to strengthen your relationship, because I don't feel like always having to rush to your rescue." He couldn't talk his way out of it. When she opened the door, the dogs already ran in and threw themselves into the corner. He followed her to her bed and sat down next to her. "So? What horrible procedure do I have to undergo?" "Kera, come here." The dog came and licked Kaede's hand. Katsuki tensed. "Are you scared?" "No." "I'm sure they just don't like you because you're an angry pomeranian yourself." "You little-" She took his hand and held it out to Kera. The dog sniffed cautiously, then licked. "Well done Kera. Katsuki's quite nice when he's not shouting for a change, so don't bark." She rummaged in a bag and gave Katsuki something. "Here, give her this." Kera put his fingers in his mouth too, so they were full of dog slobber afterwards. " Ugh, your fucking dog slobbered all over me." "Cute, isn't it?" "Anything but cute." Kaede's expression darkened. "We're still doing the same thing to Roki now, so watch your mouth."

"Guys what are you doing in there? We're back!" Mina banged on the door. "It's not even locked, just come in!" Mina entered the room with a grin. "I'll knock on any room you two are alone in." They ignored her comment as Mina's expression turned disappointed in response. "Why don't the dogs greet me? Kats, what have you done?" "Looks like I'm the dogs' new favourite." Kera just looked up from Katsuki's lap for a moment and wagged her tail, then relaxed again. "I'm the dogs' favourite." As Kaede stood up the dogs followed her. "Watch out, not for long."

Kaede went to the spiral staircase and shouted up, "Birdbrain, are you there?!" No answer. "Kera, Roki, get Hawks okay? Fetch. Yes. Get the bird, come on!" "Did you just say get the bird?" She looked apologetically at Fumikage. "I always say that when I'm looking for Keigo, sorry." "Ahhhhhhhh." A loud scream sounded from above and something fell to the floor. Quick tap, and then the dogs could already be seen on the stairs, a packet of chicken nuggets in their mouths. They brought the prey to Kaede. She stroked their fur: "Well done, you did very nicely." She threw the slobbered pack on the table and waited for Hawks to finally come down. "Chicken nuggets again?" "Where are they? Where are my chicken nuggets?" "You cannibal." Feathers shot out and rescued the packet from the table. "It's wet!" "We'll cook you idiot, no chicken nuggets for you! We're honouring you with the best chefs in 1A, so sit down and listen to the report."