Chapter 68

They gathered in the living room. Kaede had found Yuga, Kyoka, Momo and Mashirao. Izuku had Tsuyu, Toru and Rikido, however he had managed to find Toru. In Mina's entourage was only Denki and Ochacko. Fumikage had no one. "Did you even look?" "I was looking. I just didn't try as hard as you did." Hanta had only Shoto. "It was in the kitchen cupboard okay!? I gave up and went to eat biscuits and instead of biscuits I find Shoto." Katsuki had Tenya, Koji, Mezo, Ochacko and Eijiro. "Looks like I actually won, light bulb." Kaede was already in conversation with Mina. "Do you know how I found Ochako? She was hovering over us the whole time and at some point she just dropped down, like a dead fly. I had to take care of the poor thing first, that's why I couldn't look any further." "You are a true heroine Mina." Eijiro stopped Katsuki from going after the two. "Let's get to the award ceremony!" Momo took out 6 small boxes. "You know, I had actually already prepared a phrase where I would have said: You're all winners because everyone found one of us, but Fumikage crushed that possibility for me." Fumikage looked at them apologetically. "It's all good. When I improvise, the words come from the heart. We have a gift for each of you. They are pendants that I made. Each has a different one. When you are gone... ...maybe they'll remind you of us." She handed out the boxes. Kaede opened hers. On black velvet lay a golden pendant in a hexagon shape. It was gold-plated at the top, but transparent at the bottom. Inside it were tiny golden shards that gathered in a frozen swirl. On the top was engraved in fine writing: The golden light of 1A. Kaede beamed. She forgot to check her Quirk, she was so speechless. The others also looked up from their gifts as golden streaks emanated from Kaede and filled the room with light. "Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me." She fell around Momo's neck. "I'm glad it makes you happy." They showed each other the pendants until Tenya cleared her throat. "I'd like to say something too." They fell silent again and looked at Tenya. "I am proud of you for going on an important mission with Hawks, you have come a long way. As class president, I say represent UA, 1A well, do your job." He cleared his throat again. "But I think I speak from the soul of everyone here when I say, as your friend, take care of yourselves. I don't want you guys to get hurt. I want to see you all back here, so don't do anything stupid, will you?" They clapped after Tenya's speech. Izuku assured him not to hurt himself while he made Kaede promise the same. "Things will be different here without you." Kaede laughed at Toru's theatrical voice. "It'll be a lot quieter without us, enjoy it." "I don't think I can enjoy it if I'm worrying about you all the time." "It'll be fine, I promise." She hugged Toru. When the others saw this, a huge ball of hugs formed. Eijiro slowly made his way to the core. "If you guys are gone I'll have to gamble with Denki the whole time, oh man." "A farewell round?"

They played round after round, in between Tenya insisted on a game of chess. Koji took heaps of memory photos and at some point Kaede noticed Shoto pulling her away from the crowd, with the alibi of getting more Coke. "What's wrong?" He propped himself up against the counter before looking at her again. "I wanted to say goodbye. I don't like this big commotion." She nodded in understanding. "I think the others need this big goodbye. It might be our last." "Don't say that. You take care of each other. Hawks is with you too. Nothing's gonna happen." Kaede smiled at him. "I'm glad you feel that way." He took her in his arms. Kaede was surprised by the sudden touch. "I'll miss you Shoto, hopefully I'll be back soon." "You make the UA feel like home. You remind me so much of my mother. Please, you have to come back." He stared into her eyes, she stared into his. "You with your promises." Laughing, she broke away from the embrace. "I can only give you empty promises. I will do what I have to do. I will protect the others and if you ask them, they will probably say the same. We will take care of ourselves Shoto, don't worry." Shoto smiled. "Izuku said the same thing." Kaede nodded. "That's my Izuku." When she came back out of the kitchen, Katsuki and Eijiro stared at her. "We've been waiting all this time. Another round?" She nodded apologetically. They played a few more rounds. Neither of them wanted to go to bed. Kaede's eyes were falling shut more and more, so her head was also slipping more and more to one side. Katsuki and Eijiro were also about to fall asleep. She had actually been leaning against the sofa, but ended up lying against Eijiro's shoulder and only vaguely moving the controller.

Eijiro woke up in the middle of the night. He felt weight on his shoulder and looked around. Kaede was leaning against him, her hands still on the controller. He looked down at himself and noticed that he was also still holding the controller. He put it away. Then he gently took Kaede's head and placed it against Katsuki's chest. Eijiro grinned. He made his way to one of Hanta's cosy hammocks, but tripped over some body parts on the way. He was already half dead while walking, so he didn't get up when he fell on something soft. He just mumbled something and quickly fell asleep again.

...

"Oh god."

When Aizawa entered the room, he thought the students had been attacked. The room looked like a battlefield. Mina and Denki were lying on the tables holding hands. Well, not the whole hands, just the little fingers. A chess set lay on the floor and the pieces were scattered everywhere. Tenya was lying on some chairs, the blanket under him instead of over him. Aizawa saw some hammocks that looked like a giant spider had spun his children in. Most of the students were lying on the floor, but Yuga was on his mattress. "Of course." Aizawa continued to look around. Further back in the room was a pile of students. Eijiro was lying across Rikido and Mashirao as if he had tripped. Aizawa's gaze fell on the television. It was still on, showing a leaderboard of a Mario Kart race between Eijiro, Katsuki and Kaede. "Maybe he sleepwalked from there." Aizawa saw Kaede and Katsuki lying on the sofa, controllers still in their hands. "I think those two and Yuga are the only ones who were comfortable tonight." He spun around and was about to wake Mina when he saw Shoto. "That boy." Aizawa shook his head at this sleeping posture. He himself preferred to be curled up in his cosy sleeping bag. He could still understand the students lying on the floor with blanket and pillow, but Todoroki had gone over the top. He was lying on the floor in an outstretched starfish position. He looked as if he were dead. "Not today, I need more coffee first to deal with the whole class." He only woke those who were to leave for the mission, after all it was 4am and the others had class with him today. When Mina woke up she almost rolled off the table. Hanta, on the other hand, actually fell out of the hammock. Izuku and Fumikage crawled out of the piles of bodies from somewhere. When he woke Katsuki and Kaede, Mina and Hanta were suddenly wide awake. Before any of them could say anything and Bakugo started yelling, Aizawa declared, "Get your things, we're leaving right away." That left the students no time for the kids' stuff. They crept up the stairs and came back down with bags. "I hope you guys said your goodbyes yesterday, there's no turning back now." He escorted the students to a car that stopped just outside the gate. "Your hero suits are already loaded. We won't hear from each other again until after the mission. Remember what I said. Come back safely." The others had already got in and were trying to make out something through the blackened windows. Kaede hugged Aizawa, or he hugged her, in any case they were both entwined. "I miss you already. I don't know if I can do this without you." "You can do anything Kaede. You have the strength, you just have to use it. I trust you'll come back safely, okay? I don't want to lose you. You mean everything to me." "I won't let you down."

In the car, Kaede sat down next to Mina. "Can you explain to me why you two were sleeping peacefully together on the sofa while I was on the table? My whole body is stiff!" Kaede tried to defend herself. "Eijiro was actually sitting on the sofa too, I don't know where he went." "Don't give me excuses! Poor Izuku and Fumikage had to sleep on the floor! What do you have to say in your defence?" "I'm sorry!" "And you Katsuki?" He didn't open his eyes as he snarled, "Stop messing around Racoon eye or I'll kill you all." She actually wanted to tease him but Izuku pleaded, "Please, I'm sitting next to him, I want to live." So the car ride remained calm after all and the driver actually believed in UA's good reputation.