Chapter 8

The fact that she was better than Shoto did not cheer her up in the least. She had been so close to Katsuki, so close and now he wasn't even interested in her. He shouted after Izuku. Yamada had rattled up and down the rankings for a while until he mentioned Kaede again and asked Aizawa how she had managed to go unnoticed for so long. They briefly faded in a video because a couple of participants were still very far behind, and showed Kaede walking naturally through the robots that paid no attention to her. "How did you do that?" Kaede turned and saw Shoto standing next to her. She was about to answer when Aizawa took over, "It must have something to do with her Quirk, she used the same trick at the end when Katsuki and Shoto were fighting each other." The two then discussed the fight Shoto and Katsuki had had. "You know, when I looked at it from the side, it looked more like a fight between children to me." Shoto just looked at her puzzled. "did it?" She nodded. "Will you come with me to Izuku? We need to give him hell for overtaking us."

As they walked to izuku, she hugged him enthusiastically. "You did it! You got first place!" Nervously, he scratched the back of his head. "Yeah, I can't believe it." "I can't believe Deku did it either!" As Katsuki began to shout again, Kaede rolled her eyes. "Please Bakugo, do us a favour and shut up for a moment." "Shut your own mouth you little shit!" "Katsuki, that's no way to talk to a lady," Shoto defended. Izuku slowly backed off while the others now took over the arguing. "She's not a lady after all, look at her, she looks just as filthy and battered as we do." Kaede looked down at herself and unfortunately she had to agree with him. "You know katsuki, I almost forgot. Thanks for reminding me that I ended up in the dirt about 100 times the whole way to the finish." "You landed in me too." "Shoto landed in you too." "It's your fault that you ended up in me and it's your fault that Shoto ended up in me. Are you still going to dump me with other people today?" As she was about to reply, Midnight intervened, "Oh those young people, did you even listen to what was just announced?" "Midnight, please don't say anything strange now that will traumatise me for the rest of my life." Katsuki looked at them both critically. "Have you known Midnight for a long time or why do you talk to her like that?" "We've known each other a long time, she..." before Midnight could answer Kaede intervened, "Well, it's a long story, not for between breaks. So what did you want to tell us Midnight, what did we miss?"

It was up to Kaede how to handle it. No one had forbidden her to talk about her past or about her Quirk and she didn't want to make a secret of it and yet... yet she was afraid how the others would react to the truth. She didn't know if the others were ready for it, or if she herself wasn't ready yet. After all, her Quirk was more than what she had shown so far. Also, that Katsuki had seen her in a weak moment bothered her quite a bit, but as long as she kept an invisible line, it wouldn't be a problem.

Equestrian fights. It was immediately clear to Kaede that it would require teamwork. That Izuku had so many points would make him a target for those seeking greater heights. Kaede looked around for a while before deciding who she wanted to team up with. She rejected Mina, which made her feel guilty, but they just weren't a good combination. She held her breath so no one would speak to her again before she reached her destination. She was standing right in front of the boy with the purple hair. "My name is Kaede Miharu, third place, and I would like to team up with you." He eyed her. "Hitoshi Shinsou." She glanced at Mashirao, who was standing next to Shinsou, not taking in anything about his surroundings. Seriously, she turned back to Shinsou, "Do you have him under control of your Quirk?" She didn't even have to use her Quirk to see that she was right. His posture stiffened, but he put his head on one side without answering. "You don't have to force me to do anything with your Quirk, I'm volunteering with you." "And why are you doing this?" His voice was calculating, he didn't trust her. "I need a team I'm sure to win with. Everyone I know is too flashy and I noticed you in the hallway a few days ago." She didn't say she'd wanted to talk to him all along, that would be too stalker like. "And how exactly do you plan to help me? I have him here for physical strength and extra support and he there has a Quirk with which he can control fluids, how are you going to help us?" She ignored him and turned to the red-haired boy, "So you can control people's fluids?" He stuttered, "Well, so... I'm not good... I can mess them up for a few seconds, but more- but nothing more." Kaede smiled encouragingly at him: "I have a strategy. How long can you all hold your breath?"